Mount Royal avenue images

  • Christopher Miller
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 15, 2002
      People who have been following postings about the campaign for a
      green/carfree Mount Royal avenue in Montreal might like to take a look
      at the photos on this site, which show much of the main portion of the
      avenue:

      http://www.urbanphoto.org/montreal/plateau.htm

      At the top of the page there are links to photos of other Montreal
      neighbourhoods. Take the tour and you'll get a taste of pre-modern
      Montreal architecture, complete with the ubiquitous external staircases
      coming down (usually in a sweeping curve) from the second floor
      balconies. This is something that Christopher Alexander talks about in
      his pattern number 100, cited on page 255 (?) of _Carfree Cities_.
      Another site illustrating these staircases, this time with paintings,
      is here:

      http://membres.lycos.fr/hebertmi/galerie.htm

      Some of these illustrate staircases in winter. In the book, Joel
      objects that such outdoor staircases would be impractical in winter,
      but here in Montreal, where we get enough snow to share around and more
      yet, it doesn't really cause much hardship, in fact I would say that
      sidewalks are more difficult to navigate than the staircases
      themselves. When November comes around (about now in fact), you just
      lay down the sisal matting over the steps to give extra traction
      through the winter months; when you get a good snowfall 1) it really
      does look lovely sitting in separate mounds on each step and 2) it
      isn't that hard to shovel or even kick off the steps.

      I think that older Montreal architecture contains wonderful examples of
      human scale building (generally a maximum of three storeys high,
      counting from the ground) and visually delightful detail that ought to
      serve as models for building in a carfree city.

      Chris Miller

      Christopher Miller
      715 ouest, boul. Jacques-Cartier
      Longueuil QC
      J4L 2S2
      Canada

      +1 514 995-0185 (mobile)
      +1 514 987-3000 x 2361# (office/bureau, Montréal)

      christophermiller@...
      miller.christopher@...