Re: [carfree_cities] Re: My website about life in Phoenix, Arizona

  • Kevin Goss
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 11, 2002
      Chris,

      Good point about the short distance from my new home
      to the park-and-ride lot. I would prefer to ride my
      bike, and plan on attempting to do so. Unfortunately,
      the only route that leads to the lot is a narrow
      two-lane road without any shoulders and with
      irrigation ditches on both sides. Plus, the speed
      limit is 50 MPH. Bicycling along this route appears
      to be potentially deadly.

      Once I'm into the new home, I plan on petitioning the
      city of Phoenix to place a bus stop sign one mile from
      my house. The bus currently goes by the particular
      intersection where I want the stop placed, but it does
      not stop there because it is in the middle of
      cornfields.

      I do not feel that I am supporting the development of
      greenfield lands by moving to this subdivision. There
      are new homes being built in much more remote places
      around here. Did you know that metropolitan Phoenix
      is growing by more than 100,000 people per year? Do
      you have any suggestions on how to accomodate that
      amount of people without developing along the fringes
      of the urban area? This is an issue that doesn't
      appear to have any solution, other than putting a
      moratorium on all new development.

      Kevin

      http://launch.yahoo.com/u2