Re: My website about life in Phoenix, Arizona

  • Chris Holt
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 10, 2002
      One question. Why are you devoting a website to the promotion of
      suburban, greenfield development that you admit will be turning into
      a suburban slum in the near future? I can understand just how
      difficult it is to find the perfect neighbourhood, we are all trying
      to do so. However, it seems to me that you've given up your quest to
      join the majority ranks of suburbanators.

      Chris

      P.S. In Arizona, I think it would be quite easy to ride your bike
      the two miles to the park-and-ride year round. I commute 20 miles a
      day all year in frosty Canada, so I don't think two miles is too far
      to be "car-free".
    • Kevin Goss
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 11, 2002
        Chris,

        Good point about the short distance from my new home
        to the park-and-ride lot. I would prefer to ride my
        bike, and plan on attempting to do so. Unfortunately,
        the only route that leads to the lot is a narrow
        two-lane road without any shoulders and with
        irrigation ditches on both sides. Plus, the speed
        limit is 50 MPH. Bicycling along this route appears
        to be potentially deadly.

        Once I'm into the new home, I plan on petitioning the
        city of Phoenix to place a bus stop sign one mile from
        my house. The bus currently goes by the particular
        intersection where I want the stop placed, but it does
        not stop there because it is in the middle of
        cornfields.

        I do not feel that I am supporting the development of
        greenfield lands by moving to this subdivision. There
        are new homes being built in much more remote places
        around here. Did you know that metropolitan Phoenix
        is growing by more than 100,000 people per year? Do
        you have any suggestions on how to accomodate that
        amount of people without developing along the fringes
        of the urban area? This is an issue that doesn't
        appear to have any solution, other than putting a
        moratorium on all new development.

        Kevin

        http://launch.yahoo.com/u2