Bike riding at night in the rain--a pleasant surprise!

  • John O. Andersen
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 9, 2002
      Bike Riding at Night in the Rain--A Pleasant Surprise!

      When we embarked on our family-car-less lifestyle at the end of August, we expressed concerns about having to ride in the rain, and having to ride at night. Neither prospect went down very well.

      Well, last night the kids and I combined the two when we went to Kory's cub scout pack meeting.

      And you know what? We loved it. In fact, Heidi said it was "refreshing." And I noticed both Heidi and Kory's stamina have markedly increased. They hit the two hills with some speed now, and chug away without letting up.

      When we got home, I dropped the kids off, and then pedaled to the store to get a big box of laundry detergent (we were out), and some ice cream bars (as a Friday night family treat). Even after that, I wasn't anywhere near soaked.

      Okay, it wasn't a downpour, just steady sprinkles. Our full fenders worked as advertised. And the city lights reflecting in the cloud cover made for significantly greater visibility, even though we had headlights.

      And no, we weren't wearing any special rain gear, but we do have some available for the real downpours.

      Thing is, even with all of the rain we get here in Portland, I still think it will be a rare occasion when we have no choice but to ride at the very moment of a massive downpour. Rather, if we must face rain, the more likely scenario is what we encountered last night, or perhaps a mist.

      So the perceived hardship was far less painful than our fears had us thinking it would be. And, on a psychological level, we're discovering that bicycling gets easier and easier to do the more we see how much money it saves us.

      Afterall, the money we save by going family-car-less, will enable us to afford a 10-day family trip to China next fall; a first for all of us. I think some may agree, with a goal like that in mind, it's gotta be a cinch to put up with a little rain and darkness from time to time.

      John Andersen
      Unconventional Ideas at http://www.unconventionalideas.com