Re: [carfree_cities] Compressed-air powered transit system

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 8, 2002
      Let's not spend more time on this.

      1) It has nothing to do with carfree cities

      2) It's an engineering boondoggle--there just isn't enough
      energy in a tank of compressed air to power a car any great
      distance, and there's no miracle of efficiency. High-pressure
      cylinders are very heavy and extremely dangerous in crashes.

      Enough said?

      Regards,

      >I think this is the best bet concerning engine technology. "The air
      >car" is already being manufactured and they plan on producing "the
      >air train" which could be the more intelligent invention since... a
      >long time!
      >
      >Info (in french) on the transit system project :
      >http://www.mdi.lu/transport_urbain/index.htm
      >
      >Info on the compressed-air engine technology :
      >http://www.theaircar.com/
      >
      >Today is a better day!
      >
      >Fred Therrien
      >gambadeur@...