Fw: [carfree_cities] Re: Articles needed

  • Mike Morin
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 9 8:36 AM
      Mike Neuman? wrote:

      There is an excellent video out on the carfree State Street Mall in
      Madison, Wisconsin. State Street runs from Bascom Hill on the Univ.
      of Wisconsin campus and ends about 1.5 miles at the State Capital
      building. No cars other than service vehicles are allowed on the
      street. (There are also sidewalks.) Bicycling is allowed on the
      street, but so (unfortunately) are buses.

      The city almost has to allow the buses to use the street in order to
      get people to get shoppers to State Street, students to the campus,
      and state office workers to their jobs downtown. Madison's downtown is
      located on an isthmus, making use of other streets by the buses
      difficult. The prohibition agaist car travel on State Street has been
      going on for about 20 years now, and people (other than some of the
      merchants) like it that way.

      If someone decides to write an article on State Street, I would
      attempt to get the video for them.

      Mike
      (608) 266-5428 or email mtneuman@...

      Mike Morin responds:

      Eugene, Oregon, the home of the University of Oregon has had a pedestrian
      mall in the city center for about 25 years.

      Recently (within the last year or so), there has been an active campaign by
      merchants and construction companies to open the downtown to vehicular
      traffic, culminating in a referendum about 5 months ago, in which the
      proponents of vehicular traffic won by a margin of something like 51 to 49%
      (i.e. illusion of special interests: the people have spoken, the system
      works, etc).

      Construction has started to open the pedestrian mall to vehicular traffic.
      Seems to me that Eugene is moving 100% in the wrong direction. But why
      should the college town be an isolated beacon of enlightenment?

      Mike Morin

    • Mike Morin
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 9 12:24 PM