Addition to City Design site

    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 5, 2002
      Hi All,

      I've just rearranged the new photographs of Italy so
      that the better images come first in the threads. I
      think some of the less-good images will still be useful
      both to me and to others, so I've left them there. There's
      now also a "Previous" button:

      http://www.carfree.com/design/02/index.html

      Question: Do these JPGs take too long to download for most
      of you? They average 104 kB, with the range being about
      35 kB to 189 kB. (It's interesting how much variation there
      is--they are all the same size and compressed at Level 6.)

      If many of you are having trouble with this site because of
      long download times, I could generate a new series of JPGs
      that would be smaller (480 instead of 720 pixels in the long
      dimension) and compressed at, say, Level 2. These would
      probably run about 25 kB each, or about 1/4 the file size.
      (These values are for unsharpened images; with hard JPGing,
      I don't think it makes sense to sharpen, which increases
      the file size.)

      I tried a couple of sample files at Levels 0 through 3, and
      the quality loss at Level 0 and Level 1 is pretty bad.
      Level 0 produces a file about half the size of Level 3.

      So, if lots of you are having trouble downloading these
      images because of their size, I'd consider a secondary site
      with smaller, poorer JPGs.

      Thoughts?

      Regards,

      -- ### --

      J.H. Crawford Carfree Cities
      mailbox@... Carfree.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 5, 2002
        J.H. Crawford wrote:

        > Question: Do these JPGs take too long to download for most
        > of you? They average 104 kB, with the range being about
        > 35 kB to 189 kB. (It's interesting how much variation there
        > is--they are all the same size and compressed at Level 6.)

        I just got DSL, so the download is no problem. Level 6 is the lowest
        I'd consider for pictures such as yours--I NEVER go below 4, even for
        banner graphics; it's just too ugly. Sometimes GIFs will be smaller and
        still look decent; you might experiment. GIFs won't work where there
        are smooth tonal transitions, though, at least not much of the time.

        If you have large areas of single color--blue sky, blank wall, for
        example--the picture will be smaller even though processed the same as a
        more complex image.

        Instead of text for "Next" and "Previous," I'd suggest little pointing
        triangles at the lower corners of the pictures. Intuitive, and they
        don't vanish below the fold as the text does on most screens.

        Good pix. Loved the curving stair-street in Perugia!

        Rick
        http://www.living-room.org
        http://www.newcolonist.com

        "Hope cannot be said to exist, nor can it be said not to exist. It is
        just like the roads across the earth. For actually there were no roads
        to begin with, but when many people pass one way a road is made."

        Lu Hsun
      • Patrick McDonough
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 5, 2002
          Don't go to GIFs for photos. They have a 256-color limit and will look
          terrible. I have a dial-up connection and while they're not incredibly
          fast, I find them worth the wait. If you can do the batch-process thing and
          don't mind doing a high bandwidth/low bandwidth site, that's always an
          option.