Re: [carfree_cities] Getting Carfree Concept into American Lexicon

    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 4, 2002
      Richard Risemberg responded:

      >I've been harping on this for a while on the Urban Ecology forum. I
      >agree that we need to be on TV and in mainstream print forums. My
      >partner in New Colonist is a videographer and I know at least one other
      >who would be sympathetic to the cause; both have editing equipment. I
      >know other folks who would work cheap. (I live in Hollywood.) NC is
      >planning an educational video already; I and other can write and
      >storyboard, and, as I said, we can probably find production folks who
      >would work cheap.

      I agree--based on the little I know, prodction is not a great problem
      with today's technology.

      >I have been mulling a story concept for a carfree cities ad in my head
      >for a while. A couple, actually. I think we could get a series done
      >fairly cheaply--thinking with wild optimism, I suspect we could do four
      >30-second ads for about ten thousand bucks. TV quality is low; anything
      >that would play well on a computer monitor would play well on TV, so we
      >could produce in some digital format for editing if we had to and then
      >transfer to tape.

      Sounds right AFAIK.

      >The hard part will be getting placement. Adbusters
      >(http://www.adbusters.org/home/), which does this sort of thing with
      >their "uncommercials," has had placement refused even when they were
      >willing to pay undiscounted ad rates. It took a court order, I believe,
      >to get a network to play one of their ads for pay, as if they were any
      >other advertiser! But the ice is broken; it can be done.

      But you have to have the money to pay for placement, and I think
      that's a great deal more than the amounts we're talking about
      for production. At the moment, with the Institute on indefinite
      hold, we don't have any money or any prospects for it.

      >If it looks like we can get serious, I will formalize my ad concept,
      >storyboard it, and put it out for criticism. The NC project is not
      >strictly speaking carfree--more of a general overview of livable
      >cities--so we'll go that alone.
      >
      >I'll make the time to work on this IF it looks like we'll actually be
      >able to afford production. Can't go on spec right now--too booked up.

      understood.

      >One hundred people with one hundred US dollars each could pay for our
      >four ads. If we make them, I'll run them on NC for free; NC doesn't
      >just preach to the choir; our city pages get a lot of hits from folks
      >who are just looking for a good restaurant or nightclub or for
      >neighborhood news.

      Even if that would pay production costs, it still leaves the
      question of placement costs unresolved.

      I'm thinking more in terms of feature-length stuff that would
      run on Discovery, NGS, PBS, etc., and might actually put money
      in the till from royalties. I think we could do a 23-28 minute
      show (in various lengths for commercial/non-commerical stations)
      for something on the order of the $10,000 we're talking about
      for four ads, and then we wouldn't need money to broadcast it.
      We would, of course, still need that $10,000....

      Regards,

      -- ### --

      J.H. Crawford Carfree Cities
      mailbox@... Carfree.com
    • Erik Rauch
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 4, 2002
        On Mon, 4 Nov 2002, J.H. Crawford wrote:

        > I'm thinking more in terms of feature-length stuff that would run on
        > Discovery, NGS, PBS, etc., and might actually put money in the till
        > from royalties. I think we could do a 23-28 minute show (in various
        > lengths for commercial/non-commerical stations) for something on the
        > order of the $10,000 we're talking about for four ads, and then we
        > wouldn't need money to broadcast it.

        PBS (American public television) has carried programs recently which
        indicates their possible receptiveness, such as:

        "Store Wars: When Wal-Mart Comes to Town"
        http://www.pbs.org/storewars/story.html

        "Think Tank: Suburban Sprawl"
        http://www.pbs.org/thinktank/show_724.html

        There have also been several features on News Hour.
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 5, 2002
          Erik added:

          >PBS (American public television) has carried programs recently which
          >indicates their possible receptiveness, such as:
          >
          >"Store Wars: When Wal-Mart Comes to Town"
          >http://www.pbs.org/storewars/story.html
          >
          >"Think Tank: Suburban Sprawl"
          >http://www.pbs.org/thinktank/show_724.html
          >
          >There have also been several features on News Hour.

          So, ok, do we try to get these guys to do our show, or do we make
          our own and distribute it to them? This question is especially
          relevant right now, as the matter of shaping public opinion and
          building political support seem set to become important themes
          at the forthcoming Car-Free Cities III conference this spring in
          Prague. I think we've got to get this idea in the faces of millions
          as soon as possible, and we can't use commerical media to do it,
          because they won't run our shows (car ad revenue is at stake).

          Regards,

          -- ### --

          J.H. Crawford Carfree Cities
          mailbox@... Carfree.com