Grants from Robert Wood Johnson Foundation

  • erik_rauch
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 1, 2002
      Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2002 18:59:58 -0500
      From: Bryce Nesbitt <bryce2@...>
      Subject: Active Living By Design

      FYI: The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation just launched a multi-year
      $16.5-million initiative to encourage 'active living' -- community
      designs that encourage non-car transportation trips. Grants of up to
      $200,000 are available for a wide range of interdisciplinary projects:

      http://www.activelivingbydesign.org/
      http://www.rwjf.org/newsEvents/mediaRelease.jsp?id=1033151614023

      Maybe this grant is of interest to you also.

      (The Community Path organization was contacted and invited to apply,
      though an integrated approach [health, education, safe routes to
      schools, TDM, shared/zipcar, transit, public policy] would be stronger
      than a simple path construction grant. With connections to three subway
      lines, though, RWJ really likes the path.).

      -Bryce
      http://www.pathfriends.org

      http://www.pathfriends.org/alewife/section_boston_north_simplified.gif
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 2, 2002
        Erik Rauch posted the RJW piece.

        It's good to see these grants being made, but they seem to be
        for small, on-the-ground projects, so I don't know if they'd
        even entertain a proposal from us. They don't even have a link
        to Carfree.com, despite having hundreds of other links.

        Regards,

        >FYI: The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation just launched a multi-year
        >$16.5-million initiative to encourage 'active living' -- community
        >designs that encourage non-car transportation trips. Grants of up to
        >$200,000 are available for a wide range of interdisciplinary projects:
        >
        >http://www.activelivingbydesign.org/
        >http://www.rwjf.org/newsEvents/mediaRelease.jsp?id=1033151614023
        >
        >Maybe this grant is of interest to you also.
        >
        >(The Community Path organization was contacted and invited to apply,
        >though an integrated approach [health, education, safe routes to
        >schools, TDM, shared/zipcar, transit, public policy] would be stronger
        >than a simple path construction grant. With connections to three subway
        >lines, though, RWJ really likes the path.).
        >
        > -Bryce
        > http://www.pathfriends.org
        >
        >http://www.pathfriends.org/alewife/section_boston_north_simplified.gif

        -- ### --

        J.H. Crawford Carfree Cities
        mailbox@... Carfree.com
      • paulparma
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 2, 2002
          --- In carfree_cities@y..., "J.H. Crawford" <mailbox@c...> wrote:

          > Erik Rauch posted the RJW piece.
          >
          > It's good to see these grants being made, but they seem to be
          > for small, on-the-ground projects, so I don't know if they'd
          > even entertain a proposal from us. They don't even have a link
          > to Carfree.com, despite having hundreds of other links.

          Joel, what if you go after $200K for a Documentary?

          Then a seperate $200K for a 3D simulation?

          Both using grad students, etc., (Hey, spielberg was a hungry grad
          student once.....) and activist volunteers (as upon request advisors
          and gophers to keep the #$%@ out of the way), make your self
          co-executive producer along with someone who understands the costs,
          and general how tos of making movies for the documentary.

          the Simulation could be spliced into the movie...

          Austin is a Movie Center want to be place. All the the PC downturn,
          DotCom bust and general slowdown has hit us harder than other US
          cities, so alot of us are hungry; maybe it could be done for the
          $200K per. The University of Texas Community and Regional Planning
          department might be interested but may not hav ethe computer and
          personel resources to a Simulation. HOWEVER, the
          Mechanical Engineering department here (and at Texas A&M near by, by
          Texas standards)is strongly tied to some guys who do such simulations
          for |Light Rail promotions and of all things, Traffic accident
          Simulations for court cases... The new Mueller Airport Redevelopment
          targeted for mixed-use relative density (uses a new urbanism
          zoning)already has a Movie Studio facility (I think Linkleter [sp?] is
          there now, among others).

          I'll ask around in Austin about whether something could be done for
          $200K on each item, but I'm not sure what you had in mind. If you
          would consider it and you don't have grant requester writers
          available, I'll ask a particular professional here who unfortunately
          doesn't like density BECAUSE SHE IS ENVIRONMENTALLY CONCERNED AND
          THINKS IT TAKES AWAY GREEN SPACE IN THE CITY! But I'll try or maybe
          let someone else try to get her if needed. If you are from Sierra or
          the ACLU she'll work for you for sure.

          Side subject: Man, we HAVE TO get Sierra Club into educating its
          members. The leadership changed their view in the mid to late 90's.
          BUt most of the rank and file environmentalist and most American's
          don't get the idea of less space taken by non-farmers is more for the
          critters and farms or the simple rules of synergistic users that make
          spaces positive or just and only for use by transients and vehicles,
          etc.

          Anecdote; 'Was spontaneously riding along with another cycler as we
          passed an old cemetary that happened to be on a route that was ideal I
          think for a light rail (low gradient, right spacing from other
          potential routes, etc...) if density was increased along it. I
          meantioned, that I loved that cemetary (I love cemetaries; In the Us
          its about the only place other than Mountains, etc. that you get that
          sense of perspective that old things give you. You're gonna die, as
          generation upon generation have died.), however I thought however
          unlikely that it happened, I would like to see it become a mixed-use
          development along side a futer tram line. He said, "That's all we
          need are somne high rises there. You know there are a couple of foxes
          that live there?" He was an environmentalist and propbly well eduacted
          by that community, but not on urban density choices and their effects.
          A proper three to five story development would free up environment
          outside of town for thirty ofr more foxes, maybe even alow the foxes
          to stay inside the city as well. (The question of getting rid of
          cemetaries is of course arguable, I just think cemetaries are not a
          responsible use of resourses and are symtamatic of a lack of long
          sightedness. Venice's Cemetary Island of San Michele only lets a body
          be marked at a grave for 12 years then it marks another).

          Paul Parma
          info@...