Re: [carfree_cities] Getting Carfree Concept into American Lexicon

    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 1, 2002
      paulparma wrote:
      Hell, I bet even The New Colonist will
      > put 'carfree' into their web pages keywords for web searches, which
      > they understandably don't do now; BECAUSE ITS NOT IN THE LEXICON
      > YET!

      Okay, thanks to your eltter, The New Colonist HAS put "carfree" and
      "car-free" into its meta tags. As of five minutes ago.

      Richard

      http://www.living-room.org
      http://www.newcolonist.com

      "Hope cannot be said to exist, nor can it be said not to exist. It is
      just like the roads across the earth. For actually there were no roads
      to begin with, but when many people pass one way a road is made."

      Lu Hsun
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 2, 2002
        Paul Parma said:

        >OKay this is serious. Really. A few extremists (like myself) are not
        >going to get the concept into America's lexicon. Ok, getting Smart
        >Growth and New Urbanism into it has helped get us nearer to being
        >accepted, but carfree isn't yet even being OFFERED for acceptance;
        >not really.
        >
        >If you don't see it on network TV, it ain't topical in the main stream
        >right? Well how do you get it in the main streams' eye sight enough
        >for networks to feel compelled to cover it a bit if nothing else just
        >to show the main stream that the networks are hip to new main stream
        >trends? And if the network's start touching on the concept, the
        >parties, first the democrats and then the republicans in reaction will
        >bring it up, and then you got yourself some potential boys.

        I agree. I've been thinking the past few weeks about the agenda for
        the next Car-Free Cities conference, in Prague. This one is sponsored
        by Car Busters and is scheduled for March. I've recently said on that
        list that we need to think about becoming a thousand times more
        effective in terms of results than we have been. After all, things are
        still getting worse--more cars, more oil, more pollution, more death,
        more intrusion into the public realm. We're not yet have any effect.

        I'm starting to thing that, much as I hate it, we're going to have to
        resort to TV to get the message across to millions. This is actually
        "good" televison, because the issue is very graphic. If we could put
        together some good programs that contrast auto-centric cities with
        carfree areas, I think people might: 1) be exposed to the idea, and
        2) begin to understand just how much cars are costing us.

        My personal problem in this is that I don't do television--I do stills.
        I know that with the advent of DV camcorders, it's possible to make
        TV on a shoe-string budget, but you have to know what you're doing.
        And even at that we'd need a few thousand bucks for cameras, hard disks,
        and editing software.

        So, back to where we started: we need money.

        Regards,

        -- ### --

        J.H. Crawford Carfree Cities
        mailbox@... Carfree.com