Getting Carfree Concept into American Lexicon

  • paulparma
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 1, 2002
      OKay this is serious. Really. A few extremists (like myself) are not
      going to get the concept into America's lexicon. Ok, getting Smart
      Growth and New Urbanism into it has helped get us nearer to being
      accepted, but carfree isn't yet even being OFFERED for acceptance;
      not really.

      If you don't see it on network TV, it ain't topical in the main stream
      right? Well how do you get it in the main streams' eye sight enough
      for networks to feel compelled to cover it a bit if nothing else just
      to show the main stream that the networks are hip to new main stream
      trends? And if the network's start touching on the concept, the
      parties, first the democrats and then the republicans in reaction will
      bring it up, and then you got yourself some potential boys.

      One idea really can be bumper stickers. I think stickers sold at cost
      at Smart Growth receptive functions, like biking gettogethers,
      neighborhood meetings, etc. could help.

      The best one I think is "Just Say NO! to the CARFREE Option!

      Think about it. Its on the Agenda if we get enough seed stickers,
      strictly because so many people do LOVE cars (as much, I think, and
      this is hard for me to fanthom, but fanthom I must, as much as I LOVE
      Italy!) But here's another austensible car lover; they're driving a
      car right, saying there is a carfree option threatening OUR RIGHT TO
      DRIVE! You know that at a gut level they feel a wacky, ill thought out
      carfree, car-hating community is really out to get rid of cars. Maybe
      they'll start checking out the OPTION aspect after they calm down.
      Because its SO reactive, we would only need a seed level of sticker
      density!

      Of course people would put the stickers on their own cars only. No
      need to put a web site address on the stickers. No dummy web site
      either. What with search engines, carfree.com and car-free.com will
      be getting all kind of hits. Hell, I bet even The New Colonist will
      put 'carfree' into their web pages keywords for web searches, which
      they understandably don't do now; BECAUSE ITS NOT IN THE LEXICON YET!
      All of us would have to get our website's lined up with the best FAIR
      AND HONEST presentations of the issues. And we would ofcourse HAVE TO
      get our websites keyed into 'carfree' web searches. Because that's
      what would be on the stickers! We would be ready for it, and it would
      be own search nitch for a while.

      Alos, I think a Independence from Oil/Middle East/War bend from a
      "It's Patriotoic to be Independent" perspective would be helpful to.
      Environmental, excersise, person to person walking based community
      strentghs should be ancillary at concept introduction for the main
      stream. Later, they may appriciate the quitidian, day to day benifits
      of walking and meeting folks, seeing the individual bricks of their
      homes, etc. as I did in Venice. Maybe we could send everyone to
      Venice for a couple of weeks..... Or key players..

      OK some More stickers to be peppered in with the 'hook' sticker:

      "Is Oil Worth Fighting Over?
      2 Billion Newly Industrialized Chinamen Can't Be Wrong!"

      Alternative;
      "Is Oil Worth Fighting a World War Over?
      2 Billion Newly Industrialized Chinamen Can't Be Wrong!"

      "I have to Drive just to scratch my nose.
      so You have to fight for my Oil, Son."

      "Independence from Oil
      Is Independence from the Middle East"

      "We Deserve the Oil More than Future Generations!"

      "An End to Oil Supplies?
      Praying for a Miracle?
      Hell, I'm Counting On It!"
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 1, 2002
        paulparma wrote:
        Hell, I bet even The New Colonist will
        > put 'carfree' into their web pages keywords for web searches, which
        > they understandably don't do now; BECAUSE ITS NOT IN THE LEXICON
        > YET!

        Okay, thanks to your eltter, The New Colonist HAS put "carfree" and
        "car-free" into its meta tags. As of five minutes ago.

        Richard

        http://www.living-room.org
        http://www.newcolonist.com

        "Hope cannot be said to exist, nor can it be said not to exist. It is
        just like the roads across the earth. For actually there were no roads
        to begin with, but when many people pass one way a road is made."

        Lu Hsun
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 2, 2002
          Paul Parma said:

          >OKay this is serious. Really. A few extremists (like myself) are not
          >going to get the concept into America's lexicon. Ok, getting Smart
          >Growth and New Urbanism into it has helped get us nearer to being
          >accepted, but carfree isn't yet even being OFFERED for acceptance;
          >not really.
          >
          >If you don't see it on network TV, it ain't topical in the main stream
          >right? Well how do you get it in the main streams' eye sight enough
          >for networks to feel compelled to cover it a bit if nothing else just
          >to show the main stream that the networks are hip to new main stream
          >trends? And if the network's start touching on the concept, the
          >parties, first the democrats and then the republicans in reaction will
          >bring it up, and then you got yourself some potential boys.

          I agree. I've been thinking the past few weeks about the agenda for
          the next Car-Free Cities conference, in Prague. This one is sponsored
          by Car Busters and is scheduled for March. I've recently said on that
          list that we need to think about becoming a thousand times more
          effective in terms of results than we have been. After all, things are
          still getting worse--more cars, more oil, more pollution, more death,
          more intrusion into the public realm. We're not yet have any effect.

          I'm starting to thing that, much as I hate it, we're going to have to
          resort to TV to get the message across to millions. This is actually
          "good" televison, because the issue is very graphic. If we could put
          together some good programs that contrast auto-centric cities with
          carfree areas, I think people might: 1) be exposed to the idea, and
          2) begin to understand just how much cars are costing us.

          My personal problem in this is that I don't do television--I do stills.
          I know that with the advent of DV camcorders, it's possible to make
          TV on a shoe-string budget, but you have to know what you're doing.
          And even at that we'd need a few thousand bucks for cameras, hard disks,
          and editing software.

          So, back to where we started: we need money.

          Regards,

          -- ### --

          J.H. Crawford Carfree Cities
          mailbox@... Carfree.com