New Issue of New Colonist

    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 31, 2002
      The New Colonist presents its November 2002 issue, online today at
      http://www.newcolonist.com This month we are presenting The Best of
      The New Colonist, a selection of our favorite articles, essays, and
      features from the last two years. Click on over and see what you've
      missed if you just got to know us, or, if you're one of our "charter
      readers," see whether you agree with our selections. And don't forget
      our editorials, new for this month, with links to the editors' favorites
      listed beneath each excerpt. All on The New Colonist, at
      http://www.living-room.org
      http://www.newcolonist.com

      "Hope cannot be said to exist, nor can it be said not to exist. It is
      just like the roads across the earth. For actually there were no roads
      to begin with, but when many people pass one way a road is made."

      Lu Hsun
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 31, 2003
        Hello All--

        The August issue of The New Colonist is now online at
        http://www.newcolonist.com This month's feature articles cover:

        *The Spamming of Boston, by Jane Holtz Kay
        *Light Rail and Omaha, by Eric C. Miller and Gerald Kopiasz

        We also present our usual editorials and features, including:

        *We Must Keep Going, Richard Risemberg's musings on the driving,
        solitude, tragedy, and age
        *Yesterday and Tomorrow, Eric Miller's tale of two cities
        *Spitak, the wonderful LA bakery with the awful name

        For subscribers, there are now nearly 500 articles, editorials, essays,
        and reviews in our archives...and for non-members, subscriptions are on
        sale now: join up for only $2.99 for three months! Just click on the
        orange "Subscribe" link on the left side of the homepage.

        The New Colonist...we're about life in the city!

        http://www.living-room.org
        http://www.newcolonist.com

        "I believe that every right implies a responsibility; every opportunity,
        an obligation; every possession, a duty."
        John D. Rockefeller, Jr.
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 29, 2003
          Hello All--

          The November issue of The New Colonist is online and available now at
          http://www.newcolonist.com (We are publishing a day early this time to
          accommodate staff vacations.)

          Among our offerings this month are:

          *The Property Rights Hypocrisy,by Keith Schneider
          *If We Change It, They Will Come, by Eric Miller
          *Brozers: Burgers in Tokyo, by Mike L. Wong

          Plus our editorials:

          *Space Adventure, by Richard Risemberg
          *Pittsburgh Pilgrimage, by Eric Miller

          And of course there is our archive of over 500 articles, essays,
          reviews, and more, much of it illustrated with fine photography, and all
          of it dedicated to urban living, community, sustainability, and a good
          life for all.

          So click on over to http://www.newcolonist.com and magnify your world!

          Richard

          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 30, 2003
            Well, another month has come, and so here's the latest issue of the New
            Colonist, online now at http://www.newcolonist.com For December we
            feature the following articles, editorials, and reviews:

            *Lighting Up Pittsburgh
            Discover a new holiday tradition in a reinvented city

            *Striking It Rich in St. Louis Groceries
            A grocery strike sends the author on a voyage of discovery

            *A Tale of Two Spaces
            Richard Risemberg explores two modern-day souks in Los Angeles

            *Residents
            Eric Miller covers the forgotten value in the downtown equation

            *Book Review: The Voluntary City

            *Street Food: Dim Sum on Lake Erie

            Plus our huge sustainability and urban lifestyle archive, our City
            Pages, and our Corner Store, all at http://www.newcolonist.com for one
            and all to enjoy.

            Thnak you,

            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 31, 2003
              Welcome to 2004 and another new issue of the New Colonist! Go to
              http://www.newcolonist.com to read our latest articles, including:

              *What Are They Afraid Of?, Keith Schneider's analysis of conservative
              opposition to the growth of Smart Growth

              *Pedestrian Streets, a photo essay exploring the phenomenon in Japan,
              Argentina, and Los Angeles

              *A Wish for Your City, where New Colonist readers tell the world what
              they'd like to see happen in their towns in 2004

              And your editors' personal wish lists for Pittsburgh and Los Angeles,
              along with over 500 articles, essays, and reviews in our archives, all
              at http://www.newcolonist.com, and always free.

              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 29, 2004
                The March issue of The New Colonist is online and available now at
                http://www.newcolonist.com

                This month's features:

                *Sixty Days, Next Year
                C. Haynes presents the diary of an ordinary American in the
                extraordinary days after the fall of the House of Saud and the collapse
                of the world oil market....

                *Home Sick
                Richard Risemberg turns sick days into an opportunity to reflect on the
                differences between the inner suburb where he grew up and the vibrant
                city neighborhood, only three miles away, where he lives now.

                *"This Old House" and Neighborhood Rejuvenation
                Eric Miller exposes the hidden bargains of America's oldest
                neighborhoods, which present a chance to buy into both the real estate
                market and the future of humanity on the cheap.

                *Concierge
                Our new Concierge page offers helpful services such as worldwide
                weather forecasts, hotel and airfare searches, and a currency exchange
                calculator, with more on the way!

                *Vox Civitatis
                Our weblog, with (nearly) daily entries by your editors and an
                assortment of invited commentators offering views and musings on the
                state of cities and sustainability today and in the future.

                And of course a wealth of
                reviews, essays, stories, and other resources in our more than
                500-article Archive!

                All on The New Colonist at http://www.newcolonist.com

                Message 7 of 16 , May 1, 2004
                  The May issue of The New Colonist is online and available now at
                  http://www.newcolonist.com!

                  This month's features:

                  * Waste Treatment Gets a New Look in Japan
                  Mike Wong visits the garbage dump for a very pleasant outing....
                  * Iraq, Spring 2004
                  Richard Risemberg responds to Nicholas Kristof's call for oil war
                  poetry....
                  * Cities and the Seeds of Change
                  Eric Miller explores the role of today's cities as nurseries of
                  social change....
                  * Concierge
                  Our new Concierge page offers helpful services such as worldwide
                  weather forecasts, hotel and airfare searches, and a currency exchange
                  calculator, with more on the way!
                  * Vox Civitatis
                  Our weblog, with (nearly) daily entries by your editors and an
                  assortment of invited commentators offering views and musings on the
                  state of cities and sustainability today and in the future.

                  And of course a wealth of reviews, essays, stories, and other resources
                  in our more than 500-article Archive!
                  http://www.living-room.org
                  http://www.newcolonist.com

                  "Until you stop looking for simple answers, you will not be happy. You
                  will not even be human."

                  RR
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 31, 2005
                    The February issue of The New Colonist is online and available now at
                    http://www.newcolonist.com!

                    This month's features:

                    • Twin Cities Turnaround
                    Karen Sandness finds her hometown's finally growing up....
                    • Our Own Day Here
                    What is culture really worth? What does it mean?...
                    • Saving the City
                    One house at a time....
                    • Concierge
                    Our Concierge page offers helpful services such as worldwide weather
                    forecasts, hotel and airfare searches, events listings, classifieds,
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 1, 2005
                      The July issue of The New Colonist is online and available now at http://www.newcolonist.com!
                      This month's features:

                      Tales from a Chicago Coffeehouse
                      Stories from a paradigmatic urban place....

                      Sense & Subsidy
                      Hypocrisy and community battle it out on the streets....

                      How Did This House Get Like This?
                      Abandonment and revival in Pittsburgh....

                      Concierge
                      Our Concierge page offers helpful services such as worldwide weather forecasts, hotel and airfare searches, and a currency exchange calculator, with more on the way!

                      Vox Civitatis
                      Our weblog, with (nearly) daily entries by your editors and an assortment of invited commentators offering views and musings on the state of cities and sustainability today and in the future.

                      And of course a wealth of reviews, essays, stories, and other resources in our comprehensive Archive!