Re: carfree us...babysteps

  • coyote_clown
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 5, 2002
      --- In carfree_cities@y..., "Patrick McDonough" <patrick1@e...> wrote:
      > I've been following the "let's start a carfree city" discussion
      this week,
      > mostly watching. At least in the US, and likely elsewhere, this is
      going to
      > be very hard to do in a developed country with a highly specialized
      economy.

      > FOr what it's worth, I think your best bet is to think about
      another weird
      > prototype living environment- anybody remember the Biosphere out in
      AZ?

      > There's got to be a big U.S. city somewhere with an old gridded
      area that is
      > completely run down. If you could somehow get 16 city blocks in a
      4 x 4
      > square, you could then seal the full area to car traffic, and begin
      > redevloping housing, local merchants, etc. All of this would need
      serious
      > subsidy and probably a 20-year commitment by pioneering residents.
      It also
      > needs to be served by high-quality transit service so that
      residents can go
      > out into the larger area for jobs, and others can commute in to
      work. Maybe
      > if you can get Bill Gates to buy out someplace...or even, if a
      place is very
      > run down and has few residents, take it by eminent domain as long
      as any
      > displaced residents are given affordable housing within the
      development?

      > I've lived and worked in the ultimate carfree city (Venice) and
      it's clear
      > that a carfree place needs to have strong ties to the regional and
      global
      > economy to be sustainable. That's why I think you will need to go
      for a
      > district in an existing city with good transit.
      >
      > Patrick McDonough

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      baby steps. It would be progress enough for a lot of families worked
      their way down to one car per family. The immediate to obstacles to
      this are the placement, size, and numbers of schools, retail, and
      city government buildings.
    • Chris Holt
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 8, 2002
        I have really been enjoying entertaining the possibilities of
        something actually coming from this thread of thought. I must admit
        though, it sems as though the ideas have stopped and the proces has
        died. Am I imagining this?

        We've got some wonderful resources available to us here, and some
        incredibly bright minds. Yes, it's going to take us a long time to
        see something concrete come about (babysteps) but I think it is still
        a worthwhile endeavor.

        Let's not see another good idea just fade into the sunset. If
        progressive thinkers with nothing to lose but everything to gain can't
        make this happen, who can?

        Chris
      • tenpagyatso
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 9, 2002
          --- In carfree_cities@y..., "Chris Holt" <cholt2@c...> wrote:

          > Let's not see another good idea just fade into the sunset. If
          > progressive thinkers with nothing to lose but everything to gain
          can't
          > make this happen, who can?

          Ok, I'll bite. ;-)

          As in most issues this highly charged the first thing to consider is
          the economic ramifications. If an area of an already-existing city is
          walled off from auto traffic the business owners in that area will
          need to be able to continue to exist.

          How big would this area be? I think to begin any form of
          constructive discussion we should build a model.

          Can anyone think of a city we could use for this thought
          experiment? This would be a good place for us to start.

          - Steven
        • T. J. Binkley
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 9, 2002
            >Let's not see another good idea just fade into the sunset. If
            >progressive thinkers with nothing to lose but everything to gain can't
            >make this happen, who can?

            ...Anyone (individual or group) who can locate and gain control over a
            suitable site, and get construction financing (a developer with a strong
            track record of successful multifamily housing and urban mixed-use
            projects, who can persuade a bank, or a cadre of aggressive, yet patient,
            venture capitalists, has would be helpful here).

            ...Anyone who has an uncle, cousin, brother-in-law, or close friend who
            fits the above description.

            ...Anyone who can get some face-time with a progressive billionaire. A
            small project might be within the means of an eager multimillionaire.

            On a much smaller scale, an overview of how a group of like-minded
            individuals or families can start a project on their own (locate a site,
            get financing, etc.) can be found in:

            The Cohousing Handbook: Building a Place for Community
            by Chris Hanson.
            http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0881791261/qid=1034222881/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/103-5589792-2364617?v=glance

            -T.J. Binkley

            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 9, 2002
              Tom Gilmore of Los Angeles is a developer who might be amenable to
              building a carfree district. He has recently revived a semi-abandoned
              warehouse and SRO hotel neighborhood in downtown LA. Real estate here,
              though, ain't cheap.

              Richard

              T. J. Binkley wrote:
              > ...Anyone (individual or group) who can locate and gain control over a
              > suitable site, and get construction financing (a developer with a strong
              > track record of successful multifamily housing and urban mixed-use
              > projects, who can persuade a bank, or a cadre of aggressive, yet patient,
              > venture capitalists, has would be helpful here).
              >
              > ...Anyone who has an uncle, cousin, brother-in-law, or close friend who
              > fits the above description.
              >
              > ...Anyone who can get some face-time with a progressive billionaire. A
              > small project might be within the means of an eager multimillionaire.
              >
              > On a much smaller scale, an overview of how a group of like-minded
              > individuals or families can start a project on their own (locate a site,
              > get financing, etc.) can be found in:

              http://www.living-room.org
              http://www.newcolonist.com

              "Hope cannot be said to exist, nor can it be said not to exist. It is
              just like the roads across the earth. For actually there were no roads
              to begin with, but when many people pass one way a road is made."

              Lu Hsun