carfree us

  • Rob Hines
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 4, 2002
      I've spoken to David Ceaser of the group in the States, trying to
      establish a car free city, he seemed receptive to the idea of building
      or converting an exiisting district in Canada. Perhaps joining there
      database would be the best thing to do. However, I don't think that a
      car free city in the US is a livable option for myself, and I'm
      guessing it's not for most other Canadians?

      Rob Hines
      104-165 Lowther Ave
      Toronto ON M5R 1E5
      robhines@...
      416.944.3856
    • Patrick McDonough
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 4, 2002
        I've been following the "let's start a carfree city" discussion this week,
        mostly watching. At least in the US, and likely elsewhere, this is going to
        be very hard to do in a developed country with a highly specialized economy.

        FOr what it's worth, I think your best bet is to think about another weird
        prototype living environment- anybody remember the Biosphere out in AZ?

        There's got to be a big U.S. city somewhere with an old gridded area that is
        completely run down. If you could somehow get 16 city blocks in a 4 x 4
        square, you could then seal the full area to car traffic, and begin
        redevloping housing, local merchants, etc. All of this would need serious
        subsidy and probably a 20-year commitment by pioneering residents. It also
        needs to be served by high-quality transit service so that residents can go
        out into the larger area for jobs, and others can commute in to work. Maybe
        if you can get Bill Gates to buy out someplace...or even, if a place is very
        run down and has few residents, take it by eminent domain as long as any
        displaced residents are given affordable housing within the development?

        I've lived and worked in the ultimate carfree city (Venice) and it's clear
        that a carfree place needs to have strong ties to the regional and global
        economy to be sustainable. That's why I think you will need to go for a
        district in an existing city with good transit.

        Patrick McDonough

      • coyote_clown
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 5, 2002
          --- In carfree_cities@y..., "Patrick McDonough" <patrick1@e...> wrote:
          > I've been following the "let's start a carfree city" discussion
          this week,
          > mostly watching. At least in the US, and likely elsewhere, this is
          going to
          > be very hard to do in a developed country with a highly specialized
          economy.

          > FOr what it's worth, I think your best bet is to think about
          another weird
          > prototype living environment- anybody remember the Biosphere out in
          AZ?

          > There's got to be a big U.S. city somewhere with an old gridded
          area that is
          > completely run down. If you could somehow get 16 city blocks in a
          4 x 4
          > square, you could then seal the full area to car traffic, and begin
          > redevloping housing, local merchants, etc. All of this would need
          serious
          > subsidy and probably a 20-year commitment by pioneering residents.
          It also
          > needs to be served by high-quality transit service so that
          residents can go
          > out into the larger area for jobs, and others can commute in to
          work. Maybe
          > if you can get Bill Gates to buy out someplace...or even, if a
          place is very
          > run down and has few residents, take it by eminent domain as long
          as any
          > displaced residents are given affordable housing within the
          development?

          > I've lived and worked in the ultimate carfree city (Venice) and
          it's clear
          > that a carfree place needs to have strong ties to the regional and
          global
          > economy to be sustainable. That's why I think you will need to go
          for a
          > district in an existing city with good transit.
          >
          > Patrick McDonough

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          baby steps. It would be progress enough for a lot of families worked
          their way down to one car per family. The immediate to obstacles to
          this are the placement, size, and numbers of schools, retail, and
          city government buildings.
        • Chris Holt
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 8, 2002
            I have really been enjoying entertaining the possibilities of
            something actually coming from this thread of thought. I must admit
            though, it sems as though the ideas have stopped and the proces has
            died. Am I imagining this?

            We've got some wonderful resources available to us here, and some
            incredibly bright minds. Yes, it's going to take us a long time to
            see something concrete come about (babysteps) but I think it is still
            a worthwhile endeavor.

            Let's not see another good idea just fade into the sunset. If
            progressive thinkers with nothing to lose but everything to gain can't
            make this happen, who can?

            Chris
          • tenpagyatso
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 9, 2002
              --- In carfree_cities@y..., "Chris Holt" <cholt2@c...> wrote:

              > Let's not see another good idea just fade into the sunset. If
              > progressive thinkers with nothing to lose but everything to gain
              can't
              > make this happen, who can?

              Ok, I'll bite. ;-)

              As in most issues this highly charged the first thing to consider is
              the economic ramifications. If an area of an already-existing city is
              walled off from auto traffic the business owners in that area will
              need to be able to continue to exist.

              How big would this area be? I think to begin any form of
              constructive discussion we should build a model.

              Can anyone think of a city we could use for this thought
              experiment? This would be a good place for us to start.

              - Steven
            • T. J. Binkley
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 9, 2002
                >Let's not see another good idea just fade into the sunset. If
                >progressive thinkers with nothing to lose but everything to gain can't
                >make this happen, who can?

                ...Anyone (individual or group) who can locate and gain control over a
                suitable site, and get construction financing (a developer with a strong
                track record of successful multifamily housing and urban mixed-use
                projects, who can persuade a bank, or a cadre of aggressive, yet patient,
                venture capitalists, has would be helpful here).

                ...Anyone who has an uncle, cousin, brother-in-law, or close friend who
                fits the above description.

                ...Anyone who can get some face-time with a progressive billionaire. A
                small project might be within the means of an eager multimillionaire.

                On a much smaller scale, an overview of how a group of like-minded
                individuals or families can start a project on their own (locate a site,
                get financing, etc.) can be found in:

                The Cohousing Handbook: Building a Place for Community
                by Chris Hanson.
                http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0881791261/qid=1034222881/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/103-5589792-2364617?v=glance

                -T.J. Binkley

                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 9, 2002
                  Tom Gilmore of Los Angeles is a developer who might be amenable to
                  building a carfree district. He has recently revived a semi-abandoned
                  warehouse and SRO hotel neighborhood in downtown LA. Real estate here,
                  though, ain't cheap.

                  Richard

                  T. J. Binkley wrote:
                  > ...Anyone (individual or group) who can locate and gain control over a
                  > suitable site, and get construction financing (a developer with a strong
                  > track record of successful multifamily housing and urban mixed-use
                  > projects, who can persuade a bank, or a cadre of aggressive, yet patient,
                  > venture capitalists, has would be helpful here).
                  >
                  > ...Anyone who has an uncle, cousin, brother-in-law, or close friend who
                  > fits the above description.
                  >
                  > ...Anyone who can get some face-time with a progressive billionaire. A
                  > small project might be within the means of an eager multimillionaire.
                  >
                  > On a much smaller scale, an overview of how a group of like-minded
                  > individuals or families can start a project on their own (locate a site,
                  > get financing, etc.) can be found in:

                  http://www.living-room.org
                  http://www.newcolonist.com

                  "Hope cannot be said to exist, nor can it be said not to exist. It is
                  just like the roads across the earth. For actually there were no roads
                  to begin with, but when many people pass one way a road is made."

                  Lu Hsun