Re: Car Free City

  • Matt Hohmeister
    Message 1 of 19 , Oct 3, 2002
      I'd be more than willing to live in a newly built carfree city--if I
      can get a good job.

      As far as setting up a new city goes, we can just use other "new"
      cities as examples. Off the top of my head, I remember Joel's book
      mentioning New Delhi and DC among others as "new" cities. Granted, we
      won't just pop up a 500,000+ city in a few years--it would take a
      generation or three--or longer.

      What I would like to know is what local taxes would be like compared
      to other cities. Emergency services, police patrols, and public
      services will all be cheaper, since they're not having to provide for
      cars.

      Unfortunately, there's one major problem I foresee: being taken
      seriously. I once had a friend's mouth practically hang open when I
      walked 8 minutes from my apartment to Waffle House to meet her for
      dinner: "This is not Europe--you can't do that.".

      Put simply, I sometimes have a very hard time being taken seriously
      when I make the decision to not use my car to get somewhere. I can
      name examples of this left and right. I have people look at me in
      absolute amazement when they find out that I walk a mile home from
      work at midnight.

      Some people see automobile use as a modern necessary--like wearing
      clothes. These same people will see a carfree city as some of us might
      see a nudist colony. If you move to a carfree city, do NOT be
      surprised if individuals and businesses initially refuse to visit you
      because they can't park right at your building.

      > I've been wondering how realistic it would be to get a huge group
      of
      > people together, with a diversity of skills, backgrounds,
      ethnicities,
      > knowledge, and with one commonality amongst all, the desire to live
      the
      > car free life in a city as proposed by Joel? I've been wondering
      for
      > along time and decided to shoot my mouth off to see what kind of
      >
      > I suppose the question has a lot of other loaded questions, tons,
      like
      > which country, organized by who, what climate, who would finance
      it,
      > those moving there? How would we be granted a system of local
      > government that would be a sufficient way for locals to govern
      > themselves? So many questions.
      >
      > Aside from my desire to live in the car free world, developing
      Joel's
      > ideal city would set an example for the rest of the world as to how
      > things are without cars. I imagine tourism, as in Venice, would be
      > major industry.
      >
      > Rob Hines
      > 104-165 Lowther Ave
      > Toronto ON M5R 1E5
      > robhines@m...
      > 416.944.3856
    • Rob Hines
      Message 2 of 19 , Oct 3, 2002
        I like the idea of picking an existing city location I have to say.
        Making this place carfree is dependent upon enough car-free minded
        people moving there, this is where I think the database could come in
        handy. What is the vacancy rate in the Plateau?

        A project will be presented to remove car traffic from Mont-Royal
        avenue in
        > Montreal. As you will see in the following link
        > "www.montroyal-avenueverte.com", already 15,000 people signed a
        > petition to
        > eliminate cars from that street. I'm pretty confident many people from
        > those
        > who sign would be willing to remove cars from a significant
        > residential part
        > of that neighborhood: not only from that street.
        >
        > Could we all together form a "Critical Mass"?
        > We would still need to find a solution to freight transport: how to get
        > merchandises to the many businesses and shops. There could be a
        > dedicated
        > railed avenue to move freight as close as possible, then it could be
        > transported to destination by carts or cargo bikes.
        >
        > This is different from the other proposals in this forum, as we
        > wouldn't
        > start from scratch, but from a dense neighbourhood, where a large
        > amount of
        > people live carfree, but still suffer from congestion and burden of car
        > traffic in the environment.
        >
        > Downtown underground (carfree) city is accessible by metro. We could
        > claim
        > jobs are already available a few metro stops away remaining in a
        > carfree
        > area. The weakness I see though is although business are accessible,
        > they
        > wouldn't actively take part of the carfree city, unless of course they
        > agree
        > to turn part of downtown core carfree on surface streets.
        >
        > For leisure and nature, we'd need to make a carfree link to walk to
        > Mount-Royal mountain, which is not that far from residential areas.
        >
        > Well, this is simply a thought for me now, but if Mont-Royal becomes
        > carfree, that may be taken as a basis, a core, a first step towards a
        > real
        > carfree city project.
        >
        > I circulated the petition in my office floor this month, and will
        > submit it
        > next week.
        >
        > Louis-Luc

        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/