Arcosanti

  • Kevin
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 2, 2002
      I agree with the gentleman who placed a link to Arcosanti as a
      potential site for a car-free city. I live in Phoenix, a little over
      an hour south of Arcosanti, and have visited it on various occasions.
      If any of you ever are in Arizona, you must visit this unique area.
      The village is essentially carfree, with automobiles banished to a
      dirt parking lot on a mesa above the village and a dirt access road
      below.

      Arcosanti is a well-established site (when I was in elementary school
      in the early 80s, my parents would always point it out to me as we
      made our way to Flagstaff). Although there is little commerce and
      virtually no industry in Arcosanti, the last time I visited in March,
      a small retail district was under construction. The area will consist
      of first- and second-floor shops and offices, with residences above,
      according to the tour guide. This zone will complement and expand
      upon the existing retail establishments, which include a restaurant,
      bakery/cafe, hotel, and gift shop (which mainly sells bronze and
      ceramic pieces made at Arcosanti and books about architecture and
      urban planning).

      While Arcosanti isn't much, it is a start, and has a climate that is
      not nearly as hot as Phoenix's and not nearly as cold as Flagstaff's.
      I would move there, but I find Paolo Soleri's vision to be somewhat
      restrictive, and there is a total lack of opportunity for me to have a
      career there based on my skills and education. Maybe if we could
      merge our vision with his, great things could happen.

      Kevin
    • tenpagyatso
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 3, 2002
        Kevin,

        --- In carfree_cities@y..., "Kevin" <skyviewmesa@y...> wrote:
        > I agree with the gentleman who placed a link to Arcosanti as a
        > potential site for a car-free city. I live in Phoenix, a little over
        > an hour south of Arcosanti, and have visited it on various
        occasions.

        I missed the link. Would someone please repost it?

        [...]
        > While Arcosanti isn't much, it is a start, and has a climate that is
        > not nearly as hot as Phoenix's and not nearly as cold as Flagstaff's.
        > I would move there, but I find Paolo Soleri's vision to be
        somewhat
        > restrictive, and there is a total lack of opportunity for me to have a
        > career there based on my skills and education. Maybe if we
        could
        > merge our vision with his, great things could happen.

        I remember reading about Arcosanti when, in the late 1980s, I was
        involved with mailing list groups brain-storming on temporary
        autonomous zones, anarcho-syndacalist collectives and such. For
        me Soleri's vision is quite beautiful but alas, I would imagine direct
        personal experience is necessary to fully grok the place.

        Also, I'm rather new to the list so I should introduce myself.

        My name is Steven White and I live in Milwaukee, WI. I heard of this
        list on (if memory serves) an urban ecology list right here on
        Yahoo. My indirect connection with the list is a personal attraction
        and course of self-imposed study of the work of Bucky Fuller. My
        wife and I have even gone to the extent of designing and
        constructing a very large dome tent (~20' across at its base =) based
        on the great circle concept of dome building design.

        While Mr. Fuller's ideology might not specifically contain the
        concept of car-freeness I do believe that the importance of
        architecture and its role in society's sane and sustainable
        development is key.

        So I'm happy to have found this list and I look forward to lively
        discussions.

        Peas and hominy,

        - Steven
        http://barkingcat.org