Just Gotta Vent

  • Patrick McDonough
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 1, 2002
      Sorry folks, gotta get this out.

      Hi, it's midnight here in Carrboro, NC. I just got in from a late night
      bike ride across our mostly bike-friendly town, returned 2 videos to the
      local store before 12, and thought I'd hit Wendy's on the way home. I bike
      in, and they are busy working on the store- adding panels or something to
      the breezeway.

      So I bike around to the drive-thru, and wait for 2 cars ahead of me to
      clear. I pull up to the mike, and start jumping up and down on the pavement
      to try to trigger the sensor. No such luck, but the guy in the window sees
      me. Over the loudspeaker I hear him say, "I can't serve you if you're not
      in a car." Now I'm not surprised, but a little peeved, especially when
      their window says "open until 1 am" and I can't come inside to buy a
      sandwich. I imagine that this is a safety thing, but for God's sake- I've
      got headlight, taillight, yellow reflective windbreaker, and yellow anklets
      on. I am a vertiable rolling Christmas Tree.

      Then I try to ask into the speaker if I can come inside to order, and he
      says "I can't HEAR you if you aren't in a car."

      YEEAAARGH! I feel this James Howard Kunstler-esque wad of self-important
      bluster building up inside, wondering if the guy has been instructed to say
      that to any non-auto travelers at the drive-thru, but then I realize at 180
      pounds soaking wet with maybe a 40-pound bike, I'm not tripping the sensor
      which turns on the mike, and that screaming at some minimum-wage guy at
      midnight isn't going to change store policy.

      So I rode home, willing money to pay for goods and services lying idle in my
      pocket, unable to be introduced into the economy, because I'm riding my
      freaking BIKE. In the end, I think the most discouraging part of the
      experience was that the drive-thru guy couldn't HEAR me because I'm not in a
      car. How telling is this?

      Patrick McDonough
    • S Baddeley
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 2, 2002
        New Colonist would surely like some version of this anecdote. The thought
        that the car was required to trip the mike never occurred to me. I remember
        once getting a carpark gate to open by pushing a large wheelie bin in front
        of the sensor. Now why was I doing that. I vaguely recall trying to help
        someone and everyone in the nearby office staring out the window and
        clapping when the gate opened.

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 2, 2002
          Patrick,

          I'm glad you didn't get served at Wendy's. You shouldn't be supporting autocentric Corporate Evildoers like McDonald's, Wendy's, and Burger King. I bet they're all big donors to the Republican Party. And you shouldn't be eating meat either. Besides being bad for you, meat production is bad for the environment. You should be going to independent Mexican or Chinese restaurants and eating vegetarian burritos or vegetarian fried rice.

          -Bob Matter
          -----------
          R.A.C.E.
          Radical Athiest Communist Environmentalists
          We took Jesus out of your schools.
          We're taking your guns away now.
          We're going after your cars next.
        • Louis-Luc
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 2, 2002
            Hi,
            Wait maybe a month or so, for clerks to forget about
            the event, then propose a Critical Mass ride to that Wendy's, at a time the
            eating room is closed, but the "drive" through is still open. When they see
            all the cyclists lining up behind at the mike, they'll be forced to do
            something to serve customers who need energy to return home...

            I once was in a car with a friend and he was driving around a McDonald's and
            saw there is no drive through. He was mad there wasn't one and want to drive
            away. I said him "What's up, can't you just walk in?".

            > Sorry folks, gotta get this out.
            >
            > Hi, it's midnight here in Carrboro, NC. I just got in from a late night
            > bike ride across our mostly bike-friendly town, returned 2 videos to the
            > local store before 12, and thought I'd hit Wendy's on the way
            > home. I bike
            > in, and they are busy working on the store- adding panels or something to
            > the breezeway.
            >
            > So I bike around to the drive-thru, and wait for 2 cars ahead of me to
            > clear. I pull up to the mike, and start jumping up and down on
            > the pavement
            > to try to trigger the sensor. No such luck, but the guy in the
            > window sees
            > me. Over the loudspeaker I hear him say, "I can't serve you if you're not
            > in a car." Now I'm not surprised, but a little peeved, especially when
            > their window says "open until 1 am" and I can't come inside to buy a
            > sandwich. I imagine that this is a safety thing, but for God's sake- I've
            > got headlight, taillight, yellow reflective windbreaker, and
            > yellow anklets
            > on. I am a vertiable rolling Christmas Tree.
            >
            > Then I try to ask into the speaker if I can come inside to order, and he
            > says "I can't HEAR you if you aren't in a car."
            >
            > YEEAAARGH! I feel this James Howard Kunstler-esque wad of self-important
            > bluster building up inside, wondering if the guy has been
            > instructed to say
            > that to any non-auto travelers at the drive-thru, but then I
            > realize at 180
            > pounds soaking wet with maybe a 40-pound bike, I'm not tripping the sensor
            > which turns on the mike, and that screaming at some minimum-wage guy at
            > midnight isn't going to change store policy.
            >
            > So I rode home, willing money to pay for goods and services lying
            > idle in my
            > pocket, unable to be introduced into the economy, because I'm riding my
            > freaking BIKE. In the end, I think the most discouraging part of the
            > experience was that the drive-thru guy couldn't HEAR me because
            > I'm not in a
            > car. How telling is this?
            >
            > Patrick McDonough

          • tomfrostjr
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 6, 2003
              --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, "Robert J. Matter"
              <rjmatter@p...> wrote:
              > Patrick,
              >
              > I'm glad you didn't get served at Wendy's. You shouldn't be
              supporting autocentric Corporate Evildoers like McDonald's, Wendy's,
              and Burger King. I bet they're all big donors to the Republican
              Party. And you shouldn't be eating meat either. Besides being bad
              for you, meat production is bad for the environment. You should be
              going to independent Mexican or Chinese restaurants and eating
              vegetarian burritos or vegetarian fried rice.

              TF: So Mr. Matter is "glad" cyclists don't get served there and
              motorists do?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

              That's the way his message will come across to 99% of people.

              Talk about attacking your fellow cyclists.

              I've seen a lot of whacko stuff from Mr. Matter, but this one takes
              the cake.

              - Tom Frost Jr., who just discovered this list while pursuing
              "_Jym_", whom I was going to ask whether he likes _any_ kind of
              trolls - such as the ones whose fine, similar-to-mine-on-my-bike-
              trips sleeping spots, were destroyed in this depaving project that he
              apparently once posted, the photos of which include apparent bridge
              removals http://www.octaviacentral.org . But, I couldn't resist
              pouncing on this gem by Bob Matter instead.

              You should have followed your own advice, about ignoring trolls, Jym!