RE: [carfree_cities] Re: Car Free City

  • Louis-Luc
    Message 1 of 19 , Oct 1, 2002
      > lol Wow I Understand. That is great. I like what your doing, your
      > acctually trying to organize the people of a city before it is built.
      > That is truely incredible. If you want to know what I think, I think
      > its Industry you should organize first, With freight rail. People
      > will move to town because of the jobs, right. People can use freight
      > also in the begining making it cheap to start. Take three counties,
      > create a presentation, and well that cheap property will, before you
      > know it, be some of the best valued property in the country. Im not
      > aware, Is a county legally allowed, in Canada or the USA to say No
      > CARS?

      A project will be presented to remove car traffic from Mont-Royal avenue in
      Montreal. As you will see in the following link
      "www.montroyal-avenueverte.com", already 15,000 people signed a petition to
      eliminate cars from that street. I'm pretty confident many people from those
      who sign would be willing to remove cars from a significant residential part
      of that neighborhood: not only from that street.

      Could we all together form a "Critical Mass"?
      We would still need to find a solution to freight transport: how to get
      merchandises to the many businesses and shops. There could be a dedicated
      railed avenue to move freight as close as possible, then it could be
      transported to destination by carts or cargo bikes.

      This is different from the other proposals in this forum, as we wouldn't
      start from scratch, but from a dense neighbourhood, where a large amount of
      people live carfree, but still suffer from congestion and burden of car
      traffic in the environment.

      Downtown underground (carfree) city is accessible by metro. We could claim
      jobs are already available a few metro stops away remaining in a carfree
      area. The weakness I see though is although business are accessible, they
      wouldn't actively take part of the carfree city, unless of course they agree
      to turn part of downtown core carfree on surface streets.

      For leisure and nature, we'd need to make a carfree link to walk to
      Mount-Royal mountain, which is not that far from residential areas.

      Well, this is simply a thought for me now, but if Mont-Royal becomes
      carfree, that may be taken as a basis, a core, a first step towards a real
      carfree city project.

      I circulated the petition in my office floor this month, and will submit it
      next week.

      Louis-Luc
    • Matt Hohmeister
      Message 2 of 19 , Oct 3, 2002
        I'd be more than willing to live in a newly built carfree city--if I
        can get a good job.

        As far as setting up a new city goes, we can just use other "new"
        cities as examples. Off the top of my head, I remember Joel's book
        mentioning New Delhi and DC among others as "new" cities. Granted, we
        won't just pop up a 500,000+ city in a few years--it would take a
        generation or three--or longer.

        What I would like to know is what local taxes would be like compared
        to other cities. Emergency services, police patrols, and public
        services will all be cheaper, since they're not having to provide for
        cars.

        Unfortunately, there's one major problem I foresee: being taken
        seriously. I once had a friend's mouth practically hang open when I
        walked 8 minutes from my apartment to Waffle House to meet her for
        dinner: "This is not Europe--you can't do that.".

        Put simply, I sometimes have a very hard time being taken seriously
        when I make the decision to not use my car to get somewhere. I can
        name examples of this left and right. I have people look at me in
        absolute amazement when they find out that I walk a mile home from
        work at midnight.

        Some people see automobile use as a modern necessary--like wearing
        clothes. These same people will see a carfree city as some of us might
        see a nudist colony. If you move to a carfree city, do NOT be
        surprised if individuals and businesses initially refuse to visit you
        because they can't park right at your building.

        > I've been wondering how realistic it would be to get a huge group
        of
        > people together, with a diversity of skills, backgrounds,
        ethnicities,
        > knowledge, and with one commonality amongst all, the desire to live
        the
        > car free life in a city as proposed by Joel? I've been wondering
        for
        > along time and decided to shoot my mouth off to see what kind of
        >
        > I suppose the question has a lot of other loaded questions, tons,
        like
        > which country, organized by who, what climate, who would finance
        it,
        > those moving there? How would we be granted a system of local
        > government that would be a sufficient way for locals to govern
        > themselves? So many questions.
        >
        > Aside from my desire to live in the car free world, developing
        Joel's
        > ideal city would set an example for the rest of the world as to how
        > things are without cars. I imagine tourism, as in Venice, would be
        > major industry.
        >
        > Rob Hines
        > 104-165 Lowther Ave
        > Toronto ON M5R 1E5
        > robhines@m...
        > 416.944.3856
      • Rob Hines
        Message 3 of 19 , Oct 3, 2002
          I like the idea of picking an existing city location I have to say.
          Making this place carfree is dependent upon enough car-free minded
          people moving there, this is where I think the database could come in
          handy. What is the vacancy rate in the Plateau?

          Rob Hines
          104-165 Lowther Ave
          Toronto ON M5R 1E5
          robhines@...