Re: Car Free City

  • turpin
    Message 1 of 19 , Oct 1, 2002
      "cndpandit" <nimaid@h...> wrote:
      > I was blown away when I heard, Apparently there is
      > an island in lake michigan that is a car free town
      > resort.

      Mackinac, in Lake Huron:

      http://www.mackinac.com/

      There are quite a few other islands where cars are
      used only as taxis or trucks, and most residents
      travel primarily by foot or bicycle. Some of the
      Channel Islands. Saba. Etc. But these are fairly
      exceptional cases.
    • Louis-Luc
      Message 2 of 19 , Oct 1, 2002
        > lol Wow I Understand. That is great. I like what your doing, your
        > acctually trying to organize the people of a city before it is built.
        > That is truely incredible. If you want to know what I think, I think
        > its Industry you should organize first, With freight rail. People
        > will move to town because of the jobs, right. People can use freight
        > also in the begining making it cheap to start. Take three counties,
        > create a presentation, and well that cheap property will, before you
        > know it, be some of the best valued property in the country. Im not
        > aware, Is a county legally allowed, in Canada or the USA to say No
        > CARS?

        A project will be presented to remove car traffic from Mont-Royal avenue in
        Montreal. As you will see in the following link
        "www.montroyal-avenueverte.com", already 15,000 people signed a petition to
        eliminate cars from that street. I'm pretty confident many people from those
        who sign would be willing to remove cars from a significant residential part
        of that neighborhood: not only from that street.

        Could we all together form a "Critical Mass"?
        We would still need to find a solution to freight transport: how to get
        merchandises to the many businesses and shops. There could be a dedicated
        railed avenue to move freight as close as possible, then it could be
        transported to destination by carts or cargo bikes.

        This is different from the other proposals in this forum, as we wouldn't
        start from scratch, but from a dense neighbourhood, where a large amount of
        people live carfree, but still suffer from congestion and burden of car
        traffic in the environment.

        Downtown underground (carfree) city is accessible by metro. We could claim
        jobs are already available a few metro stops away remaining in a carfree
        area. The weakness I see though is although business are accessible, they
        wouldn't actively take part of the carfree city, unless of course they agree
        to turn part of downtown core carfree on surface streets.

        For leisure and nature, we'd need to make a carfree link to walk to
        Mount-Royal mountain, which is not that far from residential areas.

        Well, this is simply a thought for me now, but if Mont-Royal becomes
        carfree, that may be taken as a basis, a core, a first step towards a real
        carfree city project.

        I circulated the petition in my office floor this month, and will submit it
        next week.

        Louis-Luc
      • Matt Hohmeister
        Message 3 of 19 , Oct 3, 2002
          I'd be more than willing to live in a newly built carfree city--if I
          can get a good job.

          As far as setting up a new city goes, we can just use other "new"
          cities as examples. Off the top of my head, I remember Joel's book
          mentioning New Delhi and DC among others as "new" cities. Granted, we
          won't just pop up a 500,000+ city in a few years--it would take a
          generation or three--or longer.

          What I would like to know is what local taxes would be like compared
          to other cities. Emergency services, police patrols, and public
          services will all be cheaper, since they're not having to provide for
          cars.

          Unfortunately, there's one major problem I foresee: being taken
          seriously. I once had a friend's mouth practically hang open when I
          walked 8 minutes from my apartment to Waffle House to meet her for
          dinner: "This is not Europe--you can't do that.".

          Put simply, I sometimes have a very hard time being taken seriously
          when I make the decision to not use my car to get somewhere. I can
          name examples of this left and right. I have people look at me in
          absolute amazement when they find out that I walk a mile home from
          work at midnight.

          Some people see automobile use as a modern necessary--like wearing
          clothes. These same people will see a carfree city as some of us might
          see a nudist colony. If you move to a carfree city, do NOT be
          surprised if individuals and businesses initially refuse to visit you
          because they can't park right at your building.

          > I've been wondering how realistic it would be to get a huge group
          of
          > people together, with a diversity of skills, backgrounds,
          ethnicities,
          > knowledge, and with one commonality amongst all, the desire to live
          the
          > car free life in a city as proposed by Joel? I've been wondering
          for
          > along time and decided to shoot my mouth off to see what kind of
          >
          > I suppose the question has a lot of other loaded questions, tons,
          like
          > which country, organized by who, what climate, who would finance
          it,
          > those moving there? How would we be granted a system of local
          > government that would be a sufficient way for locals to govern
          > themselves? So many questions.
          >
          > Aside from my desire to live in the car free world, developing
          Joel's
          > ideal city would set an example for the rest of the world as to how
          > things are without cars. I imagine tourism, as in Venice, would be
          > major industry.
          >
          > Rob Hines
          > 104-165 Lowther Ave
          > Toronto ON M5R 1E5
          > robhines@m...
          > 416.944.3856
        • Rob Hines
          Message 4 of 19 , Oct 3, 2002
            I like the idea of picking an existing city location I have to say.
            Making this place carfree is dependent upon enough car-free minded
            people moving there, this is where I think the database could come in
            handy. What is the vacancy rate in the Plateau?

            Rob Hines
            104-165 Lowther Ave
            Toronto ON M5R 1E5
            robhines@...