Re: Car Free City

  • cndpandit
    Message 1 of 19 , Oct 1, 2002
      --- In carfree_cities@y..., "Chris Holt" <cholt2@c...> wrote:

      > Rob et al,
      >
      > I was just having this discussion with a car-free advocate of mine
      > couple of weeks ago. I am a firm believer in the fact that we will
      > never be able to enact the change we want in an existing
      > city/community. Buckminster Fuller said "You never change things
      by
      > fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new
      model
      > that makes the existing model obsolete" I have been trying to
      network
      > locally to build a car-free cohousing development for years to no
      > avail. Hense my desire to join together with like-minded
      individuals
      > to work with.
      >
      > I have been keeping my eye out for a parcel of land (100+ acres) to
      > purchase in southwestern Ontario somewhere. I have not found the
      > perfect one yet (been concentrating around Parry Sound - Huntsville
      > area), but I haven't given up. I am not held down to the city in
      > which I currently live (Windsor) and am up for relocating the
      family
      > for quality of life reasons, as long as certain conditions are
      met.
      > These conditions are out-of-this-world to John Q. Public, but (I
      would
      > hazard to guess) right in line with everyone on this list.
      >
      > I think, by all means, we should establish a data base of people
      > interested in pursuing this train of thought. It would be
      invaluable
      > for movement in the right direction. This can't start soon enough
      for
      > me.
      >
      > Chris Holt
      > Windsor, Ontario
      > cholt2@c...

      Hello Chris, Its Another Chris, Just thought Id tell you since its
      your neighborhood, I was blown away when I heard, Apparently there is
      an island in lake michigan that is a car free town resort.
    • Wilbur
      Message 2 of 19 , Oct 1, 2002
      • Wilbur
        Message 3 of 19 , Oct 1, 2002
        • turpin
          Message 4 of 19 , Oct 1, 2002
            "cndpandit" <nimaid@h...> wrote:
            > I was blown away when I heard, Apparently there is
            > an island in lake michigan that is a car free town
            > resort.

            Mackinac, in Lake Huron:

            http://www.mackinac.com/

            There are quite a few other islands where cars are
            used only as taxis or trucks, and most residents
            travel primarily by foot or bicycle. Some of the
            Channel Islands. Saba. Etc. But these are fairly
            exceptional cases.
          • Louis-Luc
            Message 5 of 19 , Oct 1, 2002
              > lol Wow I Understand. That is great. I like what your doing, your
              > acctually trying to organize the people of a city before it is built.
              > That is truely incredible. If you want to know what I think, I think
              > its Industry you should organize first, With freight rail. People
              > will move to town because of the jobs, right. People can use freight
              > also in the begining making it cheap to start. Take three counties,
              > create a presentation, and well that cheap property will, before you
              > know it, be some of the best valued property in the country. Im not
              > aware, Is a county legally allowed, in Canada or the USA to say No
              > CARS?

              A project will be presented to remove car traffic from Mont-Royal avenue in
              Montreal. As you will see in the following link
              "www.montroyal-avenueverte.com", already 15,000 people signed a petition to
              eliminate cars from that street. I'm pretty confident many people from those
              who sign would be willing to remove cars from a significant residential part
              of that neighborhood: not only from that street.

              Could we all together form a "Critical Mass"?
              We would still need to find a solution to freight transport: how to get
              merchandises to the many businesses and shops. There could be a dedicated
              railed avenue to move freight as close as possible, then it could be
              transported to destination by carts or cargo bikes.

              This is different from the other proposals in this forum, as we wouldn't
              start from scratch, but from a dense neighbourhood, where a large amount of
              people live carfree, but still suffer from congestion and burden of car
              traffic in the environment.

              Downtown underground (carfree) city is accessible by metro. We could claim
              jobs are already available a few metro stops away remaining in a carfree
              area. The weakness I see though is although business are accessible, they
              wouldn't actively take part of the carfree city, unless of course they agree
              to turn part of downtown core carfree on surface streets.

              For leisure and nature, we'd need to make a carfree link to walk to
              Mount-Royal mountain, which is not that far from residential areas.

              Well, this is simply a thought for me now, but if Mont-Royal becomes
              carfree, that may be taken as a basis, a core, a first step towards a real
              carfree city project.

              I circulated the petition in my office floor this month, and will submit it
              next week.

              Louis-Luc
            • Matt Hohmeister
              Message 6 of 19 , Oct 3, 2002
                I'd be more than willing to live in a newly built carfree city--if I
                can get a good job.

                As far as setting up a new city goes, we can just use other "new"
                cities as examples. Off the top of my head, I remember Joel's book
                mentioning New Delhi and DC among others as "new" cities. Granted, we
                won't just pop up a 500,000+ city in a few years--it would take a
                generation or three--or longer.

                What I would like to know is what local taxes would be like compared
                to other cities. Emergency services, police patrols, and public
                services will all be cheaper, since they're not having to provide for
                cars.

                Unfortunately, there's one major problem I foresee: being taken
                seriously. I once had a friend's mouth practically hang open when I
                walked 8 minutes from my apartment to Waffle House to meet her for
                dinner: "This is not Europe--you can't do that.".

                Put simply, I sometimes have a very hard time being taken seriously
                when I make the decision to not use my car to get somewhere. I can
                name examples of this left and right. I have people look at me in
                absolute amazement when they find out that I walk a mile home from
                work at midnight.

                Some people see automobile use as a modern necessary--like wearing
                clothes. These same people will see a carfree city as some of us might
                see a nudist colony. If you move to a carfree city, do NOT be
                surprised if individuals and businesses initially refuse to visit you
                because they can't park right at your building.

                > I've been wondering how realistic it would be to get a huge group
                of
                > people together, with a diversity of skills, backgrounds,
                ethnicities,
                > knowledge, and with one commonality amongst all, the desire to live
                the
                > car free life in a city as proposed by Joel? I've been wondering
                for
                > along time and decided to shoot my mouth off to see what kind of
                >
                > I suppose the question has a lot of other loaded questions, tons,
                like
                > which country, organized by who, what climate, who would finance
                it,
                > those moving there? How would we be granted a system of local
                > government that would be a sufficient way for locals to govern
                > themselves? So many questions.
                >
                > Aside from my desire to live in the car free world, developing
                Joel's
                > ideal city would set an example for the rest of the world as to how
                > things are without cars. I imagine tourism, as in Venice, would be
                > major industry.
                >
                > Rob Hines
                > 104-165 Lowther Ave
                > Toronto ON M5R 1E5
                > robhines@m...
                > 416.944.3856
              • Rob Hines
                Message 7 of 19 , Oct 3, 2002
                  I like the idea of picking an existing city location I have to say.
                  Making this place carfree is dependent upon enough car-free minded
                  people moving there, this is where I think the database could come in
                  handy. What is the vacancy rate in the Plateau?

                  Rob Hines
                  104-165 Lowther Ave
                  Toronto ON M5R 1E5
                  robhines@...