Re: [carfree_cities] Re: energy used in making of car

  • Chris Bradshaw
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 29, 2002
      "T. J. Binkley" wrote:

      > . . . Real cities offer several healthy, convenient
      > alternatives to cars. Not so for "refrigerators, washing machines or
      > personal computers".

      Hold it! Have we forgotten that cities predate refrigerators and
      washing machines?

      About a century ago most people relied on corners stores to keep food
      refrigerated until the day it was prepared. Corners stores could still
      make a comeback.

      As for washing machines, laundromats could be located within the corner
      stores, so these machines, too, could be shared, reducing the
      manufacturing costs-per-user. Apartment buildings and cohousing
      projects also do this kind of sharing now.

      The corner store, itself, is a casuality of the car society.

      We at Vrtucar (Ottawa's carshaing company) are looking at putting
      together a turn-key unit for existing corner stores: the owner would
      replace his own car/van with a shared one from us (they need a vehicle
      for the store, as so little is delivered today to such small outlets),
      which could produce them revenue at other times when used by carsharers
      living nearby. At the same time, their business would increase as those
      who used the shared vehicle would see the real cost of every driving
      trip, making the items bought with only a walk far cheaper.

      Chris Bradshaw
      Ottawa