ped casualty rates

  • Lanyon, Ryan
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 9, 2002
      Bill, hope this helps:

      CRASHES TO BECOME 3RD BIGGEST KILLER

      -> According to an Aug. 28th AP story filed in Geneva, "Traffic
      accidents are set to become one of the world's biggest killers in the
      next two decades, with pedestrians making up far and away the largest
      number of victims, the leader of a U.N.-sponsored research body said
      Wednesday. 'These accidents are currently the ninth leading cause of
      death globally,' said Dr. Adnan Hyder, a founder member of the Road
      Traffic Injury Research Network, which is funded by the World Health
      Organization. Hyder also is a professor of international health at
      Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, Maryland.

      "The most recent United Nations statistics show that almost 1.2 million
      people were killed on the world's roads in 1998, Hyder said. By 2020
      road accidents will be the third leading cause of death, behind heart
      disease and deaths linked to mental illness, Hyder said. Governments ?
      especially in poor countries ? must find new ways to reduce the
      carnage, he said. Most of the accidents occur in developing countries
      where Western-style traffic regulations are largely ineffective because
      they are rarely enforced or because people and vehicles have to share
      the same busy roads.

      "'Two-thirds of the people who die are pedestrians,' Hyder told
      reporters. 'People who will never own a car in their life are at the
      greatest risk.'..."

      Source:
      http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20020828/ap_wo_en_ge/un_he
      alth_road_accidents_1
      Title: "Traffic accidents could be third-biggest killer in 20 years:
      expert"
      Author: Jonathan Fowler

      ---
      Message: 4
      Date: Sun, 08 Sep 2002 14:44:52 -0000
      From: "billt44hk" <telomsha@...>
      Subject: casualty rates

      Can anyone confirm the annual statistic and whether when quoted as it
      often is, as being the number "killed by cars" does it in fact mean
      those killed by trucks, buses, etc as well as 'private cars' or do we
      have breakdown stats.
    • Lanyon, Ryan
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 9, 2002
        Some more details:

        L.A. PED FATALITIES HIT MINORITIES, SENIORS

        -> According to an Aug. 19th Los Angeles Times story, "Luis Bosch
        Guzman served as a U.S. Army sergeant in Panama and Pearl Harbor before
        moving to Echo Park to enjoy retirement with his three children and
        wife of nearly 50 years. But on a rainy February morning in 1996, he
        became another pedestrian fatality on the increasingly crowded streets
        of Los Angeles. The 77-year-old native of Puerto Rico was hit by a
        speeding pickup truck as he crossed busy Alvarado Boulevard to buy a
        newspaper near his Echo Park home. The driver, who was never cited,
        told police he was in a hurry to get to work and didn't see the man in
        the crosswalk until it was too late. In several respects--his age, his
        ethnic background and the location of the accident--Bosch's death is
        typical of those that have made Los Angeles County the nation's leader
        in pedestrian fatalities.

        A Times analysis of more than 2,500 pedestrian deaths from 1993 through
        2001 found that although the fatal accidents are concentrated in
        densely populated urban neighborhoods, the county's deadliest streets
        are not necessarily its busiest. The study also found that government
        efforts to improve pedestrian safety have not always occurred in areas
        with the most deaths. The deaths occur in crowded urban neighborhoods
        that, like Echo Park, are bisected by busy thoroughfares that commuters
        use to avoid crowded freeways. The communities of Westlake, Hollywood,
        Boyle Heights and South and Central Los Angeles have been especially
        hard hit..."

        Source:
        http://www.latimes.com/news/yahoo/la-me-peds19aug19005059.story?coll=la%2Dne
        wsaol%2Dheadlines
        (free registration required)
        Archive search: http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/latimes/index.html
        Cost: Yes (after 7 days)
        Title: "Inequities in Pedestrian Deaths"