Re: [carfree_cities] October 2 is International Bike to School Day

  • Ian Finnesey
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 8, 2002
      --- mtneuman <mtneuman@...> wrote:
      > Participation in the Third Annual International
      > "Walk to School Day",
      > which is Wednesday, October 2, 2002, is something
      > people concerned

      Wouldn't April or May be a better time for this event?
      I mean, October makes it a little rough on anyone in
      Alaska (I am probably now the only person in the state
      who has heard of your little campaign, no doubt for
      that very reason). And probably parts of Canada, and
      Scandinavia as well (that would be more of a concern,
      I think). There's almost certainly going to be snow on
      the ground by then, here.

      http://finance.yahoo.com
    • Donna Lewandowski
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 9, 2002
        The only problem I see with having Walk to School day set for April or May
        is that it is towards the end of the traditional school year, and any
        increase in walking to school will most likely disappear over the summer.
        Having walk to school day at the beginning of the year encourages people to
        make it a habit right away, and if they keep it up through the school year,
        they are more likely to make a long-term habit of it.

        That doesn't, of course, address your very valid concern with our northern
        populations. But anyplace that doesn't have those special cases would be
        wise to have their event towards the beginning of the school year...

        Donna Lewandowski