October 2 is International Bike to School Day

  • mtneuman
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 8, 2002
      Participation in the Third Annual International "Walk to School Day",
      which is Wednesday, October 2, 2002, is something people concerned
      about too much auto traffic, pollution, and global warming might want
      to consider participating in within their own communities (or if
      their communities are not geared up for this yet, check out the web
      site address www.walktoschool-usa.org/7steps.htm for helpful steps to
      recognize the day in your community).

      International Walk to School Day gives children, parents, school
      teachers, and community leaders an opportunity to be part of a global
      event as they celebrate the many benefits of walking (and bicycling).
      Last year, nearly 3 million walkers from 21 countries walked to
      school together for various reasons - all hoping to create more
      liveable and safer communities for their children to grow in and
      appreciate. Communities located in 49 or the 50 U.S. states
      involving over 600,000 walkers in the U.S. participated in the event
      last year.

      For many of the communities, one day isn't enough. For example,
      Madison, Wisconsin's "Safe Kids" and "Safe Community" Coalitions
      selects an entire week to celebrate safe walking. Encouraging and
      helping kids walk or bike to school is perhaps the single most
      environmentally-friendly act a parent can do for the back-to-school
      season and for their children's overall well-being. More information
      about how Madison coordinates its Walk to School Week, including
      sample letters to parents, area businesses (for sponsoring the walk)
      and a "walkability checklist" can be found at the web site:
      http://www.safecommunitycoalition.org/Walk%20Kids%20Campaign.htm

      If you walk or bicycle to school, you can reduce the global warming
      contributions of your travel to and from school to zero. In
      contrast, if someone drives you to school in an automobile that gets
      approximately 20 miles to the gallon of fuel, about 20 more pounds of
      the greenhouse gas carbon dioxide emitted to the atmosphere, where
      those gases will remain upwards of 100 years, warming the planet.

      Michael Neuman
      Madison, WI
      608) 266-5428

      http://danenet.danenet.org/bcp/neuman_gw.pdf
      http://www.geocities.com/mtneuman/tribute_flag.html

      "The only thing in American politics that speaks more loudly than
      money is a riled-up citizenry. So get riled up!"
      - Dennis Hayes, "The Official Earth Day Guide to Planet Repair", 2001.
    • Ian Finnesey
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 8, 2002
        --- mtneuman <mtneuman@...> wrote:
        > Participation in the Third Annual International
        > "Walk to School Day",
        > which is Wednesday, October 2, 2002, is something
        > people concerned

        Wouldn't April or May be a better time for this event?
        I mean, October makes it a little rough on anyone in
        Alaska (I am probably now the only person in the state
        who has heard of your little campaign, no doubt for
        that very reason). And probably parts of Canada, and
        Scandinavia as well (that would be more of a concern,
        I think). There's almost certainly going to be snow on
        the ground by then, here.

        http://finance.yahoo.com
      • Donna Lewandowski
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 9, 2002
          The only problem I see with having Walk to School day set for April or May
          is that it is towards the end of the traditional school year, and any
          increase in walking to school will most likely disappear over the summer.
          Having walk to school day at the beginning of the year encourages people to
          make it a habit right away, and if they keep it up through the school year,
          they are more likely to make a long-term habit of it.

          That doesn't, of course, address your very valid concern with our northern
          populations. But anyplace that doesn't have those special cases would be
          wise to have their event towards the beginning of the school year...

          Donna Lewandowski