I have a problem!

  • cndpandit
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 8, 2002
      Hello, My name is Christian David and I am developing quite a
      problem. I live in Canada. I discovered early in my life that I had a
      true love for nature. I also discovered that I dont beleive in or
      appreciate the combustion engine technology. (It seems though in
      North America without a car you are forced to live quite a deprived
      life.) So I accepted that I would only support financially a better
      technology. Then I discovered Carfree.com. I was litterally blown
      away. The possibility did not occure to me. An urban environment
      without cars. I was in love. However now Ive developed a large
      problem. I take the bus and it feels like the most barberic
      monstrosity all the turns,cofee spilling on myself, the waiting
      times. As I walk down the street huddled to the side while trafic
      zooms by. I feel anger. As my rights are being violated. As I stop to
      wait for traffic to cross the street I look at individulals, couples
      families with despise, I want to flick them the bird, ( They would
      not have a clue why I'd do that, would they) I was given a vision of
      something I feel is so much better than what seems to be engrained in
      North American culture like blood. And Yes Its growning into a pure
      hatred for everything car related around me. Please Help, What do I
      do?
    • Louis-Luc
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 8, 2002
        > Hello, My name is Christian David and I am developing quite a
        > problem. I live in Canada. I discovered early in my life that I had a

        Hello Christian,

        Welcome in!

        I agree with 100% of what you wrote, it is represen-
        tative of what the deepest of my heart (my soul) feels.

        I'm also a Canadian, and I feel the same hate,
        anger, and sorrow about how the car has corrupted
        the fundamental values of our society, and how it has
        degraded our life quality. I feel like in a prison
        when I go out near a street where cars are zooming like
        crazy. I feel anger, constantly thinking about pushing
        some obstacle into this obstacle, so I can just pull
        out my bike and ride along SAFELY. I'm also tired of
        paying taxes for some roads I don't feel welcome on.

        For me, the worst problem with cars is SAFETY. Carfree
        places are THE BEST, but however, I still feel somewhat
        good in places where there are some cars, but the speed
        is controlled by force, or the design forces good driving.

        What province are you from?

        I'm from Montreal suburb, and my life quest is to
        end up living in a carfree area, ideally creating one
        near where I live.

        No, you don't have a problem, the corrupted society has
        one though, that imposes a physical handicap to people
        thinking like us and to others as well (but they don't see it!).

        Louis-Luc
      • Ian Finnesey
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 8, 2002
          --- Louis-Luc <exqmtl@...> wrote:

          > I'm from Montreal suburb, and my life quest is to
          > end up living in a carfree area, ideally creating
          > one
          > near where I live.

          Get on the zoning board. That's where the psycho-shit
          begins.

          Me, I'm not all that keen on "car-free," but
          walkability would be nice. How many north american
          cities can boast that? I doubt I'd have to take my
          socks off to count the ones over 30,000 people that
          can, and I wouldn't even get round to taking my pants
          off to count the ones under, I suspect.

          http://finance.yahoo.com
        • smca013@ec.auckland.ac.nz
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 9, 2002
            Greetings to Christian David & all
            Here in Auckland NZ, things are pretty car-dominated too, and I completely
            empathise with your rage! It's quite justified!
            But, there is a bigger picture, that might help you. It's what works for me,
            anyway. Everyone has to work out their own approach, but sharing our
            experiences is useful.

            I don't know if you know about the idea of a "Koan" - it's a Zen idea. It's
            like a paradoxical riddle.
            For me, living a car-free life in a car-dominated environment is like a
            personal koan. The struggle is, knowing you are doing something which is for
            the good of the whole planet, while it seems almost everyone else is behaving
            in what feels, to us cyclists, pedestrians etc, like utterly selfish and
            destructive behaviour. It's all to easy to fall into negative rage and
            resentment. This is really stressful and tiring. And it does not further our
            cause: think of people you know who are all-consumed by some other cause (about
            which you don't feel strongly) for me that might be a religious evangelist who
            tries to force their views on me without respecting where I'm at. Or whatever.
            The Angry Activist.

            Anyway, if your anger is expressed harshly (and maybe it isn't- perhaps what
            you're talking about is happening inside only!), it puts people off, because
            it's unpleasant to be around. That can alienate the people we need to contact
            most.
            But there's hope! It's about learning that anger is a coin with 2 sides. The
            other side is righteous anger that is expressed in a "skilful" and judicious
            way.

            This isn't something anyone can learn overnight, and indeed, it remains
            diffcult for me at times!
            It requires a preparedness to work with our own deep down hurts and anger and
            everything that "pushes our buttons"! (going way back to childhood at times!).
            It requires learning to be more aware and mindful (in a kindly way) of what is
            going on inside as well as outside you mind/heart.

            The other day I was biking up a hill, and someone in a shiny sports car turned
            into a side street nearly knocking me off. I saw a chance to go and tell him
            off, as he was manoeuvering into a driveway. But first, before acting , I
            thought:
            "Can i do this without exploding into rage? The guy is simply ignorant and it's
            not entirely his fault. He's a product of a consumerist, car-dominated society;
            he's deluded by it. Poor thing! He has even bought into sports-car as status
            symbol thing - gee I really feel sorry for him!"

            That meant I was able to go up to him and give him a telling off, without being
            overly negative. Afterwards I felt satisfied that I'd made him think, and
            although I hadn't flown into a nasty rage, I had rightly defended myself. I
            even got an apology out of him!!!
            (There are other times when I've gotten into a really bad state of mind and
            screamed abuse at motorists: this clearly doesn't advance our "cause", so now I
            only every tell someone off if I'm sure I've got my anger safely "channelled"!)

            The bigger picture for me to is have an over-arching ideal in life (for some
            people, religion or psychotherapy is useful in that way). My ideal is to do my
            best not to increase suffering (e.g., by making that driver feel defensive),
            and to develop and to learn positive ways of responding to the mess that humans
            are making: life is a learning experience. The Angry Activist can just become a
            negative stereotype - don't buy into it. Having a bigger picture of the
            situation can help.
            This I hope doesn't sound too much like new-age touchy feely stuff! But for me
            it helps.
            Well, I hope that's useful.
            Keep going,
            Sally
          • Randall Hunt
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 10, 2002
              Check out http://www.arcosanti.org They are dealing with issues of
              building carfree urbanisms right now, and actively, albeit slowly,
              constructing a prototype in Arizona. They offer workshops and I highly
              recommend them. You will meet some very interesting like-minded people.
              They could use your help and enthusiasm.

              >Date: Sun, 08 Sep 2002 19:58:56 -0000
              >From: "cndpandit" <nimaid@...>
              >Subject: I have a problem!
              >
              > Hello, My name is Christian David and I am developing quite a
              >problem. I live in Canada. I discovered early in my life that I had a
              >true love for nature. I also discovered that I dont beleive in or
              >appreciate the combustion engine technology. (It seems though in
              >North America without a car you are forced to live quite a deprived
              >life.) So I accepted that I would only support financially a better
              >technology. Then I discovered Carfree.com. I was litterally blown
              >away. The possibility did not occure to me. An urban environment
              >without cars. I was in love. However now Ive developed a large
              >problem. I take the bus and it feels like the most barberic
              >monstrosity all the turns,cofee spilling on myself, the waiting
              >times. As I walk down the street huddled to the side while trafic
              >zooms by. I feel anger. As my rights are being violated. As I stop to
              >wait for traffic to cross the street I look at individulals, couples
              >families with despise, I want to flick them the bird, ( They would
              >not have a clue why I'd do that, would they) I was given a vision of
              >something I feel is so much better than what seems to be engrained in
              >North American culture like blood. And Yes Its growning into a pure
              >hatred for everything car related around me. Please Help, What do I
              >do?
            • S Baddeley
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 10, 2002
                I hope this message about the difficulty and importance of struggling to
                combine political commitment with good manners and not minding being
                labelled "soft" is taken on board. I share the feelings described here at
                times - especially when I see great swathes of my country blighted by the
                searing roar of motorised traffic and urban communities blighted by traffic
                speeding between traffic jams - but try to keep them inside, because rage is
                ridiculous as well as futile. To maintain equanimity requires the
                discipline to be a good and decent person. It is hard work and the result of
                struggle with oneself. I think it does get a bit easier with age - but
                that's only because red mist isn't triggered so swiftly or so profusely.

                Simon

                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 10, 2002
                  --- In carfree_cities@y..., smca013@e... wrote:
> [...]
                  our "cause", so now I
                  > only every tell someone off if I'm sure I've got my anger
                  safely "channelled"!)

                  > The bigger picture for me to is have an over-arching ideal in life
                  (for some
                  > people, religion or psychotherapy is useful in that way). My ideal
                  is to do my
                  > best not to increase suffering (e.g., by making that driver feel
                  defensive),
                  > and to develop and to learn positive ways of responding to the mess
                  that humans
                  > are making: life is a learning experience. The Angry Activist can
                  just become a
                  > negative stereotype - don't buy into it. Having a bigger picture of
                  the
                  > situation can help.
                  > This I hope doesn't sound too much like new-age touchy feely stuff!

                  It is always a pleasure to encounter a human being as beutifull as
                  you are, Sally in New Zealand. I thank you very much for creating
                  your reply. I too also enjoy the finner aspects of human emotions.
                  I agree with you whole hardedly. I however feel that anger
                  chanelled into consructive action is one of the strongest human
                  forces in the world. For that is the pivot point of change is it
                  not. I am a capitalist, I am very aware that in our society If I
                  create the sollution to a problem, I could make alada money. I feel
                  very fortunate to live in a world with so many problems. Its just
                  that for one moment I sliped, I felt for that moment: "For Gods Sake!
                  Is most of the world mentally handicap, Why arent we more inclined to
                  truely enjoy the benefits of progress."

                  I greatly admire your commitment in being a cyclist, pedestrian. Also
                  your effort in being a better person is excisitly refreshing.

                  Take great care,
                  Chris
                • cndpandit
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 10, 2002
                    --- In carfree_cities@y..., "Louis-Luc" <exqmtl@a...> wrote:
                    > > Hello, My name is Christian David and I am developing quite a
                    > > problem. I live in Canada. I discovered early in my life that I
                    had a

                    > Hello Christian,
                    >
                    > Welcome in!
                    >
                    > I agree with 100% of what you wrote, it is represen-
                    > tative of what the deepest of my heart (my soul) feels.
                    >
                    > I'm also a Canadian, and I feel the same hate,
                    > anger, and sorrow about how the car has corrupted
                    > the fundamental values of our society, and how it has
                    > degraded our life quality. I feel like in a prison
                    > when I go out near a street where cars are zooming like
                    > crazy. I feel anger, constantly thinking about pushing
                    > some obstacle into this obstacle, so I can just pull
                    > out my bike and ride along SAFELY. I'm also tired of
                    > paying taxes for some roads I don't feel welcome on.
                    >
                    > For me, the worst problem with cars is SAFETY. Carfree
                    > places are THE BEST, but however, I still feel somewhat
                    > good in places where there are some cars, but the speed
                    > is controlled by force, or the design forces good driving.
                    >
                    > What province are you from?
                    >
                    > I'm from Montreal suburb, and my life quest is to
                    > end up living in a carfree area, ideally creating one
                    > near where I live.
                    >
                    > No, you don't have a problem, the corrupted society has
                    > one though, that imposes a physical handicap to people
                    > thinking like us and to others as well (but they don't see it!).
                    >
                    > Louis-Luc

                    Hello Louis-Luc,
                    I am very glad to meet you. I live fairly close,
                    The city of Gatineau, formerly known as Hull, or to summ it up
                    internationally, Ottawa. I can tell you this right now, we can
                    possibly collaborate, and/or we can just stay in touch and with that
                    you can experience your life quest. Lets join projects or come up
                    with a new one. I must be honest however I couldnt begin
                    implementation of any car free developing or restructuring till at
                    least fall, 2003. I would love to choose Montreal, If it interest
                    you to exchange coordinates, just respond.
                  • cndpandit
                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 10, 2002
                      --- In carfree_cities@y..., "S Baddeley" <s.j.baddeley@b...> wrote:
                      > I hope this message about the difficulty and importance of
                      struggling to
                      > combine political commitment with good manners and not minding being
                      > labelled "soft" is taken on board. I share the feelings described
                      here at
                      > times - especially when I see great swathes of my country blighted
                      by the
                      > searing roar of motorised traffic and urban communities blighted by
                      traffic
                      > speeding between traffic jams - but try to keep them inside,
                      because rage is
                      > ridiculous as well as futile. To maintain equanimity requires the
                      > discipline to be a good and decent person. It is hard work and the
                      result of
                      > struggle with oneself. I think it does get a bit easier with age -
                      but
                      > that's only because red mist isn't triggered so swiftly or so
                      profusely.

                      > Simon

                      lol red mist huh, lol

                      Sometimes in order to be a good person one has to stand up and
                      say "thats enough".

                      Now with car free, I truely think its a case of; How can anyone
                      know they like something if they have never seen it.

                      And so with that Yes I am a little pissed at human kinds lack of
                      insight.

                      I will make a point to savour my red mist, for I rather enjoy it.

                      lol I wish you the best,

                      Chris