Stop shopping mall at Cliffords Tower, York, England

  • cliffordstower
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 7, 2002
      Please help us stop the building of a cheap and nasty shopping mall
      next to the scheduled ancient monument of Cliffords Tower.
      York cannot claim to be reducing car useage if it is also building a
      major shopping centre like this. The transport policy is a joke.

      Please sign our petition:-
      http://www.cliffordstower.com/petition/

      Read more about the campaign:-
      http://www.geocities.com/cliffordstower/

      Thnak-you.
      Dave Gorman
      Castle Area Campaign
    • Ian Finnesey
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 7, 2002
        Is it cheap and nasty? Does it create a vast sea of
        asphalt, or do they hide their parking well, leaving
        much pedestrian access?

        I notice you don't provide any links which give us
        detailed information regarding this project.

        (Not that it matters to me, the chances of me ever
        setting foot in the UK are slim to none)

        Anyhow, if you're going to oppose it, look at their
        poll on one of those links. I don't see how a
        shopping center, park, and parking lot (esp.
        underground) are mutually incompatible, depending on
        how much space there is and the layout.

        For example...when I was living in Sapporo, Japan,
        there was a sort of shopping mall near my school,
        except it was four buildings, with two supermarkets,
        and one big-box type retailer (though about half the
        size of most in the US), with other shops on top of
        two of those (and apartments over the third), and
        small storefronts, With sort of a courtyard kind of
        thing in the middle. With a more attractive facade,
        and a lot less asphalt and concrete on the ground, an
        arrangement like that could make all but the most hard
        core car-opponents, and potentially the developers
        (depending if it raises the price too much) happy.
        Hell, even as it was it was a nice place to hang out.

        If it could be made to look like it BELONGED next to
        your castle, I'm sure most opposition would evaporate.

        --- cliffordstower <cliffordstower@...> wrote:
        > Please help us stop the building of a cheap and
        > nasty shopping mall
        > next to the scheduled ancient monument of Cliffords
        > Tower.
        > York cannot claim to be reducing car useage if it is
        > also building a
        > major shopping centre like this. The transport
        > policy is a joke.
        >
        > Please sign our petition:-
        > http://www.cliffordstower.com/petition/
        >
        > Read more about the campaign:-