Re: Articles needed

  • greenshift
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 2, 2002
      Mr. Crawford,

      I'd like to see an article on local movements or efforts to create
      auto-free zones, of whatever size, within cities. I'm involved in
      such an effort here in Santa Fe, New Mexico, where we are attempting
      to ban cars from our famous Plaza, downtown. Arcata California is
      attempting this in their plaza, as well (You may speak to Jan
      Lundberg at info@... regarding their local effort).

      If we use all available resources to inquire into such local
      efforts, I think we will discover quite a lot!

      How about spotlighting the work of people in Copenhagen! These
      people have accomplished something wonderful and delighful! The
      whole city may not be car-free, but much of it is, to their credit.
      They've also got an interesting bicycle program going there. And
      nearly half of the citizens of this city use bikes to get to work!

      James - greenshift@...

      --- In carfree_cities@y..., "J.H. Crawford" <mailbox@c...> wrote:

      > Hi All,
      >
      > I'd like some quick proposals for the next Carfree Times.
      > I need a book review, and I'd like very much to run as
      > a Feature Article a summary of the events in Johannesburg.
      >
      > Anyone interested?
      >
      > Regards,
      >

      > --
      ### --

      > J.H. Crawford Carfree
      Cities
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 3, 2002
        Hi & thanks, I was actually asking if anyone wanted to write
        such things. I've had a good response, and we have a couple
        of good issues ahead.

        Regards,

        >Mr. Crawford,
        >
        >I'd like to see an article on local movements or efforts to create
        >auto-free zones, of whatever size, within cities. I'm involved in
        >such an effort here in Santa Fe, New Mexico, where we are attempting
        >to ban cars from our famous Plaza, downtown. Arcata California is
        >attempting this in their plaza, as well (You may speak to Jan
        >Lundberg at info@... regarding their local effort).
        >
        >If we use all available resources to inquire into such local
        >efforts, I think we will discover quite a lot!
        >
        >How about spotlighting the work of people in Copenhagen! These
        >people have accomplished something wonderful and delighful! The
        >whole city may not be car-free, but much of it is, to their credit.
        >They've also got an interesting bicycle program going there. And
        >nearly half of the citizens of this city use bikes to get to work!
        >
        > James - greenshift@...
        >

        >--- In carfree_cities@y..., "J.H. Crawford" <mailbox@c...> wrote:
        >>
        >> Hi All,
        >>
        >> I'd like some quick proposals for the next Carfree Times.
        >> I need a book review, and I'd like very much to run as
        >> a Feature Article a summary of the events in Johannesburg.
        >>
        >> Anyone interested?
        >>
        >> Regards,
        >>

        >> --
        >### --
        >>
        >> J.H. Crawford Carfree
        >Cities
        >> mailbox@c... Carfree.com

        -- ### --

        J.H. Crawford Carfree Cities
        mailbox@... Carfree.com
      • mtneuman
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 8, 2002
          --- In carfree_cities@y..., "J.H. Crawford" <mailbox@c...> wrote:

          > Hi & thanks, I was actually asking if anyone wanted to write
          > such things. I've had a good response, and we have a couple
          > of good issues ahead.
          > Carfree.com

          There is an excellent video out on the carfree State Street Mall in
          Madison, Wisconsin. State Street runs from Bascom Hill on the Univ.
          of Wisconsin campus and ends about 1.5 miles at the State Capital
          building. No cars other than service vehicles are allowed on the
          street. (There are also sidewalks.) Bicycling is allowed on the
          street, but so (unfortunately) are buses.

          The city almost has to allow the buses to use the street in order to
          get people to get shoppers to State Street, students to the campus,
          and state office workers to their jobs downtown. Madison's downtown is
          located on an isthmus, making use of other streets by the buses
          difficult. The prohibition agaist car travel on State Street has been
          going on for about 20 years now, and people (other than some of the
          merchants) like it that way.

          If someone decides to write an article on State Street, I would
          attempt to get the video for them.

          Mike
          (608) 266-5428 or email mtneuman@...
        • huemorin
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 9, 2002
            -
            Eugene, Oregon, the home of the University of Oregon has had a
            pedestrian
            mall in the city center for about 25 years.

            Recently (within the last year or so), there has been an active
            campaign by
            merchants and construction companies to open the downtown to vehicular
            traffic, culminating in a referendum about 5 months ago, in which the
            proponents of vehicular traffic won by a margin of something like 51
            to 49%
            (i.e. illusion of special interests: the people have spoken, the
            system
            works, etc).

            Construction has started to open the pedestrian mall to vehicular
            traffic.
            Seems to me that Eugene is moving 100% in the wrong direction. But why
            should the college town be an isolated beacon of enlightenment ?

            Mike Morin
          • paul temperton
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 18, 2002
              Mike wrote:

              > ....There is an excellent video out on the carfree State Street
              Mall in
              > Madison, Wisconsin. ............ Bicycling is allowed on the
              > street, but so (unfortunately) are buses.

              -- Why is it unfortunate that buses are allowed? Aren't we supposed
              to be in favour of public transport?

              Paul
            • Steve
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 18, 2002
                Paul,

                I think I understand why Mike said it's unfortunate to have buses (or
                any other vehicles for that matter) alongside bicycle lanes or paths

                The problem is safety, pollution, and regular or irrigular bus stops.
                In Montreal, if I'm correct, in some streets there are concrete
                barriers about few inches high between the street and the bicycle
                paths. The other problem is that the planning is not up to par when
                it comes to urban planning. There are other factors as well...

                Steve