Articles needed

    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 2, 2002
      Hi All,

      I'd like some quick proposals for the next Carfree Times.
      I need a book review, and I'd like very much to run as
      a Feature Article a summary of the events in Johannesburg.

      Anyone interested?

      Regards,

      -- ### --

      J.H. Crawford Carfree Cities
      mailbox@... Carfree.com
    • greenshift
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 2, 2002
        Mr. Crawford,

        I'd like to see an article on local movements or efforts to create
        auto-free zones, of whatever size, within cities. I'm involved in
        such an effort here in Santa Fe, New Mexico, where we are attempting
        to ban cars from our famous Plaza, downtown. Arcata California is
        attempting this in their plaza, as well (You may speak to Jan
        Lundberg at info@... regarding their local effort).

        If we use all available resources to inquire into such local
        efforts, I think we will discover quite a lot!

        How about spotlighting the work of people in Copenhagen! These
        people have accomplished something wonderful and delighful! The
        whole city may not be car-free, but much of it is, to their credit.
        They've also got an interesting bicycle program going there. And
        nearly half of the citizens of this city use bikes to get to work!

        James - greenshift@...

        --- In carfree_cities@y..., "J.H. Crawford" <mailbox@c...> wrote:

        > Hi All,
        >
        > I'd like some quick proposals for the next Carfree Times.
        > I need a book review, and I'd like very much to run as
        > a Feature Article a summary of the events in Johannesburg.
        >
        > Anyone interested?
        >
        > Regards,
        >

        > --
        ### --

        > J.H. Crawford Carfree
        Cities
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 3, 2002
          Hi & thanks, I was actually asking if anyone wanted to write
          such things. I've had a good response, and we have a couple
          of good issues ahead.

          Regards,

          >Mr. Crawford,
          >
          >I'd like to see an article on local movements or efforts to create
          >auto-free zones, of whatever size, within cities. I'm involved in
          >such an effort here in Santa Fe, New Mexico, where we are attempting
          >to ban cars from our famous Plaza, downtown. Arcata California is
          >attempting this in their plaza, as well (You may speak to Jan
          >Lundberg at info@... regarding their local effort).
          >
          >If we use all available resources to inquire into such local
          >efforts, I think we will discover quite a lot!
          >
          >How about spotlighting the work of people in Copenhagen! These
          >people have accomplished something wonderful and delighful! The
          >whole city may not be car-free, but much of it is, to their credit.
          >They've also got an interesting bicycle program going there. And
          >nearly half of the citizens of this city use bikes to get to work!
          >
          > James - greenshift@...
          >

          >--- In carfree_cities@y..., "J.H. Crawford" <mailbox@c...> wrote:
          >>
          >> Hi All,
          >>
          >> I'd like some quick proposals for the next Carfree Times.
          >> I need a book review, and I'd like very much to run as
          >> a Feature Article a summary of the events in Johannesburg.
          >>
          >> Anyone interested?
          >>
          >> Regards,
          >>

          >> --
          >### --
          >>
          >> J.H. Crawford Carfree
          >Cities
          >> mailbox@c... Carfree.com

          -- ### --

          J.H. Crawford Carfree Cities
          mailbox@... Carfree.com
        • mtneuman
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 8, 2002
            --- In carfree_cities@y..., "J.H. Crawford" <mailbox@c...> wrote:

            > Hi & thanks, I was actually asking if anyone wanted to write
            > such things. I've had a good response, and we have a couple
            > of good issues ahead.
            > Carfree.com

            There is an excellent video out on the carfree State Street Mall in
            Madison, Wisconsin. State Street runs from Bascom Hill on the Univ.
            of Wisconsin campus and ends about 1.5 miles at the State Capital
            building. No cars other than service vehicles are allowed on the
            street. (There are also sidewalks.) Bicycling is allowed on the
            street, but so (unfortunately) are buses.

            The city almost has to allow the buses to use the street in order to
            get people to get shoppers to State Street, students to the campus,
            and state office workers to their jobs downtown. Madison's downtown is
            located on an isthmus, making use of other streets by the buses
            difficult. The prohibition agaist car travel on State Street has been
            going on for about 20 years now, and people (other than some of the
            merchants) like it that way.

            If someone decides to write an article on State Street, I would
            attempt to get the video for them.

            Mike
            (608) 266-5428 or email mtneuman@...
          • huemorin
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 9, 2002
              -
              Eugene, Oregon, the home of the University of Oregon has had a
              pedestrian
              mall in the city center for about 25 years.

              Recently (within the last year or so), there has been an active
              campaign by
              merchants and construction companies to open the downtown to vehicular
              traffic, culminating in a referendum about 5 months ago, in which the
              proponents of vehicular traffic won by a margin of something like 51
              to 49%
              (i.e. illusion of special interests: the people have spoken, the
              system
              works, etc).

              Construction has started to open the pedestrian mall to vehicular
              traffic.
              Seems to me that Eugene is moving 100% in the wrong direction. But why
              should the college town be an isolated beacon of enlightenment ?

              Mike Morin
            • paul temperton
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 18, 2002
                Mike wrote:

                > ....There is an excellent video out on the carfree State Street
                Mall in
                > Madison, Wisconsin. ............ Bicycling is allowed on the
                > street, but so (unfortunately) are buses.

                -- Why is it unfortunate that buses are allowed? Aren't we supposed
                to be in favour of public transport?

                Paul
              • Steve
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 18, 2002
                  Paul,

                  I think I understand why Mike said it's unfortunate to have buses (or
                  any other vehicles for that matter) alongside bicycle lanes or paths

                  The problem is safety, pollution, and regular or irrigular bus stops.
                  In Montreal, if I'm correct, in some streets there are concrete
                  barriers about few inches high between the street and the bicycle
                  paths. The other problem is that the planning is not up to par when
                  it comes to urban planning. There are other factors as well...

                  Steve