Re: [carfree_cities] sticker abuse

  • Ian Finnesey
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 31, 2002
      Someone should make printable stickers with the
      post-it-note adhesive on it. That way they'd come off
      so easily, stickering victims could just be given the
      finger.

      --- "J.H. Crawford" <mailbox@...> wrote:

      > Hi All,
      >
      > I've had three irate e-mails today from people
      > apparently in
      > the Berkeley area. Somebody has been pasting stuff
      > on cars that
      > had the Carfree.com address on it. If anybody knows
      > anything,
      > please advise. This isn't helping anything, and it's
      > giving
      > me a real pain to deal with.
      >
      > Here is a sample:
      >
      > ------------
      > It is an interesting irony that you have taken away
      > the option to e mail you via your website because
      > you think e mail spamming should be stopped and yet
      > you and or your representatives have taken the
      > liberty to spam our vehicle with your organization's
      > sticker.
      >
      > I empathize with your quest to eliminate cars from
      > our roadways but you have violated my own right to
      > decide whether or not I want to emblazon my vehicle
      > with your sticker.
      >
      > My husband has reported this action to the police.
      > I hope that by notifying you of this you will take a
      > moment to consider that your spamming my car is just
      > as vile as people who use the internet without
      > solicitation.
      >
      > Good luck with your cause and please stop the car
      > spamming.
      > ------------
      >
      > I responded, indicating that I didn't know anything
      > about it and
      > got this back:
      >
      > -----------
      > I suppose if you truly didn't know anything about
      > this you would take an interest in trying to halt
      > those who are responsible since they are going about
      > our neighborhood in Berkeley and slathering glue
      > over paper flyers onto cars that state things such
      > as SUBSIDIZED with a bunch of rhetoric about how
      > cars are responsible for taking away taxpayer
      > dollars, or I KILL CHILDREN, etc., etc.
      >
      > I apologize for accusing you of something you may
      > not have done but they did list your e mail address
      > on their flyer as a way to "Learn more."
      >
      > Maybe you could send out a message to your
      > subscribers letting them know that this kind of
      > action is not tolerated and the police have been
      > notified of their actions.
      > --------------
      >
      > Regards,
      >

      > -- ###
      > --
      >
      > J.H. Crawford
      > Carfree Cities
      > mailbox@...
      > Carfree.com

      > carfree_cities@...
      > Group address:

      > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      http://finance.yahoo.com
    • Jym Dyer
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 2, 2002
        > Someone should make printable stickers with the post-it-note
        > adhesive on it. That way they'd come off so easily,
        > stickering victims could just be given the finger.

        =v= In the U.S., Avery makes this sort of thing. It's a bit
        stronger than post-it-note adhesive, but it comes off readily.
        Sold in office supply stores, on sheets that that can be run
        through a printer.

        =v= Rumor has it that the "Parking Clown" flier on this site
        was printed on that stuff:

        http://www.scorcher.org/screed/

        <_Jym_>

        P.S.: I've hinted to Berkeley car-free activists that they
        shouldn't be using the carfree.com URL on their stickers.