[carfree_cities] Example of highway costs through Boston.

  • Ronald Dawson
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 20, 2000
      Hi, I found an interesting URL from the Boston Globe relating to how much
      the BIG DIG/I-93 is costing taxpayers.
      http://www.boston.com/news/daily/15/bigdig_report.htm (click on "Project
      Cost")
      At about $1.5 Billon a mile I sure hope they get their money's worth and
      this still doesn't include a more needed North South rail link.
      http://www.sierraclubmass.org/issues/raillink/raillink.htm
      Ron Dawson
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 21, 2000
        "ronald dawson" <rdadddm-@...> wrote:

        > Hi, I found an interesting URL from the Boston Globe relating to how
        much
        > the BIG DIG/I-93 is costing taxpayers.
        > http://www.boston.com/news/daily/15/bigdig_report.htm (click on
        "Project
        > Cost")
        > At about $1.5 Billon a mile I sure hope they get their money's worth
        and
        > this still doesn't include a more needed North South rail link.

        Yes, this is an especially absurd case. Putting the freeway underground
        will be an enormous help to downtown Boston, but getting rid of
        it entirely might have been even better, and would have cost
        only a fraction of the $55,000 it's costing to provide capacity
        for each daily car expected to use it. Just to carry the interest
        (at 5%), someone who used the highway daily would have to pay
        $2750 per year in fees, or nearly $10/day.