sticker abuse

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 31, 2002
      Hi All,

      I've had three irate e-mails today from people apparently in
      the Berkeley area. Somebody has been pasting stuff on cars that
      had the Carfree.com address on it. If anybody knows anything,
      please advise. This isn't helping anything, and it's giving
      me a real pain to deal with.

      Here is a sample:

      ------------
      It is an interesting irony that you have taken away the option to e mail you via your website because you think e mail spamming should be stopped and yet you and or your representatives have taken the liberty to spam our vehicle with your organization's sticker.

      I empathize with your quest to eliminate cars from our roadways but you have violated my own right to decide whether or not I want to emblazon my vehicle with your sticker.

      My husband has reported this action to the police. I hope that by notifying you of this you will take a moment to consider that your spamming my car is just as vile as people who use the internet without solicitation.

      Good luck with your cause and please stop the car spamming.
      ------------

      I responded, indicating that I didn't know anything about it and
      got this back:

      -----------
      I suppose if you truly didn't know anything about this you would take an interest in trying to halt those who are responsible since they are going about our neighborhood in Berkeley and slathering glue over paper flyers onto cars that state things such as SUBSIDIZED with a bunch of rhetoric about how cars are responsible for taking away taxpayer dollars, or I KILL CHILDREN, etc., etc.

      I apologize for accusing you of something you may not have done but they did list your e mail address on their flyer as a way to "Learn more."

      Maybe you could send out a message to your subscribers letting them know that this kind of action is not tolerated and the police have been notified of their actions.
      --------------

      Regards,

      -- ### --

      J.H. Crawford Carfree Cities
      mailbox@... Carfree.com
    • earthymiller
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 31, 2002
        --- In carfree_cities@y..., "J.H. Crawford" <mailbox@c...> wrote:

        > I've had three irate e-mails today from people apparently in
        > the Berkeley area. Somebody has been pasting stuff on cars that
        > had the Carfree.com address on it.

        Whoever has been doing this might reflect on the following:

        1) This could give Joel's work an undeserved bad reputation, and
        could be pounced upon by people who are ready to besmirch the
        reputation of anyone proposing alternatives to a way of life that is
        profitable to them. Think of how certain elements in the media almost
        unfailingly label all environmentalists as "radical tree huggers" and
        the like.

        2) If you want to change people's minds, remember the ancient fable
        of the north wind and the sun, as true now as it was millennia ago:

        http://www.islandnet.com/~see/weather/arts/aesop.htm

        Chris Miller
      • Ian Finnesey
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 31, 2002
          Someone should make printable stickers with the
          post-it-note adhesive on it. That way they'd come off
          so easily, stickering victims could just be given the
          finger.

          --- "J.H. Crawford" <mailbox@...> wrote:

          > Hi All,
          >
          > I've had three irate e-mails today from people
          > apparently in
          > the Berkeley area. Somebody has been pasting stuff
          > on cars that
          > had the Carfree.com address on it. If anybody knows
          > anything,
          > please advise. This isn't helping anything, and it's
          > giving
          > me a real pain to deal with.
          >
          > Here is a sample:
          >
          > ------------
          > It is an interesting irony that you have taken away
          > the option to e mail you via your website because
          > you think e mail spamming should be stopped and yet
          > you and or your representatives have taken the
          > liberty to spam our vehicle with your organization's
          > sticker.
          >
          > I empathize with your quest to eliminate cars from
          > our roadways but you have violated my own right to
          > decide whether or not I want to emblazon my vehicle
          > with your sticker.
          >
          > My husband has reported this action to the police.
          > I hope that by notifying you of this you will take a
          > moment to consider that your spamming my car is just
          > as vile as people who use the internet without
          > solicitation.
          >
          > Good luck with your cause and please stop the car
          > spamming.
          > ------------
          >
          > I responded, indicating that I didn't know anything
          > about it and
          > got this back:
          >
          > -----------
          > I suppose if you truly didn't know anything about
          > this you would take an interest in trying to halt
          > those who are responsible since they are going about
          > our neighborhood in Berkeley and slathering glue
          > over paper flyers onto cars that state things such
          > as SUBSIDIZED with a bunch of rhetoric about how
          > cars are responsible for taking away taxpayer
          > dollars, or I KILL CHILDREN, etc., etc.
          >
          > I apologize for accusing you of something you may
          > not have done but they did list your e mail address
          > on their flyer as a way to "Learn more."
          >
          > Maybe you could send out a message to your
          > subscribers letting them know that this kind of
          > action is not tolerated and the police have been
          > notified of their actions.
          > --------------
          >
          > Regards,
          >

          > -- ###
          > --
          >
          > J.H. Crawford
          > Carfree Cities
          > mailbox@...
          > Carfree.com

          > carfree_cities@...
          > Group address:

          > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          http://finance.yahoo.com
        • Jym Dyer
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 2, 2002
            > Someone should make printable stickers with the post-it-note
            > adhesive on it. That way they'd come off so easily,
            > stickering victims could just be given the finger.

            =v= In the U.S., Avery makes this sort of thing. It's a bit
            stronger than post-it-note adhesive, but it comes off readily.
            Sold in office supply stores, on sheets that that can be run
            through a printer.

            =v= Rumor has it that the "Parking Clown" flier on this site
            was printed on that stuff:

            http://www.scorcher.org/screed/

            <_Jym_>

            P.S.: I've hinted to Berkeley car-free activists that they
            shouldn't be using the carfree.com URL on their stickers.