Letter sent to Sustainable Energy Institute, Arcata

  • greenshift
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 21, 2002
      Dear XXXXX,

      My dear friends, I believe it is time to begin assembling a national
      coalition for transportation choice. This coalition would be
      comprised of environmental and ecological groups and organizations,
      bicycle advocacy groups, pedestrian advocacy groups, public
      transportation advocacy groups, and all who share our concern with
      automobile domination of our cities and of our national
      transportaion system, including urban and land-use planning groups.

      By establishing a national network/coalition of this kind, we will
      be better poised to take on many tough issues locally, at the state
      level, and at the national policy level. I, personally, believe the
      need is urgent.

      As a tentative offering, I would propose that our motto might be
      something like "Safety equals choice"
      -- as I believe millions of Americans feel trapped in car culture
      because our national, state, and local transportation infrastructure
      has unfortunately been built around the assumption that cars rule.
      The obvious result is that cars do, in fact, rule the road.
      Bicycling, and even walking, don't feel like (and often aren't) safe
      alternatives for the choosing. And local, state, and national
      statistics on bicyclist and pedestrian injuries and deaths hold up
      this sad fact. This must change, and it must become a matter of
      local, state, and national policy that we will not tolerate unsafe
      conditions for bicyclists and pedestrians.

      This issue is urgent because our nation must, for numerous reasons,
      seriously cut back on fossil fuel dependency. There is climate
      change, toxic air, and all manner of serious
      environmental/ecological destruction borne of fossil fuel
      dependency. We have the health of a nation and of the planet in our
      hands, and our mode of transportation plays a key role in the
      changes we must make, asap.

      I'd like to be involved in helping to create this Coalition--which
      should work to publish a policy statement to be widely read and
      used, by all levels of government--, and by all who care about the
      health of our nation and planet.

      Distribute this letter to anyone who might like to participate in
      discussion toward this Coalition. Modify, or borrow from, this
      letter as needed.

      James R. Martin
      BiPed, Santa Fe