Re: Driving only when you WANT to --casualties of automobiles

  • coyote_clown
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 14, 2002
      --- In carfree_cities@y..., "Louis-Luc" <exqmtl@a...> wrote:
      > > Why, it might be ENJOYABLE. It might even be as fun as it looks
      in
      > > the commercials!
      > >
      > I think driving is stressful, because you have to look for everyone
      else
      > using the road around the car.
      >
      > It's more risky than taking a train, plane or boat. I know plane
      and train
      > crashes quickly draw the attention of news writers, but imagine how
      heavy
      > would the paper be if they also relate all accidents related to the
      car.

      > I think there is also a guilt factor, regarding the pollution you
      create,
      > and the space you take up when you move around with a car. Just
      think about
      > doing the same journey in some other efficient way.
      >
      > Louis-Luc

      The news media also don't make much of an issue of the massive amount
      of people in this country who die of cardio-vascular disease, develop
      type II diabetes, or asthma type problems as a result of smog. It
      just isn't as glamorous. But it is related to the lifestyle we've,
      using cars, made normal in America.
    • Ian Finnesey
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 14, 2002
        --- coyote_clown <coyote_clown@...> wrote:

        > You've raised a worthwhile point. It needs to
        > encompass things like
        > shopping only when you want to, visiting only when
        > you want to,
        > running errands only when you want to etc. The
        > convenience and
        > modern paradigms of automobile utility have allowed
        > us to not put
        > much planning into how we shop and generally go
        > about things. Many
        > of my friends now have cellular phones. Now they
        > put much less
        > forethought learning directions to drive places.

        In all but the most rural areas, the alternative
        needn't be not going anywhere farther than a mile or
        three without a lot of forethought.

        Fuck, we're pissing into the wind. How many people
        get beyond the benefits a car brings to the things it
        costs them when they're thinking about it?

        HotJobs - Search Thousands of New Jobs
        http://www.hotjobs.com
      • mdh6214
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 15, 2002
          Something else we need to look at is that most Americans tend
          to want to drive everywhere, no matter what the cost and
          congestion. People are constantly demanding lower gas prices
          and wider roads. In the suburban neighborhood my parents live
          in, residents tried [unsuccessfully] to stop the city from putting in
          a sidewalk on one side of the steet. Coincidentially, that
          sidewalk is now useless, since it is a de facto parking lane and,
          naturally, the police will not enforce such a thing.

          If you proposed developing a carfree area or closing/cutting off
          any streets, it would be very unpopular with most people who live
          nearby.

          I favor the right of anyone to live how they want, as long as they
          pay for it themself. I think that developers should be allowed to
          build car-only suburban developments--and pay ALL costs of it.
          Maybe that would fix Americans--when they finally have to bear
          the cost of what they are doing.

          Finally, we need some way to let Americans know [drill into their
          think skulls] how much car use actually costs. A lot of us seem to
          think that road money grows on trees...
        • Louis-Luc
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 15, 2002
            > The news media also don't make much of an issue of the massive amount
            > of people in this country who die of cardio-vascular disease, develop
            > type II diabetes, or asthma type problems as a result of smog. It
            > just isn't as glamorous. But it is related to the lifestyle we've,
            > using cars, made normal in America.

            I'm proud to be not "normal", because that sense of "normal" is wrong, and
            is corrupting the society. The problem is that it's difficult to find more
            people sharing my opinion outside this e-group.

            Now with cell phones, drivers become even too lazy to park the car and dare
            walking to a public phone. So cardio-vascular diseases may be created by a
            lack of exercise. Combine this with how well Americans eat, and you'll soon
            see some Americans less tall than wide.

            Imagine 2 centuries (or more) ago:
            People had to walk 2 miles daily, at best on a sandroad, to pick up mail at
            the post-office, also to drop by the general store, to visit a friend. They
            had to cut, split and pile logs to stay warm in the winter, use snowshoes or
            skis to move in the snow. Their work, whether on the farm, in the woods, or
            maid in the house, involved much physical efforts. The average longevity was
            shorter than today, because medical science was not as developed as today.
            Imagine the medical science was as good as today, and the average longevity
            would be at least as high as today.

            Louis-Luc