Re: Driving only when you WANT to

  • coyote_clown
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 14, 2002
      --- In carfree_cities@y..., "agnostic_demiurge" <andy_christ@y...>
      wrote:
      > Forgetting everything else for a moment...how much more pleasant
      would
      > driving be if people only drove when they WANT to, or when they have
      > to move heavy objects? Instead of being obligated to do so every
      day?

      > Why, it might be ENJOYABLE. It might even be as fun as it looks in
      > the commercials!

      You've raised a worthwhile point. It needs to encompass things like
      shopping only when you want to, visiting only when you want to,
      running errands only when you want to etc. The convenience and
      modern paradigms of automobile utility have allowed us to not put
      much planning into how we shop and generally go about things. Many
      of my friends now have cellular phones. Now they put much less
      forethought learning directions to drive places.
    • coyote_clown
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 14, 2002
        --- In carfree_cities@y..., "Louis-Luc" <exqmtl@a...> wrote:
        > > Why, it might be ENJOYABLE. It might even be as fun as it looks
        in
        > > the commercials!
        > >
        > I think driving is stressful, because you have to look for everyone
        else
        > using the road around the car.
        >
        > It's more risky than taking a train, plane or boat. I know plane
        and train
        > crashes quickly draw the attention of news writers, but imagine how
        heavy
        > would the paper be if they also relate all accidents related to the
        car.

        > I think there is also a guilt factor, regarding the pollution you
        create,
        > and the space you take up when you move around with a car. Just
        think about
        > doing the same journey in some other efficient way.
        >
        > Louis-Luc

        The news media also don't make much of an issue of the massive amount
        of people in this country who die of cardio-vascular disease, develop
        type II diabetes, or asthma type problems as a result of smog. It
        just isn't as glamorous. But it is related to the lifestyle we've,
        using cars, made normal in America.
      • Ian Finnesey
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 14, 2002
          --- coyote_clown <coyote_clown@...> wrote:

          > You've raised a worthwhile point. It needs to
          > encompass things like
          > shopping only when you want to, visiting only when
          > you want to,
          > running errands only when you want to etc. The
          > convenience and
          > modern paradigms of automobile utility have allowed
          > us to not put
          > much planning into how we shop and generally go
          > about things. Many
          > of my friends now have cellular phones. Now they
          > put much less
          > forethought learning directions to drive places.

          In all but the most rural areas, the alternative
          needn't be not going anywhere farther than a mile or
          three without a lot of forethought.

          Fuck, we're pissing into the wind. How many people
          get beyond the benefits a car brings to the things it
          costs them when they're thinking about it?

          HotJobs - Search Thousands of New Jobs
          http://www.hotjobs.com
        • mdh6214
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 15, 2002
            Something else we need to look at is that most Americans tend
            to want to drive everywhere, no matter what the cost and
            congestion. People are constantly demanding lower gas prices
            and wider roads. In the suburban neighborhood my parents live
            in, residents tried [unsuccessfully] to stop the city from putting in
            a sidewalk on one side of the steet. Coincidentially, that
            sidewalk is now useless, since it is a de facto parking lane and,
            naturally, the police will not enforce such a thing.

            If you proposed developing a carfree area or closing/cutting off
            any streets, it would be very unpopular with most people who live
            nearby.

            I favor the right of anyone to live how they want, as long as they
            pay for it themself. I think that developers should be allowed to
            build car-only suburban developments--and pay ALL costs of it.
            Maybe that would fix Americans--when they finally have to bear
            the cost of what they are doing.

            Finally, we need some way to let Americans know [drill into their
            think skulls] how much car use actually costs. A lot of us seem to
            think that road money grows on trees...
          • Louis-Luc
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 15, 2002
              > The news media also don't make much of an issue of the massive amount
              > of people in this country who die of cardio-vascular disease, develop
              > type II diabetes, or asthma type problems as a result of smog. It
              > just isn't as glamorous. But it is related to the lifestyle we've,
              > using cars, made normal in America.

              I'm proud to be not "normal", because that sense of "normal" is wrong, and
              is corrupting the society. The problem is that it's difficult to find more
              people sharing my opinion outside this e-group.

              Now with cell phones, drivers become even too lazy to park the car and dare
              walking to a public phone. So cardio-vascular diseases may be created by a
              lack of exercise. Combine this with how well Americans eat, and you'll soon
              see some Americans less tall than wide.

              Imagine 2 centuries (or more) ago:
              People had to walk 2 miles daily, at best on a sandroad, to pick up mail at
              the post-office, also to drop by the general store, to visit a friend. They
              had to cut, split and pile logs to stay warm in the winter, use snowshoes or
              skis to move in the snow. Their work, whether on the farm, in the woods, or
              maid in the house, involved much physical efforts. The average longevity was
              shorter than today, because medical science was not as developed as today.
              Imagine the medical science was as good as today, and the average longevity
              would be at least as high as today.

              Louis-Luc