Driving only when you WANT to

  • agnostic_demiurge
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 13, 2002
      Forgetting everything else for a moment...how much more pleasant would
      driving be if people only drove when they WANT to, or when they have
      to move heavy objects? Instead of being obligated to do so every day?

      Why, it might be ENJOYABLE. It might even be as fun as it looks in
      the commercials!
    • dubluth
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 13, 2002
        What is wanting to drive and when might this occur?

        perhaps I've driven enough to not ever experience just wanting to. I also can't forget everything else. It may be easy enough to forget the environmental consequenses, but unsafe driving would result from forgeting that constant vigilance is the way to avoid most crashes.

        Maybe car ads should be a little more honest and depict their drivers experiencing their share of crashes, traffic jams, filling stops, etc. It may not be as fun, but hey.

        --- In carfree_cities@y..., "agnostic_demiurge" <andy_christ@y...> wrote:
        > Forgetting everything else for a moment...how much more pleasant would
        > driving be if people only drove when they WANT to, or when they have
        > to move heavy objects? Instead of being obligated to do so every day?
        >
        > Why, it might be ENJOYABLE. It might even be as fun as it looks in
        > the commercials!
      • Ian Finnesey
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 13, 2002
          --- dubluth <dubluth@...> wrote:
          > What is wanting to drive and when might this occur?
          >
          > perhaps I've driven enough to not ever experience
          > just wanting to. I also can't forget everything
          > else. It may be easy enough to forget the
          > environmental consequenses, but unsafe driving would
          > result from forgeting that constant vigilance is the
          > way to avoid most crashes.

          I fail to see the connection between this and people
          driving when they actually want to or have no
          reasonable alternative even in the presence of public
          transit, as opposed to the way things are now.

          And if you've never driven on christmas morning, I can
          understand you not understanding how driving could
          possibly be enjoyable. So long as you can stay on the
          road, you can do ANYTHING YOU WANT.

          > Maybe car ads should be a little more honest and
          > depict their drivers experiencing their share of
          > crashes, traffic jams, filling stops, etc. It may
          > not be as fun, but hey.

          With fewer on the road at any given time, these would
          be non-issues. (Hell, if it weren't for the fact that
          most people stop and start work at roughly the same
          time of day, these problems would be much smaller)

          HotJobs - Search Thousands of New Jobs
          http://www.hotjobs.com
        • Louis-Luc
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 13, 2002
            > Why, it might be ENJOYABLE. It might even be as fun as it looks in
            > the commercials!

            I think driving is stressful, because you have to look for everyone else
            using the road around the car.

            It's more risky than taking a train, plane or boat. I know plane and train
            crashes quickly draw the attention of news writers, but imagine how heavy
            would the paper be if they also relate all accidents related to the car.

            I think there is also a guilt factor, regarding the pollution you create,
            and the space you take up when you move around with a car. Just think about
            doing the same journey in some other efficient way.

            Louis-Luc
          • coyote_clown
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 14, 2002
              wrote:
              > Forgetting everything else for a moment...how much more pleasant
              would
              > driving be if people only drove when they WANT to, or when they have
              > to move heavy objects? Instead of being obligated to do so every
              day?

              > Why, it might be ENJOYABLE. It might even be as fun as it looks in
              > the commercials!

              You've raised a worthwhile point. It needs to encompass things like
              shopping only when you want to, visiting only when you want to,
              running errands only when you want to etc. The convenience and
              modern paradigms of automobile utility have allowed us to not put
              much planning into how we shop and generally go about things. Many
              of my friends now have cellular phones. Now they put much less
              forethought learning directions to drive places.
            • coyote_clown
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 14, 2002
                --- In carfree_cities@y..., "Louis-Luc" <exqmtl@a...> wrote:
                > > Why, it might be ENJOYABLE. It might even be as fun as it looks
                in
                > > the commercials!
                > >
                > I think driving is stressful, because you have to look for everyone
                else
                > using the road around the car.
                >
                > It's more risky than taking a train, plane or boat. I know plane
                and train
                > crashes quickly draw the attention of news writers, but imagine how
                heavy
                > would the paper be if they also relate all accidents related to the
                car.

                > I think there is also a guilt factor, regarding the pollution you
                create,
                > and the space you take up when you move around with a car. Just
                think about
                > doing the same journey in some other efficient way.
                >
                > Louis-Luc

                The news media also don't make much of an issue of the massive amount
                of people in this country who die of cardio-vascular disease, develop
                type II diabetes, or asthma type problems as a result of smog. It
                just isn't as glamorous. But it is related to the lifestyle we've,
                using cars, made normal in America.
              • Ian Finnesey
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 14, 2002
                  --- coyote_clown <coyote_clown@...> wrote:

                  > You've raised a worthwhile point. It needs to
                  > encompass things like
                  > shopping only when you want to, visiting only when
                  > you want to,
                  > running errands only when you want to etc. The
                  > convenience and
                  > modern paradigms of automobile utility have allowed
                  > us to not put
                  > much planning into how we shop and generally go
                  > about things. Many
                  > of my friends now have cellular phones. Now they
                  > put much less
                  > forethought learning directions to drive places.

                  In all but the most rural areas, the alternative
                  needn't be not going anywhere farther than a mile or
                  three without a lot of forethought.

                  Fuck, we're pissing into the wind. How many people
                  get beyond the benefits a car brings to the things it
                  costs them when they're thinking about it?

                  HotJobs - Search Thousands of New Jobs
                  http://www.hotjobs.com
                • mdh6214
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 15, 2002
                    Something else we need to look at is that most Americans tend
                    to want to drive everywhere, no matter what the cost and
                    congestion. People are constantly demanding lower gas prices
                    and wider roads. In the suburban neighborhood my parents live
                    in, residents tried [unsuccessfully] to stop the city from putting in
                    a sidewalk on one side of the steet. Coincidentially, that
                    sidewalk is now useless, since it is a de facto parking lane and,
                    naturally, the police will not enforce such a thing.

                    If you proposed developing a carfree area or closing/cutting off
                    any streets, it would be very unpopular with most people who live
                    nearby.

                    I favor the right of anyone to live how they want, as long as they
                    pay for it themself. I think that developers should be allowed to
                    build car-only suburban developments--and pay ALL costs of it.
                    Maybe that would fix Americans--when they finally have to bear
                    the cost of what they are doing.

                    Finally, we need some way to let Americans know [drill into their
                    think skulls] how much car use actually costs. A lot of us seem to
                    think that road money grows on trees...
                  • Louis-Luc
                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 15, 2002
                      > The news media also don't make much of an issue of the massive amount
                      > of people in this country who die of cardio-vascular disease, develop
                      > type II diabetes, or asthma type problems as a result of smog. It
                      > just isn't as glamorous. But it is related to the lifestyle we've,
                      > using cars, made normal in America.

                      I'm proud to be not "normal", because that sense of "normal" is wrong, and
                      is corrupting the society. The problem is that it's difficult to find more
                      people sharing my opinion outside this e-group.

                      Now with cell phones, drivers become even too lazy to park the car and dare
                      walking to a public phone. So cardio-vascular diseases may be created by a
                      lack of exercise. Combine this with how well Americans eat, and you'll soon
                      see some Americans less tall than wide.

                      Imagine 2 centuries (or more) ago:
                      People had to walk 2 miles daily, at best on a sandroad, to pick up mail at
                      the post-office, also to drop by the general store, to visit a friend. They
                      had to cut, split and pile logs to stay warm in the winter, use snowshoes or
                      skis to move in the snow. Their work, whether on the farm, in the woods, or
                      maid in the house, involved much physical efforts. The average longevity was
                      shorter than today, because medical science was not as developed as today.
                      Imagine the medical science was as good as today, and the average longevity
                      would be at least as high as today.

                      Louis-Luc