RE: [carfree_cities] Re: Turns on red and the effect

    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 11, 2002
      Louis-Luc said:

      >How about putting some bumps a 45 degree angles at each street corners to
      >force drivers to stop before turning? Speeding turns are eliminated, but
      >that way we could afford permitting right turns on red light. No matter the
      >color of the light, all turning cars must stop completely, wait that no one
      >is using or about to enter the crosswalk in front or to the right (depending
      >on the color of the light), before slowly turning right.

      Traffic engineers have finally figured out that all you have to
      do is to go back to the old, sharp corner radius, which was
      universal until fairly recently. This forces cars to slow to
      a crawl when cornering.

      Further, on the subject of right-turn-on-red, one of the increased risks
      is that the driver turning right on red has to look left for cars coming
      at him (the serious risk for the driver) while also being supposed to
      make sure that there isn't anyone crossing the street (on the right).
      It is simply not possible to keep a good eye on both right and left
      at the same time. It is for this reason that right turn on red will
      always be a risk for pedestrians and should be eliminated. And since the
      DRIVER's risk is from the left, it's the pedestrian who only gets a quick
      glance (if that).

      Regards,

      -- ### --

      J.H. Crawford Carfree Cities
      mailbox@... Carfree.com
    • C M Bruce
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 12, 2002
        Louis-Luc wrote:
        >Talking about right turns on green, I've had to bang a car at several
        >occasions with my stick to let the driver know he's wrong doing that.

        I would not recommend doing that in the U.S. If you damage the car, the courts will make you pay for it. Even if you damage a car that frightens you by almost running you down. We know from sad experience.

        As long as a car does not actually injure a pedestrian, drivers are allowed to do anything they wish. Unfortunately, it appears that the rules are not enforced and apparently will not be enforced in the U.S.

        Carol

        Win a First Class Trip to Hawaii to Vacation Elvis Style!
        http://r.lycos.com/r/sagel_mail/http://www.elvis.lycos.com/sweepstakes
      • Erik Rauch
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 18, 2002
          An interesting statistic from the US Department of Transportation:

          "2000 vehicles per hour sound twice as loud as 200 vehicles per hour".

          In other words, if you start with an empty road, the first cars that you
          "add" to this road contribute much more to perceived noise than additional
          cars. Or, alternately, the last cars that you would remove from a road are
          responsible for a disproportionate share of the noise reduction.

          And "one truck sounds as loud as 28 cars"!

          http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/environment/htnoise.htm