Vacation to East Coast beaches.

  • Louis-Luc
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 7, 2002
      Hello everyone,
      I've been silent for the past weeks, because I've gone on a vacation trip to
      the Eastern USA states, mainly to beach places. Let me relate you some
      interesting anecdotes.

      I went there with 2 friends, by car. I admit it was the easiest way to go
      with them, because they rely on the car. For highways, it's OK, through
      Quebec, then ME, NY and NH. When getting to NY and NJ, tolls are frequent,
      asking from 35cents to as much as $6.

      We arrived in Wildwood, NJ. Nice beach. We found a hotel directly connected
      to the beach; meaning on a street that ends on the beach stairway. I'm glad
      to find many other hotels can also provide a carfree access to the beach.
      There is a nice boardwalk around 25 minutes away from my hotel. There are
      all kinds of attractions. The only thing is a 2-way electric train system
      that runs *through* the boardwalk, that constantly has to slow down and a
      computer voice says "Watch the train car please!". So this train is
      constantly in conflict with pedestrian traffic. A suggestion would be to cut
      car lanes from the street to the north, run the train there, and have signs
      on each boardwalk entrance inviting people to walk north to take a ride.
      Anyways, I much prefer a train like it is now, than motor cars. My friends
      chose to walk 25 minutes instead of driving, because parking costs a bundle.
      They got tired quicker though, and we had to head back home. We walked
      through the streets, but it's even better to get from hotel to boardwalk by
      the beach (carfree walk all the way through).

      Then we drove back north, passing through CT state on I-95. The only things
      at halts were McDonald's and Mobil gas stations. We ended up in Wells, ME,
      in a motel located at 15 minutes by car from Ogunquit beach. So we drove to
      the beach many times. Ogunquit is nice near the beach, and pedestrians are
      king. Parking is expensive though. There is a hotel located on the beach. I
      don't know why the call it a "Motor Inn" since we go there mainly for the
      direct access to the beach. So it's also possible to plan a carfree vacation
      in Ogunquit. Last Saturday, we drove to the beach to find out there is no
      parking available. We were all three next to the beach, but the problem was
      entirely to find where to leave the car. Maybe there was parking farther,
      but my friend didn't feel like trying to find one, because it was too far on
      foot afterwards, so I asked if they mind leaving me at the beach, and come
      back a few hours later to park the car and join me for the rest of the day.

      Finally, we stopped at a McDonald's on the way back to Montreal. He was
      surprised this one didn't have a "drive through" ordering facility. I
      suggested we walk in to order.

      My $US .02

      Louis-Luc