"Neighborhood Integrity Index" (was: .. less space in a good neighborhood)

  • turpin
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 7, 2002
      --- In carfree_cities@y..., Chris Bradshaw <chris@t...> wrote:
      > I have often thought of developing a "neighbourhood
      > integrity" index to find the most self-sufficient
      > neighbourhood in North America.

      Hopefully, we would not all move to that one. But
      there IS a tremendous difference between neighborhoods,
      in the same city. Even cities that suffer sprawl and
      other problems sometimes contain neighborhoods that are
      quite convenient. And the identity of these
      neighborhoods now seems almost a secret. Sometimes not
      even the local real estate agents know and appreciate
      the difference -- they just remark in surprise that
      "those small houses sure maintain their value."

      I think a catalog of good neighborhoods would attract
      a lot of attention to the qualities we're discussing,
      and might even make a successful book. I'm not sure
      how to put it together. I don't think it is enough to
      develop a numerical metric and then score neighborhoods,
      even if one could get the raw data for the score. How
      many restaurants, banks, groceries, bars, video stores,
      etc. are within a mile of my house? So many, it would
      take quite some work to count. More important than
      their distance "as the crow flies" is that they are on
      good walking routes. Now: Where do you get *that* kind
      of data?

      It seems to me that such a catalog almost has to be
      compiled by someone who investigates such things in a
      more direct fashion than running city directories
      through a computer program, though that might be a
      good start.