Detour Sought for Roadblock Over Budget

  • rickrise@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 5, 2002
      From: Richard

      "Cars are not only necessities for Californians because of the size of the state and because of our
      transportation system, but they're also a significant part of our culture. This is the car capital of the
      world."

      --------------------
      Detour Sought for Roadblock Over Budget

      Politics: Democrats and Republicans have battled to an impasse over Davis' call to hike car license fees. Alternatives appear equally contentious.

      By JULIE TAMAKI
      TIMES STAFF WRITER

      August 5 2002

      SACRAMENTO -- In proposing to more than double the vehicle license fees paid by California motorists, Gov. Gray Davis is asking Republican lawmakers to roll back a tax cut that they fought hard to win, and thus hold dear.

      The complete article can be viewed at:
      http://www.latimes.com/la-me-impasse5aug05.story

      Visit Latimes.com at http://www.latimes.com