Fw: trottoir roulant

  • S Baddeley
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 11, 2002
      From: "John Richfield" <john_richfield@...>
      To: <s.j.baddeley@...>
      Sent: Wednesday, July 10, 2002 5:26 PM
      Subject: trottoir roulant

      Hi Simon,

      I thought you would like this idea which I have seen in a piece about the
      new metro in Le mans. I was pleasantly surprised to see that the official
      concept for how the metro works in the city is as a 'trottoir roulant'. The
      trams have huge windows and passengers are enabled to 'window shop' as they
      glide down the boulevards. Every effort is made to connect the interior of
      the tram with the street. Blazingly obvious really but very different from
      the way we are doing things here - small(er) windows, inward looking seats,
      use of railway alignments and back streets and the emphasis on overall
      journey speed - not much emphasis on the journey experience in terms of
      connecting with the street. Is there an element of the British tendency to
      treat public transport as inferior and therefore those on board would not or
      should not be seen / seeing?

      The fact that this concept is official policy must concentrate minds on
      aspects of the interaction between public, semi-public and semi-private
      space and prompt some very innovative solutions. How very civilised!

      Cheers