Hello Everyone! Trains Types and Costs?

  • Christian David
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 10, 2002
      My name is Chris, Im new to this group. Ill cut to the chase because we all
      know what we have here, Our accomplishments will be the foundation upon
      which a beutifull culture will be born. I think the first thing to know is
      how much the train is going to cost. For standards sake electric, the
      diffrent kinds possible hybrid if nessesary. Now how do we go about knowing
      how much it cost per mile for the track, if elevated?$ Is there's a cheap
      electric train for people with little resouses to get started? Next, How
      much do they cost to run.? The diffrent kinds. What level of population do
      you need to support the cheapest electric train, 5X per day (lets say)? If
      anyone knows this information or where to find it or knows anything about
      this, Please Reply.

    • dubluth
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 11, 2002
        Hello Chris,

        A number of things go into a rail system which will affect its price.

        One obvious component is the rail vehicle, or rolling stock. Rail vehicle manufacturers don't publicise prices. It seems instead that they respond to requests for bids from public agencies. Public records of what transit agencies puchase and what they payed or intend to pay exist.

        The expense for laying rail will depend on local market conditions. The prices of right away will vary with the value of land over which the line passes. The labor market is one factor influencing the lines construction costs.

        Engineering studies and the costs of political delays in implementing a project also factor into costs.

        Although I've read a claim that suggests otherwise, rail transit operating costs are considerably less than bus transit and are a relatively small part of a rail transit systems expense. An advantage of a rail system should be that it is more economical to have very frequent service.

        I did a little search and came up with some links that may provide some background and points for further investigation. You might also conduct a more effective search if no one has anything more useful to offer.

        http://www.ntpshow.com/shows/apta2002/graphics/transit.pdf
        http://www.railjournal.com/2001-04/global.html
        http://www.ntdprogram.com/NTD/NTST.nsf/NTST/1996/$File/Ntst96.pdf

        The last one is very long, and like the first, requires adobe acrobat reader. It appears to have data about what is spent nationally on various transit modes. I don't know how useful that is to you. As I said, there will be a great deal of variation depending on the site and its state of transportation development. Political attitudes also vary.

        Also look at
        http:/www.vtpi.org
        for good transportation policy analysis and possibly more data you could find enlightening.

        The major hurdle to overcome in building a transit system will be political. The less it costs, the lower that hurdle may be. Mobility advocates will prefer a system that yields the best value for the money, and that will probably not be the cheapest. The cheapest may be worth building if that is what it takes to get over that hurdle. However, the quality of a low cost system may inspire less commitment to future mass transit development.

        Bill Carr