Re: Auto-Free Zones,

  • greenshift
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 9 1:40 PM
      > I used to live in Santa Fe. As I recall, the plaza was closed to
      auto
      > traffic in the summer. It was the only practical thing to do,
      given
      > the volume of tourists clogging the streets. I always wondered why
      > they just closed off the plaza and not some of the surrounding
      streets
      > which were also quite busy.
      >
      > Tom

      ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

      Tom, In the five years that I've lived in Santa Fe the situation has
      been one in which only one or two of the four streets running
      through the Plaza would be closed during the height of tourism in
      the summer. The extreme density of pedestrians (and cars!) in the
      Plaza, presently, leads many of us to believe that the mix is
      entirely unworkable, and the recent pedestrian death (she was hit in
      a crosswalk!) is pushing us into action to close the entire plaza
      permanently.

      Unfortunately, Santa Feans seem to be rather disengaged when it
      comes to activism. Otherwise, I'd say a solid majority of locals
      would like to close the plaza to cars. Also unfortunate is that the
      City Council and Mayor are apparently unaware of the extent of the
      sentiment toward closing the Plaza. Even though my informal polling
      has indicated a majority opinion for closure, only a few show up to
      public meetings. This indicates a tragic disconnect, I believe,
      between the city's citizens and the governing body. This MUST be
      remedied, but how?! Santa Feans don't tend to march in the streets
      or engage in 'civil disobedience', public demonstrations or
      protests, and the like.

      I would be extremely appreciative if several of us could work
      together to compose a well-researched and well-written statement to
      the city government and the downtown merchants -- of any city which
      is facing this hurdle. Such a resource could be made available on
      the internet for all who need it in times like ours.

      The Plaza closure issue has been a perennial one here in Santa Fe
      (for a decade, at least), and the city cannot pretend, at this
      point, that it needs to continue with 'studies', and more 'studies',
      and yet more 'studies'--only so that the issue can be forgotten
      about! It's time for us to act, and I'm desperately needing some
      thoughtful and knowledgable assistance.

      Has anyone here experience working with these issues? Help! Now's
      the time because the issue has been in the local news quite a bit --
      yet still NOT ENOUGH LOCALS ARE SHOWING UP AT MEETINGS AND VOICING
      THEIR OPINIONS. I'm sure that the present City Council would close
      the Plaza almost immediately if they only knew that a majority of
      locals favor this move.
    • Tom Tromey
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 9 2:32 PM

        >> This indicates a tragic disconnect, I believe, between the city's
        >> citizens and the governing body. This MUST be remedied, but how?!

        In this case, one approach would be to convince the business owners
        that street closure will be in their interests. They may have more
        incentive to lobby the mayor and council than the average, um, "man in
        the street" :-)

        Here in Boulder the Pearl Street Mall has been a raging success. It
        is fair to say it is the centerpiece of the town. I don't know much
        about the history of it, though. I read on the web that it was closed
        to cars in 1976, well before my time here.

        Anyway, maybe it would be a good model. Someone, somewhere, will have
        more information on how it was created and the ensuing benefits.

        Tom
      • Tom Tromey
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 9 2:34 PM

          >> Good Luck. It would'nt work. I live in Calgary Canada and in
          >> the 60's a walking mall was built on 8th Ave downtown that
          >> stretched for two blocks.

          Jym> =v= One failed implementation doesn't mean the concept is bad.
          Jym> Indeed, there have been a number of failed implementations,

          Definitely. Recently the walking mall in Eugene, Oregon was reopened
          to traffic (in fact I saw a note about it on this list). My friends
          who have lived in Eugene (I've never been) tell me that it was
          dysfunctional and poorly planned.

          Tom
        • Louis-Luc
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 9 8:53 PM
            I live in Montreal suburb.
            I'm convinced all city cores need carfree places.
            Next week-end, Sainte-Catherine street is going to
            be carfree between 9:00 and 17:00 both Saturday and
            Sunday for the yearly "Vente Trottoir".

            I've seen photos of Ste-Catherine from the mid 70s, and we used to see many
            more cars than pedestrians. Today, sidewalks are clogged with pedestrians,
            cyclist are king in the middle of the street, and I wonder why cars are
            still allowed to drive there. They seem to be wasting time there as parking
            is always difficult. All drivers I've met don't like to go downtown on
            Ste-Catherine because they say to me parking is too difficult. The only ones
            who accepted to go there wanted to zip through without stopping: useless.
            The same situation is true for more downtown streets. The car is more
            deteriorating the inner suburb: the ring surrounding downtown. They
            virtually clog all arteries. When they're not jammed, they drive too fast
            and stress everyone who want to enjoy life, as they draw the attention.

            Louis-Luc

          • cndpandit
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 15 10:13 PM
              --- In carfree_cities@y..., "greenshift" <greenshift@y...> wrote:

              > ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
              >
              > Tom, In the five years that I've lived in Santa Fe the situation
              has
              > been one in which only one or two of the four streets running
              > through the Plaza would be closed during the height of tourism in
              > the summer. The extreme density of pedestrians (and cars!) in the
              > Plaza, presently, leads many of us to believe that the mix is
              > entirely unworkable, and the recent pedestrian death (she was hit
              in
              > a crosswalk!) is pushing us into action to close the entire plaza
              > permanently.
              >
              > Unfortunately, Santa Feans seem to be rather disengaged when it
              > comes to activism. Otherwise, I'd say a solid majority of locals
              > would like to close the plaza to cars. Also unfortunate is that the
              > City Council and Mayor are apparently unaware of the extent of the
              > sentiment toward closing the Plaza. Even though my informal polling
              > has indicated a majority opinion for closure, only a few show up to
              > public meetings. This indicates a tragic disconnect, I believe,
              > between the city's citizens and the governing body. This MUST be
              > remedied, but how?! Santa Feans don't tend to march in the streets
              > or engage in 'civil disobedience', public demonstrations or
              > protests, and the like.
              >
              > I would be extremely appreciative if several of us could work
              > together to compose a well-researched and well-written statement to
              > the city government and the downtown merchants -- of any city which
              > is facing this hurdle. Such a resource could be made available on
              > the internet for all who need it in times like ours.
              >
              > The Plaza closure issue has been a perennial one here in Santa Fe
              > (for a decade, at least), and the city cannot pretend, at this
              > point, that it needs to continue with 'studies', and
              more 'studies',
              > and yet more 'studies'--only so that the issue can be forgotten
              > about! It's time for us to act, and I'm desperately needing some
              > thoughtful and knowledgable assistance.
              >
              > Has anyone here experience working with these issues? Help! Now's
              > the time because the issue has been in the local news quite a bit --

              > yet still NOT ENOUGH LOCALS ARE SHOWING UP AT MEETINGS AND VOICING
              > THEIR OPINIONS. I'm sure that the present City Council would close
              > the Plaza almost immediately if they only knew that a majority of
              > locals favor this move.

              Hello Chris here. I heard santa fe was a little paradise. First off
              Parking is the main issue here. Is there adequate parking around the
              plaza? If not what kind of Public Transport system does your city
              have? How diverse and rich is the commercial environment of the
              plaza? Is tourism the main industry in santa fe? As stated Im sure
              its a very large industry, where are the main hotels situated,
              compared to the plaza? Id love to do my part to put together the
              presentation.
            • greenshift
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 16 7:27 PM
                > Hello Chris here. I heard santa fe was a little paradise. First
                off
                > Parking is the main issue here. Is there adequate parking around
                the
                > plaza?

                Whether or not there is adequate parking around the Plaza is not a
                simple question, in my mind. The City has been working on a
                perceived parking problem, proposing a multi-million dollar multi-
                tiered parking facility/building. But no one is allowed to park in
                the Plaza, anyway. So anyone shopping in the Plaza must walk from
                parking, regardless.

                If not what kind of Public Transport system does your city
                > have?

                We have a bus system. It is limited, but can grow.

                How diverse and rich is the commercial environment of the
                > plaza?

                Fairly diverse for a tourism-oriented commercial environment.

                Is tourism the main industry in santa fe?

                Yes.

                > Where are the main hotels situated,
                > compared to the plaza?

                Several large hotels are a very short walk from the Plaza. These are
                the largest hotels in the city. Cabs are also easily available.

                Id love to do my part to put together the
                > presentation.

                Thanks so much, Chris! Where do we go from here?
              • cndpandit
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 16 10:02 PM
                  Judging by what I can deduce with the little I know, there is quite a
                  bit of work to do here. I don't think you should go to the mayor
                  right away. There are two options people or business. Either prove
                  public majority support or, Get the hotels and other tourism business
                  to make it happen.
                  To prove public opinion you can probably get a petition sighed by a
                  few thousand people say, I'm assuming your city is 1-300 000 people.
                  Or a completely un bias survey completed by a couple thousand people
                  would do well also.
                  To get business in on it you have to do some selling.

                  Please feel free to add to this list:

                  Pros

                  Added Open Space: can be converted to park, outdoor market, stress
                  free walk way, relaxation, terraces, street parties, adds touristic
                  appeal due to uniqueness, higher concentrations of people can gather
                  and feel at ease,

                  Less dangerous: point made

                  Cleaner Air: ahhhh

                  Cons (Create sollutions for this specific projects case)

                  Disrupts flow of personal vehicles; citizens must be able to get from
                  point A to point B

                  Disrupts flow of goods; commercial needs goods to sell, Freight must
                  move in and out.

                  Link for map;
                  http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?zoom=9&mapdata=hP0urGiog%
                  2bcn2l7RvFUyUogA4Ufy3sUEuToZ4cW4ejqLZiua%2fOieK1dUPwkzLNzI%
                  2f572m9uGlFwUDNhNlCa9vaed0dOGQQZFrYWoNw0N5aGk1brMAo52l7vMwXbIkgtbgbct3
                  I7UzM%
                  2f9xgA9GEt0gTNuczBVbS1fgyRdeepdFDz5cZaK5HoHYJ82nabC2t1imYWmmiqImK8tkop
                  oZX7vCPtYlT5nYRlPpaxYB4EHZd0ozIVkq%2buOsHVT%2bVsLJlFWc4a%2b1%
                  2fsnLrISzzXGE%2fV8ehxTfqQxdh9sRPpXWKVXSdA%3d
                • cndpandit
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 16 11:08 PM
                    Just to add a few more things. I completely agree with Tim Prescots
                    Post; http://groups.yahoo.com/group/carfree_cities/message/4909

                    Perhaps all thats needed is a couple speed bumps if danger is the
                    issue. That Im sure is very easy to make happen. If its an issue of
                    creating quality urban space perhaps a smart simple project idea
                    presented to local buisness will accomplish that. Either or where are
                    your thoughts?

                    PS sorry about that boched link on previous post.