Re: [carfree_cities] Re: New subUrbanism

  • Chris Bradshaw
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 7, 2002
      If we want to overcome the problem of developers misusing a concept in
      their new-project blurbs, we should apply ourselves to the development
      of a
      clear, measurable definition of the ideal living environment.

      Ideally, it would be accompanied by a way to measure the degree of
      conformity a particular project achieved.

      It could measure one or more of the following (perhaps resorting to
      models to _predict_ performance before the project is built):

      - energy use per adult and per child resident, both for living space and
      for transportation

      - air pollution emitted per adult/child

      - fitness level of each resident (related to the amount of physcial
      exertion they will get in everyday activities).

      - street social contacts to be experienced by the average household

      - expected morbidity levels resulting from crime and from collisions for
      each household

      - amount of property taxes and total transportation expenses per
      adult/child.

      The computer model would allow its owner to run a particular subdivision
      design against the standards, to give it a rating that would be used by
      consumers (and perhaps town councils) in making decisions. Sort of a
      standards laboratory with an ISO number.

      Chris Bradshaw
      Ottawa
    • mountainsport500
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 14, 2002
        Chris, You Wrote:

        If we want to overcome the problem of developers misusing a concept in
        their new-project blurbs, we should apply ourselves to the development
        of a
        clear, measurable definition of the ideal living environment.

        Ideally, it would be accompanied by a way to measure the degree of
        conformity a particular project achieved. .................

        The computer model would allow its owner to run a particular
        subdivision
        design against the standards, to give it a rating that would be used
        by
        consumers (and perhaps town councils) in making decisions. Sort of a
        standards laboratory with an ISO number.

        I really like this idea and have been thinking along similar lines.
        Are you interested in collaborating to develop such a system?

        As a practicing engineer and an architecture student I consider the
        develpment of a sustainability measurement system for new development
        to be necessary if we are to create anything approaching car free
        cities. The results of New Urbanism to date have been disapointing
        regarding transit and sustainability issues and could have been
        predicted if a model had been available. It is highly unlikely the
        present New Urbanist communities will ever evolve into pedestrian
        oriented, transit supported communities given their established
        relatively low densities and disregard for transit planning.

        My thoughts:

        1. The measurement system should be conceptually simple and easy to
        use.
        2. The system should predict a sustainabilty measure at project
        completion when in the planning stages so that plans can be improved
        to meet desired goals.
        3. While a computer model would certainly be useful, a simplified
        hand calculated model may have greater utility and could be produced
        quicker.
        4. I propose a simplified hand calculated system be developed first
        and then a more fully developed computer model be developed as
        resources allow.

        I would be interested in hearing from anyone interested in developing
        such a system.

        Tim Prescott
      • cndpandit
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 14, 2002
          --- In carfree_cities@y..., "mountainsport500" <tjordanprescott@h...>
          wrote:

          > Chris, You Wrote:
          >
          > If we want to overcome the problem of developers misusing a concept
          in
          > their new-project blurbs, we should apply ourselves to the
          development
          > of a
          > clear, measurable definition of the ideal living environment.
          >
          > Ideally, it would be accompanied by a way to measure the degree of
          > conformity a particular project achieved. .................
          >
          > The computer model would allow its owner to run a particular
          > subdivision
          > design against the standards, to give it a rating that would be
          used
          > by
          > consumers (and perhaps town councils) in making decisions. Sort of a
          > standards laboratory with an ISO number.

          > I really like this idea and have been thinking along similar lines.
          > Are you interested in collaborating to develop such a system?
          >
          > As a practicing engineer and an architecture student I consider the
          > develpment of a sustainability measurement system for new
          development
          > to be necessary if we are to create anything approaching car free
          > cities. The results of New Urbanism to date have been disapointing
          > regarding transit and sustainability issues and could have been
          > predicted if a model had been available. It is highly unlikely the
          > present New Urbanist communities will ever evolve into pedestrian
          > oriented, transit supported communities given their established
          > relatively low densities and disregard for transit planning.
          >

          > My thoughts:
          >
          > 1. The measurement system should be conceptually simple and easy to
          > use.
          > 2. The system should predict a sustainabilty measure at project
          > completion when in the planning stages so that plans can be
          improved
          > to meet desired goals.
          > 3. While a computer model would certainly be useful, a simplified
          > hand calculated model may have greater utility and could be
          produced
          > quicker.
          > 4. I propose a simplified hand calculated system be developed first
          > and then a more fully developed computer model be developed as
          > resources allow.
          >

          > I would be interested in hearing from anyone interested in
          developing
          > such a system.
          >

          > Tim Prescott

          I wrote this in detail but my server droped me and I lost it all so
          Ill make this fast. My name is Chris David and hey Im from Ottawa
          also. In creating your system of measureing the efficiency, comfort
          and lifestyle derived from a project. I feel that unless a project
          encomposes work, shelter and play. (ie it must have a predetermined
          industry.) You must measure the efficiency of the entire city. If its
          a car free project, the public transportation system of the entire
          city must be measured. Now it gets fun can you imagine the kinds of
          industry that can shape diffrent communities.
        • bill norman
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 14, 2002
            We seem to give developers carte blanche, they should be required to help with roads as well as schools. Perhaps, they could help with input through careful design to limit traffic. What about the maglev train concept?
            Bill Norman
            cndpandit <nimaid@...> wrote: --- In carfree_cities@y..., "mountainsport500"

            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 15, 2002
              --- In carfree_cities@y..., Chris Bradshaw <chris@t...> wrote:
              > If we want to overcome the problem of developers misusing a concept
              in
              > their new-project blurbs, we should apply ourselves to the
              development
              > of a
              > clear, measurable definition of the ideal living environment.
              >
              > Ideally, it would be accompanied by a way to measure the degree of
              > conformity a particular project achieved.
              >
              > It could measure one or more of the following (perhaps resorting to
              > models to _predict_ performance before the project is built):
              >
              > - energy use per adult and per child resident, both for living
              >space and for transportation

              Hello Chris David here from Hull. This I believe would be invaluable
              because far too many developers, even high end, opt for cheaper
              building practices which in the end only transfer larger energy bills
              to the home owner. Do you think that is advertised, lol I think not.
              In the realm of energy efficiency there are absolutely incredible
              options, upwards to a 75% reduction in energy use just in building
              materials and methods. However, these options sometimes cost more and
              well because people are unaware there is no demand. This model must
              be made, just the implication on bids for civic buildings, ie; I can
              make you that building and it will only consume this much power. WoW