Americans want to live in big homes in the exurbs?!

  • turpin
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 8, 2002
      So says a survey by the National Association
      of Home Builders. Here are some quotes from
      the article:

      "Location: Top choice was an outer suburban
      location (37 percent), followed by rural
      (31 percent) and close-in suburban (28
      percent). Only 5 percent said they wanted a
      house in a central city."

      "Space: The median size of survey
      respondents' homes was 1,700 square feet.
      They wanted 2,071 square feet."

      Speaking as someone whose family of three
      lives in a 900 sq ft urban home, I must be
      out of step. This article may drop off the
      site in a few days, so read it soon:

      http://www.austin360.com/statesman/editions/saturday/business_1.html
    • mdh6214
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 8, 2002
        I have a friend who owns a 1960s cookie-cutter suburban house. We
        were talking about different things, and, him being a double major in
        Econ and Finance and a free-market nut, he posed the following
        question:

        "What makes central city areas so friggin' expensive?"

        I put a little bit of thought into it, and I think I just came up
        with an explanation why:

        Looking at those statistics below, you'd think that central city
        residences would be cheaper, since apparently, only 5% of us want to
        live in them.

        However, as many of us know, there are city ordinances that prohibit
        expansion of a central-city area. We all know about
        zoning "ordinances" that dictate minimum amounts of parking,
        distances between buildings, densities, FARs, etc. Do you think
        possibly that, since expanding high-density neighborhoods and central
        urban areas is now illegal and growth is essentially sprawl by law,
        that 5% of us who DO want central urban houses are forced into an
        artificially small market, driving prices up?

        When my family moved to Tallahassee in 1991, my parents decided on an
        early 1960s suburban house about 3 miles from downtown--an 8-minute
        walk from the city bus, and a 10-15 minute drive downtown, even
        during rush hour.

        They looked at a neighborhood with pre-WW II houses that would have
        been closer to downtown (about a mile), allowing for an instant bus
        ride or decent walk. However, they rejected these houses because they
        were too small and too expensive.

        Perhaps if developers were _allowed_ to build more of these "central
        urban" houses brand new, we'd have more of them available--bigger,
        more modern and cheaper, yet still in a mid- to high-density urban
        area we love.

        My friend had another interesting question:

        "How would people in American urban areas change their behaviors and
        lifestyles if transportation was unsubsidized?"

        He wondered if it was possible for a computer simulation of this to
        be done. Obviously, there is, and probably will not for a long time
        be, a live model of this.

        By the way, my friend is a libertarian, but unlike our friends at the
        Cato Institute, he does _not_ ignore road subsidies and pro-sprawl
        ordinances.

        Feedback to my rants welcome...

        --matt

        --- In carfree_cities@y..., "turpin" <turpin@y...> wrote:
        > So says a survey by the National Association
        > of Home Builders. Here are some quotes from
        > the article:
        >
        > "Location: Top choice was an outer suburban
        > location (37 percent), followed by rural
        > (31 percent) and close-in suburban (28
        > percent). Only 5 percent said they wanted a
        > house in a central city."
        >
        > "Space: The median size of survey
        > respondents' homes was 1,700 square feet.
        > They wanted 2,071 square feet."
        >
        > Speaking as someone whose family of three
        > lives in a 900 sq ft urban home, I must be
        > out of step. This article may drop off the
        > site in a few days, so read it soon:
        >
        > http://www.austin360.com/statesman/editions/saturday/business_1.html
      • Jym Dyer
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 8, 2002
          > "What makes central city areas so friggin' expensive?"

          =v= We're subsidizing the suburbs.

          > "How would people in American urban areas change their
          > behaviors and lifestyles if transportation was unsubsidized?"

          =v= They would clamor for subsidy. The real question is, what
          if the subsidy were optimized economically and ecologically?
          <_Jym_>
        • mdh6214
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 9, 2002
            I'm still trying to figure out a way to get it through to Americans
            that money to build roads is not pulled out of a hat. Since Americans
            hate taxes so much, all we need is a way to explain what roads do to,
            say, property taxes. Unfortunately, no elected official--or the media-
            -want to explain the truth.

            --- In carfree_cities@y..., Jym Dyer <jym@e...> wrote:
            > > "What makes central city areas so friggin' expensive?"
            >
            > =v= We're subsidizing the suburbs.
            >
            > > "How would people in American urban areas change their
            > > behaviors and lifestyles if transportation was unsubsidized?"
            >
            > =v= They would clamor for subsidy. The real question is, what
            > if the subsidy were optimized economically and ecologically?
            > <_Jym_>
          • dubluth
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 9, 2002
              Thanks for bringing this article to our attention. The features that
              people want from their homes are surely a central issue in
              implementing car free cities.

              Surveys respondents, only 5% of whom said they would like to live in
              the central city, were in all likelihood thinking of cities as they
              know them with the noise and pollution of cars and the physical
              imposition of vehicles' hazardous spaces slicing through the city. A
              car-free city would be a very different creature -- full of people,
              but not congested with automobiles.

              Joel Crawford's reference design includes interior courtyards that
              include green space, though not necessarily trees, outside the
              windows of most buildings. Trees were an essential feature for 1/3
              of respondents' homes according the survey. Living area may fall
              short in the reference design as compared to respondent's desired and
              actual homes. The single family occupying a small narrow building
              described on page 169 will have floor space of 1,560 to 2,400 square
              feet if the home consists of all four floors. A family occupying
              only the upper three floors will have 1,040 to 1,800 square feet.
              This compares to the median respondent's home size of 1,700 square
              feet and desired home size of 2,071 square feet. As I understand it,
              the effect of increasing home size is reduced density and less
              effective transportation (slower transportation for a given
              population served, because of the need for more stops along a longer
              route or longer walks to reach the station)

              The floor area a home contains is one of the things that go into a
              lifestyle. By focusing in on home size, I don't mean to imply that a
              home in a car-free city would necessarily have to have the same floor
              area as a home in an auto-centric culture if both were providing the
              optimal level of service to the occupants in their respective
              environments. Home size is an important consideration because it
              influences density, and is therefore is an important feature of city
              design.

              Of course, price is a limiting factor in purchases. While that might
              seem to constrain families in the square footage they acquire, a more
              efficient transportation system that excludes cars would free up a
              tremendous amount of income, as well as time. Therefore, even in an
              urban area, the homes people could afford may be larger with the
              result that the system less dense and not as efficient, if efficiency
              is measured as passengers moved by transit in a given amount of
              time. In the auto-centric mode in which we operate, people tolerate
              significant commute times. I like the idea of making foot travel the
              source of any necessary increases in travel time that is associated
              with lower density. The rail system retains most of its efficiency
              and people get more exercise, which may not be such a bad thing.

              Bill

              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 10, 2002
                --- "dubluth" <dubluth@y...> wrote:
                > .. A family occupying only the upper three
                > floors will have 1,040 to 1,800 square feet.
                > This compares to the median respondent's
                > home size of 1,700 square feet and desired
                > home size of 2,071 square feet.

                My own belief is that city homes and country
                homes cannot be compared with regard to size.
                People in the exurbs -- and to some extent,
                the suburbs -- try to make their homes fully
                self sufficient. The reason for this is that
                any lapse requires them to do without or to
                make a long drive into town. In the city,
                you're surrounded by services that make this
                unnecessary.

                We have a small pantry. To cook a significant
                meal, we first visit the local grocery, which
                is five minutes to walk. They're open every
                day of the year, from 9am to 8pm. One
                Thanksgiving, Carolyn sent me three times, as
                she remembered one thing after another.

                Our house lacks picnic benches or a pool or
                tennis court. Across the block is a public
                park, whose use is free, with plenty of
                benches, a wading pool, and a regular pool
                with lap lanes. So we don't need a closet to
                store the equipment for maintenance of those.
                Public tennis courts are north of the park.
                A sculptor's museum is east of the park.

                Our dining room is too small to host more
                than six people. But if we want to throw
                a large party, there are several good
                restaurants in the neighborhood that would
                host it for us. We could then walk en masse
                back to our house, for drinks and company.
                Of course, we don't have a wet bar, so it
                might be more fun to walk to the outside
                dessert bar, two blocks south of the
                museum.

                We have no place for a video library, but
                -- you guessed it -- a video store is a
                five minute walk. The post office is a
                block away. The credit union, a ten minute
                walk.

                Maintaining a house that supplied all the
                goods and services as our neighborhood
                would require several thousand square feet,
                and a handful of servants. Maybe that makes
                sense if you're an English lord. Otherwise,
                a convenient neighborhood is the next best
                alternative. Most people have never lived
                that way, so they are not familiar with it.
              • Doug Salzmann
                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 10, 2002
                  In a message sent Today, turpin wrote:

                  ->
                  -> My own belief is that city homes and country
                  -> homes cannot be compared with regard to size.
                  -> People in the exurbs -- and to some extent,
                  -> the suburbs -- try to make their homes fully
                  -> self sufficient. The reason for this is that
                  -> any lapse requires them to do without or to
                  -> make a long drive into town. In the city,
                  -> you're surrounded by services that make this
                  -> unnecessary.

                  Exactly. Nailed it. Right on.

                  -Doug
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 10, 2002
                    dubluth wrote:

                    > Living area may fall
                    > short in the reference design as compared to respondent's desired and
                    > actual homes. The single family occupying a small narrow building
                    > described on page 169 will have floor space of 1,560 to 2,400 square
                    > feet if the home consists of all four floors.

                    When i was recently in Manhattan, I read or heard a story about a family
                    who wanted to biuld a three-story addition to their house in their
                    portion of the interior courtyard, which most Manhattan four-stroy
                    blocks have. His neighbors were irritated, as it would block off light
                    and air and reduce teh parklike feeling of the courtyard. One neighbor,
                    who lived in a house of the same plan, commented, "He's got 14 rooms and
                    six bathrooms just like me...why does he need a three-story addition?"

                    High density housing need not be cramped.

                    Of course these are expensive digs, but the FAR and density are much
                    higher than in neighborhoods of similar economic level in Beverly
                    Hills. And there are trees and greenery.

                    Rick
                    http://www.living-room.org
                    http://www.newcolonist.com

                    "Hope cannot be said to exist, nor can it be said not to exist. It is
                    just like the roads across the earth. For actually there were no roads
                    to begin with, but when many people pass one way a road is made."

                    Lu Hsun
                  • Karen Sandness
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 10, 2002
                      For a partial answer to the question in the title, take a look at the
                      following article from the Real Estate section of the Sunday Oregonian. For
                      those of you who don't know Portland, the article describes the neighborhood
                      quite accurately. The streetcar is only part of the transit picture,
                      however, because three buslines (#15, #17, and #77) also run through the
                      area, and residents are within easy walking distance of a car sharing
                      outpost.

                      http://www.oregonlive.com/realestate/oregonian/index.ssf?/xml/story.ssf/html
                      _standard.xsl?/base/homes_real_estate/1023537421278111.xml

                      Take particular note of the prices for these developments.

                      The issue of affordable housing is intimately connected with the issue of
                      building livable cities.

                      In transit,
                      Karen Sandness
                    • justinemarysmith
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jul 16 5:20 AM
                        --- You make a really good point. I live in a city neighborhood with a
                        small grocery store on the corner but video store, park, restaurants
                        etc are quite a ways away. I really can't think of one neighborhood
                        in my city that comes close to what you describe. In United States
                        perhaps a small handful of cities have neighborhoods as you describe.
                        Do you live in Europe or Canada? Which city are you referring to.
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jul 16 8:12 AM
                          Believe it or not, my neighborhood in Los Angeles is nearly ideal in many
                          ways. I have, within a two-minute walk of my spacious apartment, a major
                          grocery store, three drugstores, a commercial food-service supplier, a
                          bakery/deli, a video store, an office-supply store, a custom shoemaker, and a
                          number of small restaurants; expand the walk to five minutes and you add
                          corner grocery, another shoemaker, another video store, another office supply
                          store, barbershops, more delis, more restaurants, as well as numerous office
                          buildings; make it ten minutes, and you add electronic supply stores, a
                          newsstand, banks, coffeehouses, more restaurants; make it twenty minutes and
                          you add specialty grocers, and the permanent farmer's market on Third and
                          Fairfax, which includes yet more restaurants, plus a few more banks.

                          The only thing we don't have here in what's called the Miracle Mile is, oddly
                          enough, a hardware store.

                          Great transit too, at least for LA.

                          Richard

                          Message 12 of 16 , Jul 17 10:05 AM
                            on 02.7.17 4:52 AM, carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com at
                            carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com wrote:

                            > Message: 1
                            > Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 12:20:21 -0000
                            > From: "justinemarysmith" <justinemarysmith@...>
                            > Subject: Re: You need less space living in a good neighborhood
                            >
                            > --- You make a really good point. I live in a city neighborhood with a
                            > small grocery store on the corner but video store, park, restaurants
                            > etc are quite a ways away. I really can't think of one neighborhood
                            > in my city that comes close to what you describe. In United States
                            > perhaps a small handful of cities have neighborhoods as you describe.
                            > Do you live in Europe or Canada? Which city are you referring to.

                            I live in Portland, Oregon, just outside of a neighborhood commonly referred
                            to as "Northwest." Within walking distance I have two full-service grocery
                            stores, four or five dry cleaners, two hair salons, a ski shop (I don't ski,
                            but it's nice to know that it's there), three drugstores, an art house movie
                            theater, three specialty grocery stores, four banks, an independent
                            bookstore, a funky shoe store, a large independent record store, an
                            elementary school, a high school, and more restaurants of every description
                            than I can begin to count. I'm also five minutes away from four bus lines
                            and ten minutes away from light rail.

                            Not all Portland neighborhoods are like this, but I can think of at least
                            two others (Hawthorne and the Lloyd District) that come pretty close.

                            By the way, I was in Los Angeles last November, and Richard kindly took me
                            on a walking tour of his neighborhood, which is indeed as he describes.
                            Riding around the city on the bus, I was pleasantly surprised to find that
                            L.A. and its surroundings are more than a huge strip mall hell.

                            Maybe there's an urban neighborhood in your city that is just waiting to be
                            discovered.

                            In transit,
                            Karen Sandness
                          • Jym Dyer
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jul 17 10:27 AM
                              =v= At one point in my life I lived so close to a good grocery
                              store that I simply unplugged my fridge. I figured they were
                              chilling stuff a few blocks away anyhow, so why waste energy?
                              I'd pick up perishables on the way home and make dinner.
                              <_Jym_>
                            • turpin
                              Message 14 of 16 , Aug 6, 2002
                                --- In carfree_cities@y..., "justinemarysmith"
                                <justinemarysmith@h...> wrote:
                                > In United States perhaps a small handful of
                                > cities have neighborhoods as you describe.
                                > Do you live in Europe or Canada?

                                Hardly. I live in Austin, Texas, in the Hyde
                                Park neighborhood. Much of Austin has become the
                                typically sprawled city. But there are a handful
                                of neighborhoods that are pretty convenient. I
                                suspect the majority of people, in major cities
                                throughout the US, (a) don't know that their
                                cities contain such neighborhoods, and (b) are
                                unaware of how much difference it makes, compared
                                to living in the typical suburb.
                              • Chris Bradshaw
                                Message 15 of 16 , Aug 7, 2002
                                  > Do you live in Europe or Canada?

                                  I live in Canada, specifically, Ottawa, the national capital and fourth
                                  largest.

                                  I live in "the Glebe" (the name refers to the status of the lands before
                                  development, as lands belonging to a downtown church, used to rent to
                                  farmers, giving the church extra income). It is about a square mile,
                                  with a population of about 12,000 in about 8,000 households, half of
                                  which are rented. We are served by two north-south and two east-west
                                  bus routes.

                                  We have about 100 retail outlets, which are less neighbourhood-oriented
                                  than before the car became ubiquitous. But we do have the following:

                                  2 grocery stores, plus about 20 other food stores (including 3 bakeries)
                                  2 liquor stores and 2 beer stores (they are government monopolies in
                                  Ontario)
                                  38 restaurants and take-outs, including 7 pubs (they stay open until 2
                                  a.m.)
                                  1 laundromat (two closed in the last two years)
                                  3 pharmacies
                                  1 hardware store
                                  2 video outlets (plus a few videos avail. at 3 remaining corners stores)
                                  1 pet-supply store, plus three vets
                                  2 gas stations and one repair garage
                                  10 bookstores (there were 15 ten years ago)
                                  2 community centres (one for seniors)
                                  3 elementary schools, 1 high school, 1 montessori school
                                  5 coffee shops (our tea house closed about 4 years ago)

                                  Thanks to high property values and slow driving speeds on our main
                                  street (Bank Street), very few chains have moved in: Body Shop,
                                  Pizza-Pizza and Pizza hut, and McDonalds (not on the main street,
                                  though). A good sign of commercial health is the growing number of new
                                  businesses that locate around the corner, in basements, and on second
                                  floors (there are also a number of apartments above stores).

                                  And, yes, these amenities translate into needing less space to live in.
                                  And, with 1) transit, 2) a high likelihood of flagging down a taxi on an
                                  arterial, and 3) two car-sharing vehicles (provided by my company,
                                  Vrtucar), there is little reason to own a car (a major exception is poor
                                  transit service for "reverse commutes" to the suburban business parks,
                                  which means that street parking is tight overnight).

                                  I have often thought of developing a "neighbourhood integrity" index to
                                  find the most self-sufficient neighbourhood in North America. I would
                                  think ours (which my wife and I "discovered" in 1981, although we lived
                                  in it when we were married in 1969 before moving to the burbs where our
                                  parents urged us to live) would be among the top "scorers."

                                  In general, Canadian cities have a number of "advantages" over American
                                  cities. With the climate, we have smaller yards, emphasizing indoor
                                  space. With more unified municipal government, we have more compact new
                                  development and few "poor neighbourhoods." With more racial integration
                                  (and a smaller population of "blacks"), we never experienced
                                  neighbourhood upheavals. With no federal powers over urban affairs, we
                                  don't have the downside of strings-attached grants to build urban
                                  freeways and clear, wholesale, older urban areas. I also think (I was
                                  raised in a Canadian-American family, living the last half of childhood
                                  in Ohio and Denver, and attending a U.S. college) that Canadians are
                                  less gung-ho consumers, having a more cynical view of advertising (e.g.,
                                  I think there are more Canadian top comics in our common entertainment
                                  market than there are Americans).

                                  Chris Bradshaw
                                • turpin
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Aug 7, 2002
                                    --- In carfree_cities@y..., Chris Bradshaw <chris@t...> wrote:
                                    > I have often thought of developing a "neighbourhood
                                    > integrity" index to find the most self-sufficient
                                    > neighbourhood in North America.

                                    Hopefully, we would not all move to that one. But
                                    there IS a tremendous difference between neighborhoods,
                                    in the same city. Even cities that suffer sprawl and
                                    other problems sometimes contain neighborhoods that are
                                    quite convenient. And the identity of these
                                    neighborhoods now seems almost a secret. Sometimes not
                                    even the local real estate agents know and appreciate
                                    the difference -- they just remark in surprise that
                                    "those small houses sure maintain their value."

                                    I think a catalog of good neighborhoods would attract
                                    a lot of attention to the qualities we're discussing,
                                    and might even make a successful book. I'm not sure
                                    how to put it together. I don't think it is enough to
                                    develop a numerical metric and then score neighborhoods,
                                    even if one could get the raw data for the score. How
                                    many restaurants, banks, groceries, bars, video stores,
                                    etc. are within a mile of my house? So many, it would
                                    take quite some work to count. More important than
                                    their distance "as the crow flies" is that they are on
                                    good walking routes. Now: Where do you get *that* kind
                                    of data?

                                    It seems to me that such a catalog almost has to be
                                    compiled by someone who investigates such things in a
                                    more direct fashion than running city directories
                                    through a computer program, though that might be a
                                    good start.