Auto VS Public Transit

  • robhines@mac.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 7, 2002
      I'm looking for a case where a city has gone from extreme
      auto-dependence to then rely significantly on public transit. In
      particular I'm looking for photos, reaction from business, government,
      residents, and costs incurred before and after the partial switch over
      to PT. Anything would be appreciable, especially if I can find it on the
      web, as I'm trying to get together a presentation for the Mayor. Keep in
      mind that a case for a small city, around 100,000, would be ideal.

      Thanks,

      Rob Hines
      robhines@...
      100 Riverdale Drive
      Sydney NS B1R 1P4
      Canada
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 7, 2002
        Have a look at Hasselt, Belgium, which made public transport
        free and saw an 800% increase in year-to-year ridership.
        I think it's of a similar size to Sydney.

        >I'm looking for a case where a city has gone from extreme
        >auto-dependence to then rely significantly on public transit. In
        >particular I'm looking for photos, reaction from business, government,
        >residents, and costs incurred before and after the partial switch over
        >to PT. Anything would be appreciable, especially if I can find it on the
        >web, as I'm trying to get together a presentation for the Mayor. Keep in
        >mind that a case for a small city, around 100,000, would be ideal.
        >
        >Thanks,
        >
        >Rob Hines
        >robhines@...
        >100 Riverdale Drive