Re: [carfree_cities] Re: No sidewalks? No streetlights? No home mail delivery?

    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 6, 2002
      >I once stayed with a relative in a suburb with no sidewalks. I was very young, but genuinely disturbed.
      >
      >Can't walk on the lawns, can't walk on the asphalt, so I "tightroped" along the curb. And this is supposed to give a "rural atmosphere".

      You know, if you're really in the country, the place you walk is down the middle of the road. No sidewalks, no curbs, and the drivers will be expecting to see you there. Works best on dirt roads, of course, where drivers have to go slow anyway.

      When you find this in the 'burbs, it is, I agree, deeply disquieting. Nobody here but us SUVs.

      Regards,

      -- ### --

      J.H. Crawford Carfree Cities
      mailbox@... Carfree.com