Re: No sidewalks? No streetlights? No home mail delivery?

  • enjax
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 5, 2002
      I just read a similar article in the L.A. Times..

      http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-000039526jun05.story?coll=la%
      2Dheadlines%2Dcalifornia

      Some of the highlights:

      "This is a community where life revolves around the members-only golf
      course and the Garden Club, a place where sidewalks and street lights
      are forbidden, and where an ironclad homeowners' agreement
      called "the Covenant" allows the Art Jury to decide even the smallest
      detail of landscaping and architecture."

      "To enforce its coveted anonymity, the community forbids mailboxes.
      The local post office is the unofficial gathering spot. "If not for
      the post office, you'd never see your neighbor," said real estate
      agent Patrick Galvin."

      "The last thing in this world we want is to be known as the richest
      town in America," said Sandy Bien, vice president of the Garden
      Club. "We're just a pretty, quaint community full of everyday people."

      "Its main street is choked each morning and evening with commuters
      passing through from the coast to the inland portions of the county
      and vice-versa."

      "Locals are willing to live with those trifles. They show no signs of
      wanting to throw off their splendid isolation, consistently turning
      down the idea of becoming a city."

      "Cityhood is seen as a threat to preserving the good life. The
      Covenant has done its job in governing land use. Cityhood, residents
      concluded, might mean opening up Art Jury meetings to the public and
      lifting the residents-only restrictions on the soccer fields."

      Gee.. What a wonderful place.. A land of obscenely rich republicans
      who have a total lack of respect for the public realm!

      --- In carfree_cities@y..., "turpin" <turpin@y...> wrote:
      > CNN tries to paint an idyllic picture:
      >
      > http://www.cnn.com/2002/US/06/04/richest.towns.ap/index.html
      >
      > To me, it sounds like mass insanity. I'm not surprised
      > it was the departure grounds for Heaven's Gate.
    • demiurge1978
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 5, 2002
        I once stayed with a relative in a suburb with no sidewalks. I was very young, but genuinely disturbed.

        Can't walk on the lawns, can't walk on the asphalt, so I "tightroped" along the curb. And this is supposed to give a "rural atmosphere".

        What about those islands on Lake Superior or off the coast of New England, that forbid cars. Now that's what I call "rural atmosphere".

        -Alex V.

        --- In carfree_cities@y..., "turpin" <turpin@y...> wrote:
        > CNN tries to paint an idyllic picture:
        >
        > http://www.cnn.com/2002/US/06/04/richest.towns.ap/index.html
        >
        > To me, it sounds like mass insanity. I'm not surprised
        > it was the departure grounds for Heaven's Gate.
      • powerwalker
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 5, 2002
          It's not always bad when streets have no sidewalks. When I get off the train
          station (in Dorion), I am in a small neighborhood where streets have
          sidewalks that run between the lot and another grassy area next to the
          street. Most people just walk in the street, and cyclists ride in the
          middle. When there is a car, the driver has to go slowly and sometimes yield
          a pedestrian who is crossing or walking in the street.

          The main thing is when there's no sidewalk, then the asphalt surface becomes
          a walkway, cycling way and a carriageway (where cars are allowed) at once.
          We ought to show car drivers it is the case by drifting towards the middle
          (or a critical area) as we walk or even cycle, to show we are there and need
          a certain area to remain safe while moving on a flat surface we all deserve,
          no matter the propelling method used.

          Louis-Luc

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 6, 2002
            >I once stayed with a relative in a suburb with no sidewalks. I was very young, but genuinely disturbed.
            >
            >Can't walk on the lawns, can't walk on the asphalt, so I "tightroped" along the curb. And this is supposed to give a "rural atmosphere".

            You know, if you're really in the country, the place you walk is down the middle of the road. No sidewalks, no curbs, and the drivers will be expecting to see you there. Works best on dirt roads, of course, where drivers have to go slow anyway.

            When you find this in the 'burbs, it is, I agree, deeply disquieting. Nobody here but us SUVs.

            Regards,

            -- ### --

            J.H. Crawford Carfree Cities
            mailbox@... Carfree.com