Possible car free development near central London

  • smytho
    Message 1 of 2 , May 31, 2002
      Hello everyone

      To celebrate the millennium, the British government built a science
      museum cum theme park inside a giant dome on the North Greenwich
      Peninsula on the river Thames. This peninsula of 190 acres (76.9
      hectares) used to be home to a gas works. The "Millennium Dome"
      failed to attract sufficient visitors to make it worthwhile and was
      widely viewed as an embarrassing failure.

      It has now been sold to a property development consortium that plans
      to keep the dome as a concert venue. They also plan to build several
      thousand residential units on the accompanying land over the coming
      25 years.

      This site is on the Jubilee underground line and borders the
      Docklands financial district and London City Airport. The development
      of the site is subject to planning permission, that the developers
      expect to obtain in 2003.

      Is this a viable car free district?
      Could the developer increase profits by achieving a higher
      residential density?
      Could the developer be persuaded that a car free district would have
      higher property values than a car dependent district?
      Could the planners insist on car free development?

      Anyone on this list who lives in London and is interested in finding
      ways to get this district designed in a car free fashion is welcome
      to email me.

      --Ossian Smyth
      smytho@...

      Links:
      Millennium Dome
      http://millennium-dome.com/dome/

      Lend Lease(Major partner in the Meridian Delta development consortium)
      http://www.lendlease.com.au/

      Map of the North Greenwich Peninsula with aerial photos
      http://makeashorterlink.com/?V2AA527F
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 1, 2002
        Ossian Smyth said:

        >It has now been sold to a property development consortium that plans
        >to keep the dome as a concert venue. They also plan to build several
        >thousand residential units on the accompanying land over the coming
        >25 years.
        >
        >This site is on the Jubilee underground line and borders the
        >Docklands financial district and London City Airport. The development
        >of the site is subject to planning permission, that the developers
        >expect to obtain in 2003.
        >
        >Is this a viable car free district?

        Every site is a viable carfree district. Some are just more viable
        than others. This one is VERY viable.

        >Could the developer increase profits by achieving a higher
        >residential density?

        If allowed, certainly. After all, they make their money on the floor
        space, not the parking lots. It would require that the city permit
        them to build at higher densities, achieved by making the streets
        narrower, much narrower. Red Ken is likely to be behind the program.
        Lord Rogers has had a lot to say about the site and might get
        behind it.

        >Could the developer be persuaded that a car free district would have
        >higher property values than a car dependent district?

        If we had the research, I think we could easily see this--I'm sure
        it's true, but I can't yet prove it. We're working on it.

        >Could the planners insist on car free development?

        The city's planners? Politically difficult now. If the developer's
        planners proposed it to the city, I think it would be accepted.
        Concerns will be raised about what will happen to the cars that
        people who live there own. Some of them will need to be accommodated
        in peripheral parking garages, but many would probably accept car
        sharing for the few trips when they still need a car. (Car sharing
        is well developed in continental Europe.)

        >Anyone on this list who lives in London and is interested in finding
        >ways to get this district designed in a car free fashion is welcome
        >to email me.

        -- ### --

        J.H. Crawford Carfree Cities
        mailbox@... Carfree.com