Re: [carfree_cities] Frequently Asked Questions

    Message 1 of 11 , May 5, 2002
      Mark Rauterkus said:

      >As to the FAQ, please make it FAQ & As. The questions are a start, but we
      >need the answers. <;O

      Let's just call it the FAQ, since that's the normal name. It always
      comes with answers!

      >The FAQ & A could be put into the public domain.

      I agree, I don't think it should be copyrighted at all.

      >A WEB DAV or CVS tree can be established so others can be trusted users to
      >add and adjust the contributions. Distributed editing and updates. A
      >threaded discussion board may work less well as would a "moderated"
      >NEWSGROUP.

      I don't know how this works.

      >The email discussion group (this) could have a policy that folks working on
      >the FAQ content make the sumbission with the Subject line: SUMMARY.

      That's a big ambiguous, let's just use "FAQ", which is not.

      >We might be able to organize / maintain the publi FAQ & A with a new venture
      >I'm pitching in my area -- a Community Learning Outreach Hub (
      >http://CLOH.Org ). But, that hand-off won't come about until Sept-Oct 2003.

      Keep us posted. I think for now it should be fairly simple, not more
      than 20 questions, and as far as I'm concerned, it could go on the
      new Carfree Institute site. Carfree.com would host it, of course, if
      need be.

      Regards,

      -- ### --

      J.H. Crawford Carfree Cities
      mailbox@... Carfree.com
    • T. J. Binkley
      Message 2 of 11 , May 5, 2002

        >I believe there is a study somewhere on carfree.com which contradicts the
        >health issue quite clearly indicating that people in cars actually suffer
        >more from car fumes.

        Yes. It has been demonstrated that exhaust fumes get concentrated in a
        car's interior---therefore a pedestrian standing outside the car may be
        breathing in less toxic air. Not so sure about a vigorously breathing
        cyclist or jogger though...

        >I believe the hypothesis is that because you are
        >breathing deeper and more vigorously the crud does not settle in your lungs.

        ...actually breathing deeper and more vigorously DOES cause more of the
        crud to irritate your lungs. This was demonstrated by recent studies
        linking increased asthma incidence in urban children, and even higher
        incidence in urban children who participate in lots of outdoor sports.

        >Anyone have the citation?

        Data on air quality inside cars:
        Gee I.L. and Raper D.W., 'Commuter exposure to respirable particles inside
        buses and by bicycle', The Science of the Total Environment, 235, 403-405
        (1999)
        Kingham S., Meaton J., Sheard A. and Lawrenson O., 'Assessment of exposure to
        traffic-related fumes during the journey to work', Transpn Res.-D, vol 3 no
        4, 271-274 (1998)
        Lawryk, N. J. and Weisel, C. P., 'Concentrations of volatile organic
        compounds in
        passenger compartments of automobiles', Environmental Science Technology
        30, 810-816 (1996)
        Van Wijnen, J. H., Verhoeff, A. P., Jans, H. W. A. and van Bruggen, M.,
        'The exposure of cyclists, car drivers and pedestrians to traffic-related
        air pollutants', International Archives of
        Environmental Health 67, 187-193 (1995)
        --
        Dr Adrian Croucher
        Department of Engineering Science

        A. Exclusive Official study shows that air pollution causes the
        disease affecting 5m Britons
        By Geoffrey Lean, Environment Editor
        Pollution from car exhausts causes asthma, dramatic new official research
        shows.
        A massive study, backed by the Californian and US governments, has
        demonstrated for the first time that ozone, the main component of smog, can
        cause healthy children to develop the life-threatening condition. Top
        British scientists believe it has provided the "smoking gun" that finally
        links pollution to the disease.
        The conclusion - which vindicates an Independent on Sunday campaign that
        began more than eight years ago - is likely to have an explosive effect on
        transport and health policy in Britain, which suffers from the highest
        incidence of asthma in Europe.
        It comes as the Government's own chief scientific adviser, Professor David
        King, calls for a ban on the sale of petrol and diesel, a measure that
        would drastically reduce the pollutants that cause asthma and global
        warming. He says announcing a ban to take effect some years in the future
        would force companies to develop "green" cars running on electricity and
        hydrogen.
        More than one in every seven children in the country now suffers from
        asthma - six times as many as 25 years ago - and, in all, five million
        Britons have the disease: 18,000 new cases are diagnosed each week, and
        1,500 people die from it every year.
        Yet the Government has done little to tackle the pollution now being
        identified as one of the causes of the epidemic. Ozone is excluded from
        national measures being implemented by local authorities to tackle
        contaminated air.
        Scientists have long agreed that ozone exacerbates the disease in those who
        have it, and many have suspected that it causes it in the first place. But
        in the absence of proof there has been little political interest in
        tackling it. The new study breaks the impasse.
        "We have known for some time that smog can trigger attacks in asthmatics,"
        says Alan C Lloyd, California's top air pollution official. "This study
        has shown that ozone can cause asthma as well."
        Professor Rob McConnell of the University of Southern California, the
        leading author of the study, and his colleagues made the connection by
        mounting the first study of its kind into the disease in children. They
        identified 3,535 children aged nine and over, with no history of asthma,
        living in both smoggy and relatively unpolluted towns and suburbs, and
        recorded what happen to them over the next five years.
        Uniquely, they took particular notice of how much sport the children
        played. Sporty children are exposed to more air pollution, both because
        they spend more time outdoors and because vigorous exercise makes them
        breathe 17 times faster, and draws air deeper into the lungs.
        They found that children who played three or more sports in smoggy areas
        were more than three times more likely to get asthma than equally active
        children in relatively unpolluted ones. Less sporty children in polluted
        towns and suburbs were also more likely to get the disease, though not to
        the same extent.
        Top British experts last week hailed the study as a breakthrough. "It is
        very, very important - the first paper I know of that suggests that
        pollution may cause asthma," said Dr John Ayres, professor of respiratory
        medicine at the University of Birmingham.