FAQ on measuring quality of life: partial answer

  • Daren Scot Wilson
    Message 1 of 1 , May 3, 2002
      >8. Carfree development---Will it work?

      Of course!

      > Will it create better quality of
      >life? How does it get

      Here's the real comment...

      From the book Affluenza, chapter 29 "Annual Checkups" discusses
      alternatives to the GNP/GDP for measuring economic health. The
      authors describe surveys on Denver - ranking it high as a "livable" but
      at the same time surveys describe horrible traffic problems.
      Sometimes I think most surveys are just random number generators.
      Anyway, the authors describe the Genuine Progress Indicator (GPI). I
      have heard of other measures based on the same intention.

      So, there are ways to measure Quality of Life that economists and
      politicians can, if they wanted to, make use of. People need to
      insist their newspapers, TV News departments, and local and state
      leaders make use of them. The most fruitful strategy may be to focus
      on one, the GDI, as it seems to have a good start.

      I also recommend Thom Hartmann's "The Last Days of Ancient Sunlight" as
      he has made comments on this matter.

      "Accountants have to learn to subtract as well as add" [not an exact
      quote. not sure who said this.]

      I wouldn't mind doing some research on this question and writing an
      answer to publish. Comments, advice? Anyone want to help research?

      Daren Scot Wilson
      A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for.

      -- W. Shedd